Friday, November 12, 2010

Turkey Stuffing

Stuffing food has been around for while.  People stuff all kinds of things from birds, to beef, to vegetables.  You can really just use your imagination for stuffing.  Traditionally thanksgiving stuffing has always been bread based but I know folks that use just fruits and nuts as their stuffing.  Some people even stuff their turkey with oysters.

The question is always do we stuff the turkey or do we do the stuffing outside?  I usually do both but I always think the stuffing that you make outside of the turkey always tastes better. I am curious what other people thing.

We also always make double this recipe since stuffing seems to go fast and I love leftovers.

Original Recipe comes from Garvick.com but with several adjustments over the years.  The paper recipe that I had for this is stained crumbled and with a bunch of notes on it.  I am glad I finally got it into the computer.

Turkey Stuffing

Yields: 3-4 cups   | Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 60 minutes

¼ cup butter
4 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup fresh chopped mushrooms
1 large onion finely chopped
1 cup celery finely chopped (3 stalks)
8 oz of fried bacon bits
4 cups of croutons
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp thyme
¼ tsp dried marjoram
¼ tsp dried parsley
¼ tsp ground sage
¼ tsp celery seed
1 ¼ cup chicken stock

Make sure you have croutons and chicken stock prepared, if not prepare that first.

Then brown garlic in butter in a pot. Add mushrooms and sauté. Add the rest of the vegetables and cook until they begin to soften about 5 minutes.  Prepare the bacon in the side until medium brown and then add that to the vegetable mixture. Lower heat to medium and add bread cubes and seasonings.

Continue cooking for approximately 5 more minutes stirring continuously. Add hot vegetable stock and mix well. Cover and cook over low heat for at least 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until bread cubes have broken down.  The secret to a good turkey stuffing is in the slow cooking and the frequent stirring.

Place in a covered casserole dish and back for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven.

Other Thanksgiving Recipes:

Cranberry and White Chocolate Streusel Bars
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Frosting
Butternut Sqaush Apple Soup
Butternut Squash Purée with Orange, Ginger, and Honey

17 Responses to “Turkey Stuffing”

My Kitchen in the Rockies — November 12, 2010 @ 8:10 am

I always keep stuffing and Turkey separate. They say not to eat the stuffing inside the Turkey, since it isn’t done when the Turkey is done and you will be eating all the collected underdone bacteria turkey juices with the inside stuffing. Makes sense to me.
    Your stuffing sounds very yummy!

Dinetonite — November 12, 2010 @ 8:16 am

wow! That was looking Delicious

KandiLand — November 12, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

Oooh. I love turkey stuffing. It’s my favorite Thanksgiving dish!

I have to say I LOVE the design of your blog. The white is such a beautiful backdrop for the photos on the sidebars. 🙂

Unplanned Cooking — November 12, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

As far as I’m concerned, stuffing + gravy are the best part of the Thanksgiving meal. Thanks for the recipe:)!

Following from Blog Frog.

LimeCake — November 12, 2010 @ 11:01 pm

wow this stuffing is really loaded with so many good thing! it looks delicious!

Danyelle — November 12, 2010 @ 11:24 pm

Visiting from blogfrog!
    please visit and follow back at;
    What an amazing site! I’m so glad I subscribed, looking forward to your great recipes!

Debbie — November 13, 2010 @ 7:30 am

oh wow! LOVE your blog. I can’t wait to browse. ( I’m from Blog frog and the Mckmama community) I’m following you via google reader now.

Lalas Pequenos — November 13, 2010 @ 10:07 am

It does look delish!
    We cook the stuffing inside and then scoop it out and cook it for an additional time in the oven. It comes out super moist!

» Thanksgiving Ideas & Inspiration — November 15, 2010 @ 12:12 am

[…] For the recipe go here. […]

Eliana — November 17, 2010 @ 8:06 pm

This is Thanksgiving perfect right here. Love it!

Carrot Pudding Cake — Delishhh — November 18, 2010 @ 9:56 am

[…] Turkey Stuffing […]

Amanda — November 18, 2010 @ 4:05 pm

This looks wonderful! I love homemade stuffing 🙂

Deeba — November 18, 2010 @ 7:48 pm

I have always been intrigued by turkey and stuffing, and I love your home made version. Lovely!

Anniversary and Giveaway! — Delishhh — February 13, 2011 @ 7:02 pm

[…] November 2010 – Turkey Stuffing […]

Italian Wedding Soup with Turkey Meatballs — November 18, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

[…] Turkey Stuffing Gravy Mashed Potatoes Fresh Green Salad Brussel Sprouts in a mustard sauce Roasted Beet Salad Fresh […]

Squash Salad with Oranges and Olives — November 18, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

[…] haves for Thanksgiving (my husband says so).   We are doing the Turkey of course, with the best stuffing, and mashed potatoes and gravy. Then my husband’s mother always made this traditional carrot […]

Merlene Buttz — December 25, 2014 @ 10:59 pm

Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thanks, However I am experiencing issues with your RSS. I don’t know the reason why I am unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody having similar RSS problems? Anyone who knows the solution can you kindly respond? Thanks!!|