Friday, June 11, 2010

Fish Sauce with Thai Chilis – “Prik Nam Pla” – Thai Condiment

Picture from Cook Asian food

If you are ever in Thailand you will always get served 4 Thai Condiments.  They usually come with your food on a little plate with 4 little dishes, you might wonder what they are or just never used them.  But I use one of them ALL the time for my Thai cooking.

1. Prik Nam Pla –  My favorite Thai condiment that I use for all Thai food is Thai chili (“prik”) with fish sauce (“nam pla”).  Put two thirds of a cup of chopped Thai chili peppers in a 1 pint jar, and fill with fish sauce. Seal and keep for a week before using.  Some people like this fresh some people like theirs after a few days. I like mine after few days. Also there are variations to this sauce some add lime juice or brown sugar as well.  I prefer the basic version.

The other 3 I do not use as much but here they are. Some restaurants also serve other chili sauces as condiments but these are the usual 3 you get.

1. Prik Dong – Put two thirds of a cup of chopped Thai chili peppers in a 1 pint jar, and fill with white rice vinegar.
  2. Plain white sugar – You add sugar to a Thai dish if it is too spicy. It might happen that if you are in Thailand and you are going to a touristy place your food will be pretty sweet.  That is because they have added sugar to the dish to make it less spicy.  If you do not want them to do this you have to tell them you want “Thai spicy” to make sure you get authentic Thai food.
  3. Ground Chili Powder – This is the 4th condiment on the little plate, just add some of this if you want it more spicy.

Thai chilies or also called Bird’s eye chili are one of the hottest chills out there, so once you have been cutting these please make sure you wash your hands really well.  I even recommend using gloves cutting these things.

You can buy bird chilies in most grocery stores  but if they don’t; carry it you might have to go to an Asian grocery stores.  I pack them in plastic wrap and freeze them in zip-lock bags for later use.

Enjoy!

22 Responses to “Fish Sauce with Thai Chilis – “Prik Nam Pla” – Thai Condiment”

Karolina — June 11, 2010 @ 8:16 am

I have been using nam pla last night and I though again: it stinks but it taste great! ;) And it does. Now I cannot imagine cooking without fish sauce or oyster sauce. As a nam pla lover please check out my blog for stir fry in caramel sauce, a part of new 5 or less ingredients series. :)

• Delishhh replied: — June 12th, 2010 @ 7:28 am

Karolina – Yes, yes very funny, it does sting but so good. Oh i will have to check out the stir fry in caramel sause, that sounds fabulous. Thanks for stopping by.

Anna Jones — June 14, 2010 @ 11:10 am

Mmmm!!! I think I personally like the first one, Prik Nam Pla. I love fish sauce. It brings out the flavor of any thai dish. Is there any particular fish sauce brand that you recommend?

• Delishhh replied: — June 17th, 2010 @ 9:30 am

Anna – Yes, i agree. I buy my fish sauce at the Asian store here isn Seattle. I don’t get the local store fish sauce like Pacific Rim Gourmet they have. I like to get the importerted stuff, but don’t have a specific brand that i always get. Let me know if you find a good one you like.

Yum Woon Sen – A Versatile Spicy Thai Noodle Salad | Fairbanks Fantastic Foods and Feasts — August 6, 2010 @ 3:27 am

[...] and place in a tiny bowl. Add a couple of spoonfuls of fish sauce to the bowl. This is called Prik Nam Pla and it is a classic Thai condiment. Pass the Prik Nam Pla with the salad and let people determine [...]

Mohammed Hughes — August 22, 2010 @ 11:28 am

i find asian foods to be a bit spicy compared to italian foods**.

Can Crusher · — November 3, 2010 @ 11:22 am

i just love to much italian foods because of italian spices and juicy sauces _

Prada Outlet — July 14, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

Case a few things i wanted. I used to be not necessarily planning on which i’d obtain a great deal out of studying your own write down! You’ve simply earned your going back customer

Moncler online — August 17, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

Thanks for your post. I also believe laptop computers have gotten more and more popular today, and now will often be the only form of computer utilized in a household. The reason is that at the same time that they are becoming more and more reasonably priced, their working power is growing to the point where these are as strong as desktop computers through just a few years ago.

Cary — September 11, 2011 @ 10:22 pm

What is up, nice site. I enjoy your layout. I simply ended cosmetic classes and wish to set up my own website. Thanks for the wonderful publish!

a855755 — October 29, 2011 @ 12:33 am

855755 beers on the wall. sck was here

Leonel Debruyn — November 5, 2012 @ 4:38 am

i love to eat italian foods since they are quite spicy. -

Most up to date article from our new blog site

Beginners Guide to Thai Food - worldtravelfamily.com — October 5, 2013 @ 7:09 pm

[...] fish sauce ( Prik Nam Pla ) or vinegar and ground dries dried chillies and pastes. Make your own Thai condiments [...]

cat behavior problems — May 7, 2014 @ 10:02 am

They’ll aree all about cat behavior however a lot more regrettable.
    A series of clotting tests may bee done to ensure your senior cat has a weight provlem or health issues.

homepage — May 22, 2014 @ 9:05 pm

After exploring a number of the blog articles on your web site, I seriously appreciate your way of blogging.
    I bookmarked it to my bookmark webpage list and will
    be checking back soon. Please check out my website too and tell me what you think.

Johnny — June 22, 2014 @ 6:22 am

You actually make it seem so easy along with your
    presentation however I in finding this matter to
    be actually one thing that I think I’d by no means understand.
    It seems too complicated and very vast for me. I am taking a look
    ahead for your next submit, I will attempt to get the cling of it!

silver look — June 23, 2014 @ 8:17 pm

I hardly leave a response, but i did some searching and wound up here Fish Sauce
    with Thai Chilis – “Prik Nam Pla” – Thai Condiment ?
    Delishhh. And I do have some questions for you if you don’t mind.

Could it be just me or does it look as if like
    some of these comments look like written by brain dead folks?
    :-P And, if you are posting at additional social sites, I’d like
    to keep up with everything new you have to post.
    Would you make a list of all of all your community pages like your
    linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

dpg.bz — June 27, 2014 @ 4:59 am

Searching african american hair blogs for Child
    Models OnlineThe advent off the most potential. It was, for instance.
    However, except last year; if not provided then you will discover.

Oncee this occurs, the content material or blog each week than it is a part of their
    Twitter timelines. Being aware of should also be
    well advised to stick with proven weight loss.

pure leverage — June 28, 2014 @ 7:52 pm

I’d like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this blog.

I’m hoping to see the same high-grade content from you
    later on as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my very own blog now ;)

phodic asphalt 8 — July 2, 2014 @ 2:12 am

Multi-tasking capability possesses never been this simpler with Faster 1GHz A4 Brand.
    Alibaba give different level certifications to different wholesale seller, such as “”gold member”" or “”trust member”".
    It is nice for a “show of game” to show your friends
    and family what your device can do.

my top tier business — July 6, 2014 @ 12:46 pm

You’re so awesome! I don’t suppose I have read a single thing like that before.
    So wonderful to find somebody with original thoughts on this subject.
    Really.. thanks for starting this up. This site is something that is required on the web, someone
    with some originality!

popular mobile — July 16, 2014 @ 4:04 am

Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?
    There’s a lot of people that I think would really appreciate
    your content. Please let me know. Cheers