Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Swedish Pizza Salad “Pizzasallad”

In Sweden this traditional salad is served in most pizza restaurants, because of its popularity it got the name pizza salad.  You can do this salad with only cabbage or with shallots, peppers and carrots.  Everyone includes either one of them or neither, it is really up to your taste.

I love this salad and it is so easy to make, on top of it, you can eat it the day after as well.

Pizza Salad

½ cabbage
½ shallot
1 red pepper
1 carrot

Dressing:
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup vinegar
¼ cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Shred the cabbage.  I use a Swedish cheese slicer to do that, but you can use a knife too. Then slice the shallot, red pepper, and shred the carrot and put it all into a bowl.  The dressing is prepared hot.  Put all the olive oil, vinegar, water, salt and pepper into a pot and head up to boil once it start boiling turn it off and pour over your salad and mix well. I suggest you put the salad into the refrigerator for a few hours to cool down and marinate.

11 Responses to “Swedish Pizza Salad “Pizzasallad””

Magnus — August 10, 2010 @ 10:26 am

For the Love of God: there is no carrot or shallot in real pizzasallad!

I’ve had pizza and pizzasallad from all over Sweden and I’ve never come across any with carrot in it.

• Delishhh replied: — August 27th, 2010 @ 9:11 pm

Magnus, you are right that the original pizza sallad has no onion or carrots, but today you see all variations of pizza sallad, i have even seen it with raisins. You should try it out, i am sure you would enjoy it.

NLP Practitioner · — November 4, 2010 @ 12:33 am

my 8 year old daughter always want me to take her to pizza restaurants because she loves to much pizza ,

Sara — February 28, 2011 @ 12:53 am

Magnus, how rude you are! The description very clearly says you can use carrots or not, based on your preference, and they aren’t seen in the picture. I love Sweden, and thank goodness all the people I’ve met there are nice, and don’t throw tantrums over recipes.

Delishhh, thanks for the great ideas!

Cooking Rookie — April 12, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

I am going to make it right for dinner right now :-) .

Magic of Spice — April 16, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

What a perfect and easy salad idea, love it! I have not heard of this before but it realy does look delicious :)

Mireya — June 8, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

Now that’s something I would have never thought of, but I can imagine it tasting great on black bread.

Cali Sweden's Diary - Page 25 - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum — September 12, 2011 @ 11:46 am

[...] all taste so different by who makes it. Some are vinegary, some oily, some with lots of spice. Swedish Pizza Salad My Recipes: Classic Swedish Pizza Salad Yes I've come to accept that when it gets close to totm, [...]

Minty Asian Coleslaw » Delishhh — September 3, 2012 @ 8:00 am

[...] love cabbage but not cabbage dowsed with mayo, every time I make a cabbage slaw I make Swedish Pizza Salad which I just love.  When I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it out.  It’s the same concept [...]

Wilma — February 20, 2013 @ 8:23 am

About carrot in pizza salad…. There is a pizzarestaurant in Smålandstenar in Sweden who has carrot in their pizzasalad……
    And its probably the best salad I have eaten!!!!

Agie — May 24, 2013 @ 11:18 am

Magnus I’m sure you haven’t been to every pizza place here in sweden! Some places might put carrots and shallots in their salad, sounds pretty good! The usual spice is oregano,basil and galic powder and some places add a bit of sugar. They don’t usually use olive oil but that’s good if you like it :) It’s not really a swedish recipe though, the iranian refugees brought it to sweden when they opened their pizza places in sweden in the 80′s.