Monday, October 18, 2010

Sweet Potato Soup

If you recently started reading my blog you might think that I just post soup recipes.  That is not true.  But it is fall and I am a soup lover so I have been making lots of soups, but they are all delicious and I love to share them with you.

Once in a while I end up with a bunch of vegetables in my refrigerator that I have not used and they might go bad so I take them all out put them on the counter and wonder what I can make with them, 99% of the time I make stock.  But this time I had a bunch of sweet potatoes.  I was browsing online and found this great little Thanksgiving recipe on Simply Recipes.  My family is not going to want soup during Thanksgiving since they need to leave space for ribs and turkey, so I decided to try the soup out.

I was a little surprised but this soup was delicious. It is creamy, little sweet and hint of cinnamon.  It is a perfect dish to server for the fall, Thanksgiving or the holidays.

Sweet Potato Soup

Prep time: 20 minutes | Serves: 6-8

2 Tbsp (1/4 stick) butter
1 cup chopped onion
2 small celery stalks, chopped
1 medium leek, sliced (white and pale green parts only)
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1 1/2 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 Tbsp honey

Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add chopped celery stalks and leek, sauté about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes.

Add sweet potatoes, chicken stock, cinnamon stick, and nutmeg; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

Remove cinnamon stick and discard. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return to pot.

Add half and half and honey and stir over medium-low heat to heat through. Season soup

8 Responses to “Sweet Potato Soup”

My Kitchen in the Rockies — October 18, 2010 @ 8:13 am

What an interesting twist using honey, cinnamon and nutmeg. I have to try this.
    I like soup recipes. Bring them on!

Privet and Holly — October 18, 2010 @ 8:55 am

Souper post {hee hee}!!
    Seriously, I can never have
    enough in my arsenal and
    this one sounds delicious
    with all the lovely fall spices.
    I’ll look forward to trying it!
    xx Suzanne

Carrie — October 18, 2010 @ 10:18 am

I just realized that I haven’t bought a sweet potato in months! Egads! Though I did buy 4 large acorn squashes, thinking they could be used as a substitute? Probably not as good.

Design Elements — October 18, 2010 @ 11:43 am

wow! your blog is delicious 🙂 I’ll try to cook this soup during the wekkend! Thanks for your nice comment. Lovely greetings from Germany

Maddie — October 18, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

I’ve never seen a soup recipe with a hit of cinnamon like this, but it makes so much sense with sweet potatoes! Alternatively, I bet it’d be easy to change up the spices and make a totally different-tasting soup. So many soup possibilities, so little time!

Juliana — October 18, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

Wow, this soup sounds good, very appropriate for the weather and the season…love the idea of cinnamon and honey for an extra sweet flavor 🙂

Will — October 19, 2010 @ 12:48 am

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog for 10 things yesterday!

I like sweet potatos but I’ve never tried it as a soup – thanks for the inspiration!

Will

E — October 19, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

Soups and fall are pretty much synonymous in my mind. This looks amazing!

It was great to meet you yesterday! And to answer your question, I blog about my job some, but not much. Partially because of confidentiality stuff, but if you have any questions, let me know!