Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Swedish Chocolate Balls “Chokladbollar”

I don’t think there is one kid in Sweden that does not know what a chocolate ball is.  Now these days it has a few new names, chocolate ball, coconut ball, oat ball, it changed name probably in the 80′s to be more politically correct.  I am not going to say it but I grew up with it called The “N” word ball.

The reason it is so popular with kids is that it does not involve any knives or heat.  You just mix all the ingredients together and you can eat it right after.  What kid wouldn’t want that dessert?

And if you were lucky it passed the test for your parents of being eaten on other days than Saturdays, the only day eating candy was allowed. Yes, as a kid in Sweden eating candy was only allowed on Saturdays. They even make candy bags in the stores that are named, “Saturday Candy.”  Every week when our neighborhood kids got their Saturday allowance we used to run to the kiosk and get mixed candy for our allowance.

This Chocolate ball I enjoy even as an adult, and deep down it still doesn’t feel as sinful as eating candy.

I roll these balls in coconut flakes, but you can roll them in pearl sugar or not roll them at all.  Also it includes coffee, as a kid I used to use instant coffee and it worked just fine. These days I just make an espresso and use a tablespoon of that.

Enjoy!

Swedish Chocolate Balls “Chokladbollar”

1/4 lb or 1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
1 tbsp strong coffee (cold)
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa

Roll in coconut flakes or pearl sugar

Mix butter, sugar and coffee together first and then add all the other ingredients.  Make sure the butter is mixed in well.  The batter should be easy to roll and not too sticky, you can adjust consistency with oats or coffee.

Roll batter into about 25 small balls and roll them in pearl sugar or coconut flakes.

Refrigerate for about 2 hours.

27 Responses to “Swedish Chocolate Balls “Chokladbollar””

PlanningQueen — April 15, 2010 @ 5:30 am

These do look delicious! Have bookmarked it and will give them a try.

Gillian — April 17, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

What a great idea to have Saturday Candy. It levitates sweet treats up to nearly religious heights. Actually wouldn’t it be a great name for a sweet shop!

These are great chocolates and I was surprised that they tasted so good … and a little healthy …

And may I say what a lovely mouthwatering blog … may I visit again??? ;-)

• Delishhh replied: — April 18th, 2010 @ 8:58 pm

Gillian, I know i agree about the Saturday Candy. Please come again. Thanks for visiting.

Rachel — April 18, 2010 @ 8:52 am

Those look AMAZING!

I’ll be sending these off to my daughter…the one who is an aspiring pastry chef.

Thanks for sharing. Your blog is awesome.

Blessings to you.

• Delishhh replied: — April 18th, 2010 @ 9:00 pm

Rachel, Send me your daughters blog if she has one. You also have a great blog very personal and touching. Thanks for visiting. Come back soon.

Sarah — April 18, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

Ooooh…. I’ll be keeping these in mind for my next rainy day baking project :)

• Delishhh replied: — April 18th, 2010 @ 9:00 pm

Sarah, When you do make them please let me know how they come out. Thanks for visiting. Come back soon.

Swedish Chocolate Balls : Frosted Fantasie — September 21, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

[...] I first saw these Swedish Chocolate Balls over at Delishhh I knew I had to make them. They are simple, require no baking, and is [...]

Susan Callaghan — September 26, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

Made these tonight … for my mum’s birthday and they smell amazing :O Very messy to make but a lot of fun!! xx

• Delishhh replied: — November 29th, 2010 @ 11:06 am

Susan, I love to hear when my readers make some of my recipes. Did you by any chance take pictures?

Christmas Round-Up & Winner! « — December 23, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

[...] Swedish Chocolate Balls from Delishhh [...]

Robin — December 25, 2010 @ 7:56 pm

Just had a trip to Stockholm a couple months ago and fell in love with these along with my afternoon coffee. So of course I had to look up the recipe – these were fabul! thanks for posting this!

• Delishhh replied: — December 26th, 2010 @ 8:46 pm

Oh Robin, i am so glad you enjoyed them. Some people don’t like them grainy so a trick is to make this in the food processor. You can also get them in Ikea as well. How was your trip to Stockholm? Was there any other food that you really enjoyed? Hope to see you here again.

Sesame Seed Snaps — Delishhh — January 19, 2011 @ 10:23 pm

[...] you read my story about Swedish Chocolate Balls you know that most Swedish kids only eat candy on Saturdays, if you missed it here is the story.  [...]

Joanie — January 23, 2011 @ 9:00 am

We lived in Sweden for 2 years and these were a favorite of our children and one we still make today back in the USA! It is nice to hear the adult kids come home and say “Where are the Swedish Chocolate Balls?”

No-Bake Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Oatmeal Cookies (Cow Patties) — Delishhh — January 27, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

[...] am a huge fan of No bake cookies, the first one I mentioned were the Swedish Chocolate Balls that I used to make as a kid.  This batch I got from The Brown Eyed Baker who recommended this for [...]

Cow Patties: No bake chocolate, peanut butter, and oatmeal cookies — January 29, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

[...] am a huge fan of no bake cookies, the first one I mentioned were the Swedish Chocolate Balls that I used to make as a kid.  This batch I got from The Brown Eyed Baker who recommended this for [...]

Swedish chocolate — April 4, 2011 @ 8:51 am

Hey, good recipe! I always make swedish chocolate and balls, I also blog here about it. Check out my page if you would like. swedish chocolate

Take care!

Javad Amini — August 26, 2011 @ 6:18 am

Best ever!!

Kate@Diethood — September 23, 2012 @ 9:19 am

I could finish these delicious gems all on my own…no help needed. I love the combination of flavors. I would wish it was Saturday every day! :)

Sue Corcoran — August 12, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

Something’s not right…I followed recipe precisely and cannot get them to roll into balls…entirely too crumbly. Adding liquid (I.e. more coffe) won’t do it. Am going to try more butter…they need more “sticking power”. Are you sure measurements are correct?

• Delishhh replied: — August 24th, 2013 @ 7:40 pm

Sue,

So sorry for the late reply. How did it go? I made this recipe at least once a month or so. I know the measurements are good. Was the butter soft enough? That is my only thought it has to be soft or you can’t really roll the balls.

top personal training courses — May 16, 2014 @ 10:43 am

This is the right website for everyone who wants to find out about this topic.
    You realize so much its almost tough to argue
    with you (not that I personally would want to…HaHa). You
    definitely put a brand new spin on a topic that has been written about
    for years. Excellent stuff, just excellent!

Asparagus Dip - Daily Dish Recipes — May 25, 2014 @ 5:33 am

[...] her for a long time and I already knew there were some things I was wanting to try. Like these Swedish Chocolate Balls (which are on our too make list next week), Thai Chicken with Plum Ginger Sauce and this German [...]

best treatment — July 21, 2014 @ 9:33 am

Heya exceptional blog! Does running a blog similar to this require a lot
    of work? I’ve very little knowledge of coding however
    I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future.

Anyways, should you have any recommendations or techniques for new blog owners please share.
    I understand this is off subject but I simply wanted
    to ask. Thank you!

houses bought for cash — September 23, 2014 @ 3:43 am

Thanks , I’ve recently been searching for info approximately
    this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I have discovered so far.
    But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you certain concerning the source?

Eva — October 5, 2014 @ 9:43 am

My family is Swedish living in America as well! And my name is Eva too. I love chokladbollar (we used the other name growing up) so much I just had to find a recipe online today :)
    Anyway, we only did candy on saturday too. I had no idea it was a Swedish thing!