Monday, April 5, 2010

Swedish Cinnamon Buns “Bullar”

I have to say Swedish Bullar is one of my favorite desserts.  It is very similar to a Cinnamon roll but not as sweet. The “bulle” is probably the most popular afternoon coffee snack in Sweden. We call these afternoon coffee breaks “fika.”  I like the definition of “fika” in Wikipedia “Fika, is both a verb and a noun in Swedish and has a broad definition. Essentially, it refers to a break from one’s activities in order to drink coffee or other drinks with friends, family or acquaintances. This tradition of a coffee break with a snack is central to Swedish culture, and Swedes are one of the world’s top coffee consumers.”  This is very true. Also while reading in Wikipedia I found out that the cinnamon roll is thought to have been invented in Sweden where it takes the name kanelbulle (literally: “cinnamon bun”).  And it is so popular that there is even a cinnamon roll day on October 4th in Sweden. Well you ask me how are these different from American cinnamon rolls?  I think American cinnamon rolls are a lot more sweet. We use cardamom and the buns are also baked in a very hot oven for just a few minutes. This makes them light and fluffy, with a nice brown surface yet not dry or over baked.  They are always baked in individual paper cups not muffin cups but bun cups that are slightly lower.  And last but not least there is no frosting or glaze.  Instead on Swedish bullar you use pearl sugar, which you can get in Ikea.

Let me know how it goes.

Swedish Cinnamon Buns “Bullar”

Dough

3 packages of dry yeast
1 cup of butter
2 cups of milk
½ tsp of salt
½ cup of sugar
5 -5 ½ cups of flour
2 tsp cardamom

Filling

Spreadable butter
Sugar
Cinnamon

Melt the butter and mix it with the milk in a pot.  Using a thermometer heat it until approx. 115 F and then pour it into a bowl. Add sugar and salt, stir. Mix the flour and the yeast together before pouring into the bowl and mix it with the rest.

Work the dough until it is smooth.  Put it aside and let it rise under cover in the bowl for 30-40 min.

After it has doubled in size divide the dough into 4 parts. Roll out each part until it is 1/4″ thick. Try to make it fairly square. Brush dough with the butter. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top of the butter to your taste. Roll up into a cylinder shape and cut each cylinder crosswise into 10-12 pieces. Put each piece into a muffin cup and place them in a warm place and let it rise again under cover for about 30 minutes. Brush the buns with an egg wash and then sprinkle with “pearl-sugar” (you can buy that at IKEA). Bake the buns in the middle of the oven for 7-10 minutes 475 F (225 C). Makes about 48 buns.  These freeze well and are great warm.

49 Responses to “Swedish Cinnamon Buns “Bullar””

Mike — April 5, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

I’m heading right over to take a fika now at the coffee shop. I’ve put on two pounds reading your blog!

• Delishhh replied: — April 5th, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

Mike, thanks for visiting, hopefully we can do fika soon.

Penny — April 6, 2010 @ 5:23 am

Hi Ewa! I love this recipe and it solves aproblem I had….my brother gave me a box of pearl sugar for Christmas and I had no recipes to use it. Thanks! Love your blog!

• Delishhh replied: — April 7th, 2010 @ 9:18 am

Penny, Glad you can use your Pearl Sugar. Let me know how they turn out. Thanks for visiting.

Biz — April 6, 2010 @ 7:37 am

Wow, those do look delicious! I might prefer yours over my cinnamon rolls as yours aren’t as sweet.

Happy Tuesday! :D

• Delishhh replied: — April 7th, 2010 @ 9:20 am

Hi, Thanks for visting. If you ever decide to do these let me know how it goes.

Traci — April 6, 2010 @ 9:32 pm

You are right. This does look delicious and I’m going to try it! Thanks for sharing!

• Delishhh replied: — April 7th, 2010 @ 9:24 am

Traci, they are delishhh! Let me know when you try them out.

Katarina — April 7, 2010 @ 11:24 am

Hej Ewa,
    Min dotter o jag bakade just dina bullar. Tack för jättebra recept, dom blev så goda!
    Hälsningar
    Katarina i San Diego, USA (grrringo)

• Delishhh replied: — April 7th, 2010 @ 8:08 pm

Katarina, Vad skoj att det blev bra. Tack för att du kom och hälsade på.

The Redhead Riter — April 10, 2010 @ 7:37 pm

They look beautifully delicious.

• Delishhh replied: — April 12th, 2010 @ 9:13 am

Hi, Thanks for visiting. I just went to your site and your chokolate cake looks so good. I have to save that recipe and try it out.

Jean Nelson — July 17, 2010 @ 9:04 pm

Hi…I love your pictures of the Swedish Cinnamon Bullar. I have been looking all over the internet for Bullar recipes and I have a question. Your recipe call for 1-1/2 to 2 cups of butter. I have printed out about 5 recipes and they all call for 1/2 cup butter. Everything else is about the same. I was really afraid to try your recipe for that reason. I did make some lovely Swedish Bullar and did use the pearl sugar…love it! Does that much butter really work? Should I try it? The taste of the ones I made were “Delishhh” but maybe a tiny bit doughy. I think maybe my cardamon was not as fresh as it should have been, but all things considered, definitely will make again and again. Thanks for your help.
    Oh, is there anywhere we can buy those special baking cups with the low sides or do you just use cupcake papers?

• Delishhh replied: — August 17th, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

Jean, I am so sorry for the late reply on this, but we move on the 16th of July and just now i am getting organized and back into it all. After i got your email i was looking at my old recipes and you were right. I must have had a typo or something else, i have no idea how i got so much butter in there. But THANK YOU for finding it. I have fixed it now so you should be good to go. As far as the baking cups you might want to try Ikea. But otherwise I just use regular cupcake papers. Another thing i do is put them all in a pan together and folks just break them apart, or you don’t have to use paper at all if you have a cupcake pan. And here is a secret for you – go to Ikea and get the prepaid mix, it is really good. So IF you ever need an emergency batch of Swedish Cinnamon Rolls those you can make quickly. I always have a box stashed in my pantry just in case. Thanks for stopping by and sorry for the late reply.

Saffron Buns “Lussekatter” — Delishhh — December 14, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

[...] Cake “Smörgåstårta” Swedish Cinnamon Buns Popovers with Cinnamon Butter Christmas [...]

Brioche Cinnabun — Delishhh — January 15, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

[...] Recipes Christmas Recipes Swedish Cinnamon Buns Doughnuts If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a Comment, Tweet, Stumble, Facebook [...]

I Had A Sleepover in IKEA | The Science of Style — December 4, 2011 @ 4:08 am

[...] up to the restaurant to be pumped full of bullar (Swedish buns), biscuits, and cocoa – we then picked bedlinen (to keep) to go make our [...]

cooking rookie — February 6, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

It’s been only a few days since I made these buns and my bf had 12 of them only to himself and they are almost gone. He’s definitely a huge fan :-) . I could not try them, because I am on a detox (no sugar, flour, butter,etc; cinnamon is probably the only ingredient of these buns that I can eat now :-) ). But I have half of the dough waiting for me in the freezer, and I will make a second batch for myself when the detox is over. For now, big thanks from my boyfriend, Ewa!

Feb 9: Ethiopian « Thursday Night Dinners — February 10, 2012 @ 7:39 am

[...] to complement all the spices in our meal.  I fell in love with cardamom early in life, via the baking of my Swedish grandmother.  I was well into my 20s before I realized that people other than Swedes use cardamom, and that it [...]

cooking rookie — April 5, 2012 @ 11:44 am

I made them again, this time with Nutella. Yum, yum!

Clara Edman — April 16, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

I read your recipe. Pretty close to mine. One note; that coffee break in the afternoon I call “High Coffee”. Usually the cinnamon rolls are served with a variety of cookies and “cakes”. Cakes in Sweden is not anything like the elaborate affairs we are used to but more of pound cakes variety in different flavors. No icing or other toppings. Consider serving this on a daily basis which they do for those who are at home. I also happened to have a great aunt who served fresh cinnamon rolls for breakfast! Breakfast was served early in the morning, not brunch time. I don’t think she got up at crack of dawn to make them. Crack of dawn where she lived could be anywhere from 2.00 am to 8.00 am depending on what time of the year it was.

• Delishhh replied: — April 18th, 2012 @ 3:17 pm

Clara – thank you so much for your comment. I was born and raised in Sweden and never heard of High Coffee – what is the term in Swedish?

One of My Favorite Sweets: The Cinnamon Bun | Sweet and Savoring — September 3, 2012 @ 5:43 am

[...] of any bulle, nor have I yet made them myself (gotta get over that fear of failure thing!), but here’s a recipe I found from someone who sounds like she knows what she’s talking [...]

Clara Edman — September 15, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

Your recipe is close to mine, but I don’t add salt. Also instead of making them into “rolls” I make them into knots. After I rolled the dough out and rolled into a long “snake” I cut it into about 2″ pieces and then cut each piece into 3 sections – two slices, not quite through, and 1 slice in between the two in the opposite direction, then I twist the piece into a knot. No need for paper cups. I just line the baking sheet with parchment paper and place my “knots” on top of it. No cleaning up of baking sheets and the rolls come right off. I bake them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. I usually get about 30-40 buns or rolls. I do freeze them for a perfect morning breakfast snack or what ever. I had a great aunt who always served fresh rolls first thing in the morning. Very yummy.
    I do believe in cardamon. I never measure how much, just dump in what looks right to me. I can never have enough of cardamom or cinnamon.

• Delishhh replied: — September 17th, 2012 @ 6:10 pm

Clara – thank you for stopping by, i bet your ‘bread’ version is amazing, and yes so much easier and not have to deal with paper cups. I might have to try your version next time.

business center Dubai — December 30, 2014 @ 1:51 am

Whether you manage a small-to-moderate sized a corporation that is grand
    or company, you could be considering expansion through opening a
    brand new division. Adding your organization ‘s products to a fresh market in a fresh place is an excellent strategy to gain company that is new, however there
    are economic hazards to be thought about. No-one can forecast the future, and goods or services which perform nicely in a single town may not do so well
    in still another. It’s a good idea to check your branch’s profit potential prior to creating
    a sizable investment in equipment and office leases.

kitchen plans — January 18, 2015 @ 6:04 am

Nearly nothing can get the type of influence on your living space that interior design that is good can. However, many people lack the appropriate knowledge of layout theories to take advantage of these
    houses. By heeding the guidance and advice in this piece, you will possess the tools that are necessary to produce your own retreat that you never want to
    depart.

what starlit dance floor hire — January 27, 2015 @ 4:19 am

Whether you’re a beginning or higher level tap or ballroom dancer, getting the right
    dance floors available for using during lessons, performances and exercise is
    essential to being able while offering the greatest amount of protection to your own physique to do the dance moves properly.

It is essential in case you are considering using dance lessons with an instructor that you just locate a dance studio that gives a dance floor suitable for your pursuit of tap or ballet dancing.
    A dancefloor that is proper can also be a consideration if you want to add some dancing flooring to an area of your
    home so that you can exercise once you wish. Although both of them
    are types of dance, ballet dancers and tap
    dancers require characteristics that are different from
    their boogie floors to be able to equally maintain their
    bodily well being while executing their favored style of boogie.

müzik organizasyon — January 29, 2015 @ 12:51 pm

When your wedding day occurs you would like it to be interesting, exciting, and unforgettable.
    And what better approach to include life to some
    marriage service or reception with live wedding songs than.
    Some other kinds of wedding music or wedding bands are a perfect method to include excitement to weddings and
    receptions. Using a orkestra kiralama to make a great experience for guests
    is getting to be very popular nowadays, and
    it’s also not difficult to find out the reason why since live wedding music offers a large amount of delight to
    get an unusually tiny sum of money.

wellington florists — January 29, 2015 @ 3:50 pm

A nearby florist will help you find the proper fresh flowers for any event.
    You may go to the shop yourself as well as pick out your blooms to produce an agreement even more private, using a local florist.
    Working using a neighborhood florist is going develop a personal connection with your florist.
    This relationship may create a big difference once you’ve got a requirement for a florist who’ll
    determine with what your looking for and make good tips for for family events for example
    funerals, weddings, or alternative events which happen in the
    future. An additional advantage of working with florist wellington is you are not
    unable to observe yourself how things will likely be achieved.

Once you are searching for the proper florist the culture of American Florists for your subsequent flowery shipping, indicate these pointers for you:

designers wedding dress — January 29, 2015 @ 4:37 pm

Although designer gowns are often high-priced, you will often find tremendous reductions if you
    know where (when) to appear. There are many reasons why a wedding dress designers
    may be on sale – and so on returns, over-stocking, seasonal blowouts,.
    Continue reading this guide to find out the best way to
    locate one at a price that is reasonable!Contrary to popular belief, there is no need to
    invest a bundle on a designer wedding dresses. There are
    numerous affordable gowns accessible. They may be difficult to locate, but they are really available.

No, you probably won’t unable to find a $2,000 dress unless you it’s
    just a custom-inspired replica. But in case you prefer an actual, brand name
    custom dress, you should really be reasonably generous with your budget.
    The concept is to get the perfect dress in the lowest cost possible.

Toddler Bed For Boys — January 31, 2015 @ 1:07 pm

Life assurance is not something people typically like to
    consider. Unfortunately, it is avoided by many people away of not completely comprehending it.
    Thinking of needing life insurance doesn’t have to be, even although it is frightening.
    It is very vital that you think of it and prepare yourself on what it really is and what life
    assurance policy actually does.

view private instagram — February 3, 2015 @ 9:23 am

Fresh business owners so suffer from budget restraints frequently, and are not
    mega-corporations. Social media-marketing strategies can be
    powerful and affordable compared to some advertising techniques
    that are traditional. Social media promotion is an effective approach without
    really breaking the lender in promotion prices, to contact millions of customers.
    Take a look at some of the very best SMM tricks about in this article below.
    With an implementation that is little, you are able to increase your marketing
    in a big way.

curtains and blinds — February 3, 2015 @ 7:19 pm

Drapes are crucial although in restraining the amount of light included, they not just
    add to the chambers but additionally assist. Drapes retain the disruption, as
    a result of unwanted issues, from the room and give privacy.
    Bedroom curtains also become insulators and proofers in the area.

3d printing uae — February 4, 2015 @ 10:26 am

Enterprise Resource Planning system has been implemented by all the firms to
    streamline their internal procedures as well as for
    a smooth flow of information inside the companies’ various functional departments.
    A great deal of time, money and efforts are mixed up in ERP implementation process.
    The cost of ERP execution changes and depends on many variables.
    The size of the business process’ intricacy and the company additionally decide the
    price of ERP implementation. ERP entails a huge investment as well as
    an effective evaluation of the costs should be performed prior to the enactment.
    Many procedures which increase the price of ERP implementation are included by ERP’s execution. The services are offered by the ERP
    adviser at an at a price and also it also is an important determinant.

Primary schools in Dubai — February 4, 2015 @ 7:13 pm

It will still hold many surprises for you personally, although there are
    plenty of things that you can do to plan international
    school in Dubai! This report will offer you
    a bit of sound guidance on the best way to complete courses,
    university life and all the other obstacles that you will
    encounter in your efforts to attain college.

digital agency Dubai — February 5, 2015 @ 2:12 am

Several website building resources can be found in today’s market;
    however, most will light in comparison. Learn to
    make your dreams possible. If you use the tools that are right, your wishes can be realized.
    Continue reading to understand more Online Marketing Dubai suggestions to add to your
    arsenal.

information management — February 5, 2015 @ 3:55 am

Picking an ERP system (Enterprise Resource Planning) is the
    thing that every business must-do sooner or later.
    Sadly this is not a simple job in any way because ERP systems are extremely sophisticated
    software designed to to handle numerous business components.

Selecting the right ERP program might end up being a minefield.

Luckily there are some choice factors that can be of a great assistance about selecting ERP methods when it comes.
    The selection can depend on a mix of both, on industry criteria or on functional standards.
    Budget is another criterion that is important, also.

money transfer services — February 7, 2015 @ 4:56 am

Half the world’s adults don’t possess a banking account.
    This leaves them unable to manage unforeseen events like
    sickness or natural catastrophes in the family.
    The method of online money transfer offers a solution for the 2.5 million grownups who are currently unbanked.
    The advanced approach enables people to work with the internet
    to deliver money, on debit cards that are re-loadable,
    to friends and their loved ones abroad. The get access to valuable services which they would otherwise lack,
    giving they unbanked a debit card.

van signage — February 10, 2015 @ 8:14 pm

When you’re operating at a location that is prone to injuries,
    you require shop signs to direct you with all of your undertakings.
    Although most businesses would offer great training
    on the respective processes and tasks, you still require
    panels or the health and car signage. The security symbols and indications could
    be tough to remember, especially whether there
    are several indicators to be remembered. In a manufacturing scenario that is typical, the employee course must be advised
    regarding the security measures along with the safety
    equipment that they need to take while they are at perform.

business process outsourcing — February 11, 2015 @ 3:26 pm

In other failures, when an ERP does not deliver business
    advantages, it termed a dead loss. In most cases,
    firm seeking to implement an ERP has some idea concerning the regions that could gain upon ERP execution.
    Increase inventory turns, or when a business is unable to
    cut back stock by 6%, or reduce the level or decrease company risks it has to be termed as a failed
    enactment. Just writing a PO or an Indent can not be consider achievement.
    That’s setting the bar too low for yourself in addition to for ERP.

indian restaurants — February 12, 2015 @ 11:41 am

You’ll have to select an area wherever your new enterprise can prosper when you’ve
    decided to begin a restaurant business. Place is of great importance to a restaurant business’ stability.
    There are lots of other things to think about while you know you need
    a restaurant location that is good with a lot of room like indian delivery auckland.
    The following offers a list of selection criteria that might be used to evaluate how good a particular location is.

Website Design Dubai — February 25, 2015 @ 10:51 am

Net style can be attractive when the developer is not unaware
    of the things they’re doing. Layout methods that are great can make
    the distinction between an forgettable web site and a memorably
    unique one. You need to understand what you’re doing in terms of seo company Dubai.

Keep reading to learn some tricks which will help your website is taken by you to
    another level.

cloud computing services Saudi Arabia — February 26, 2015 @ 5:46 am

The New Fuss About Business

three customer service — February 26, 2015 @ 11:27 am

If cellular marketing has not been used by you to advertise, you have to take into account this hottest promotion method.
    Read this entire informative article for some excellent guidance about it
    and notice if it really is an excellent fit-for you.
    It could be the best kind promotion that you’ve hit on yet.

Easy Summer Dessert Recipes — February 26, 2015 @ 2:45 pm

Throughout summer, there are numerous activities that you simply need your
    family to become involved in. But while such matters
    are being searched for by you, you need to also begin your quest for quick and easy summer dessert recipes.

You must always put their health into consideration. The elements is not cold and you may all perspire a lot.
    You would like them to stay on the very top
    in their shape despite such state. The very best that you can do
    in order to achieve it is always to make them eat.

Chocolate Chip Cake — February 27, 2015 @ 1:29 am

Each of us knows that how to make chocolate cake
    is one of the most easy desserts to prepare but not
    everybody can make it enchantingly, much like the ones that we have
    in pastry shops and restaurants. For you to bake chocolate cake that you and your household
    will certainly love here’s a dessert recipe for you.

vodafone customer service — February 27, 2015 @ 3:04 am

Irrespective of if you enjoy it or not believe it, vodafone customer services| vodafone customer
    service number is a significant part the business world of promotion in today’s.
    Only look about and you may notice examples of it every where –
    from text messaging, to in-game advertising, to the net that is mobile.
    This article will provide strategies to make use of it to best fit your requirements.

florists — February 27, 2015 @ 3:11 am

A local florist can help you discover the right fresh flowers for almost any event.

You could go to the store yourself and select
    your blooms to produce an arrangement a lot more private by using a nearby
    florist. Working using a district florist is
    going produce a personal connection with your flower shop.
    This connection can make a big difference if you have a need for
    a flower shop who will identify in what you’re searching for and make great suggestions for family occasions like weddings funerals, or
    other occasions which occur in the future. Yet another benefit of operating using a
    community florist is you are able to see how things will likely
    be achieved. If you’re looking for the correct florist the culture of florist Auckland for your next floral delivery, would suggest
    the following pointers for you: