Monday, November 15, 2010

Carrot Pudding Cake

This is one of those recipes I started making because my mother-in-law used to make it and my husband loved it as a kid.  Now I really enjoy having it every thanksgiving dinner as a side dish.  I have no idea why it is called pudding but it is more of moist carrot bread consistency, and makes a great simple side dish.  Plus it holds very well in the refrigerator and you can make it days ahead of time if you have a lot to do on Thanksgiving Day.  I know there is a lot of versions of carrot pudding cakes out there, the reason I like this one is that is it not too sweet and goes really well as a side dish vs. dessert. I have made versions with raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg etc. but I always go back to this recipe at the end, which comes from my mother-in-law. I am curious to know if others make this during the holidays?

Carrot Pudding Cake

Yields: 6-8 | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes

1 lbs of grated carrots (about 5 carrots)
1 tsp baking soda which you dissolve in 2 tbsp of hot water
2 tsp of baking powder
¾ cup sugar
¾ cups dark brown sugar
2 cups of flour
¾ cup butter melted
4 eggs whites
¼ tsp salt

Turn on the over to 350 F.

Grate the carrots with a hand grater or in the food processor. Set aside

In a mixer, food processor, or by hand, cream the butter with the sugar. Add in the flour with the baking soda/water, baking powder, and salt. Add carrots . Mix thoroughly.

On the side beat the egg whites and then fold into the mixture.

Bake in a greased bunt pan 350F for about 45 minutes.

Other Thanksgiving Recipes:

Cranberry and White Chocolate Streusel Bars
Turkey Stuffing
Butternut Sqaush Apple Soup

Butternut Squash Purée with Orange, Ginger, and Honey

14 Responses to “Carrot Pudding Cake”

Laura Elorza — November 15, 2010 @ 11:28 pm

Hi! Your cake looks YUMMY! 🙂 My grandma use to make a great carrot bunt cake, that was very moist. I remember she had pecans in it too. I LOVED it, even though I didn’t like carrots at the time I was very young back then.
    I’d love to post this on my blog with a link back here giving you credit. Please let me know if it’s okay, I don’t want to post it before I know.
    One more thing, I am wanting to start a food blog, I’ve been thinking about it for months now. I want to make a blog where I make meals out of whatever I can find in the kitchen. You know those days when you’ve been to busy or too poor to shop and you keep looking wondering what the heck you can come up with. I need to come up with a catchy name, do you have a name or tip you can help me with?
    Thank you once again and your site looks so good it’s making me hungry!
    Happy Thanksgiving! 🙂
    Laura AKA Smart Moms Saving Money

• Delishhh replied: — November 16th, 2010 @ 11:58 am

Laura – That is good to know about your grandmother, i am still very curious where this comes from. Yes – you are welcome to post this on your blog with a link back. Thanks so much for asking.

In regards to a food blog – i love it – you will have so much fun with it. For me it is like therapy. Names? What about “Kitchen Bits and Pieces” or “kitchen bits” or “in my cupboard” I am not sure if any of these are available but hopefully a good start for brainstorming. Once you do decide let me know what it is.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lisa~Korean American Mommy — November 16, 2010 @ 5:23 pm

I must say I have never tried a carrot pudding cake. But from the recipe and photos it looks like a super moist cake that you won’t feel bad eating more than one slice. And how sweet of you to make something your husband loved as a child. You’re a good wifey!

Maddie — November 17, 2010 @ 7:27 am

Anything with cinnamon equals holiday-appropriate, in my mind. And now that I have a food processor, things like carrot cake and zucchini bread are so much easier to make — grating takes about two seconds! Perfect for the always-busy months of November and December.

Tweets that mention Carrot Pudding Cake — Delishhh -- Topsy.com — November 17, 2010 @ 10:08 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Delishhh, Delishhh. Delishhh said: Carrot Pudding Cake http://goo.gl/fb/hYkRM […]

Megan — November 17, 2010 @ 10:47 am

This looks so moist and I love the pieces of carrots running through it. Looks perfect for the holiday!

Kitchen Butterfly — November 17, 2010 @ 2:54 pm

Love the bundt pan and the carrot streaks through it are superb

The Damsel in Dis Dress — November 17, 2010 @ 7:29 pm

Goodness! That looks so amazing. I’m saving this to try soon.

Eliana — November 17, 2010 @ 8:05 pm

I may have to add this to my Thanksgiving meal! It looks and sounds incredible.

Rich — November 18, 2010 @ 7:45 am

Pudding, cake … semantics, right? Regardless, it looks delicious!

Jamie — November 21, 2010 @ 11:59 am

Oh my goodness, this look amazing! My family loves carrot cake, so I’ll have to give this one a try.

Marisa — November 12, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

I make a similar recipe but call it a Carrot Ring and we put simply cooked peas in the center and serve as the main course. I love this dish too. More traditional at Easter than Thanksgiving for us.

Italian Wedding Soup with Turkey Meatballs — November 18, 2012 @ 8:21 pm

[…] Entree: Turkey Stuffing Gravy Mashed Potatoes Fresh Green Salad Brussel Sprouts in a mustard sauce Roasted Beet Salad Fresh Baked Rolls Cranberry Orange Molds Carrot Pudding Cake […]

Larraine Ion — December 19, 2014 @ 1:48 am

Valuable information. Fortunate me I found your site accidentally, and I am shocked why this coincidence did not came about earlier! I bookmarked it.