Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Rye Bread – Swedish Limpa

Limpa is probably one of the most known Swedish Breads.  Growing up I remember limpa as every day bread.   I think today you can find all kinds of recipes for this bread, with anise, orange peel, syrup, molasses etc.  But I like it to have it as my regular bread and not sweet.  It is a really solid bread and very simple to make.  I don’t think you can mess this bread up.  But it is delicious, easy to freeze, and holds fresh for days if you keep it in foil or plastic.  This recipe makes 3 loafs, I usually freeze two of them.  Also I do not use a bread pan for this only a cookie sheet.

For the picture above I only used whole wheat flour and all purpose flour, but the original recipe calls for whole wheat and rye flour mixture.  I have done it both ways and both ways are great.  It just usually depends what i have available.

Rye Bread “Swedish Limpa”

Yields: 3 loafs | Prep Time: 3 ½ hours | Bakes: 1 hour

4 cups water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsp caraway seeds
2 tsp fennel seeds
2 tbsp margarine
2 tsp grated orange rind
2 packages of quick dry yeast (4 tsp)
6 cups all purpose flour
4 cups whole wheat and rye flour mixture (60% whole wheat 40% rye flour)
2 tsp salt (to be added after 1st rising)

In a saucepan boil water, sugar, caraway, fennel, butter, orange rind for about 3 minutes.  Then let cool until lukewarm.  Once that is lukewarm add the yeast and stir thoroughly.

In a separate bowl mix the all purpose flour and the whole wheat flour.  Using a mixer add 6 cups of the flour into the mixer and then pour in the yeast mixture.  It becomes a soft dough.  Once that mixture in well mixed place it in a buttered bowl and let it rise until double in size, about 1 ½ hours.

After it has doubled in size punch down on the dough and work in the rest of the flour and salt either using your hands or a stand mixer.

Once that is mixed in well enough put it back into a buttered bowl and let it rise again until it doubles in size.

After that on a powdered kitchen counter start kneading the dough until smooth, and form into 3 loaves that you can place on a cookie sheet with parchment/wax paper underneath.  It is fine if they are all next to each other.  These will not fit very well in a bread pan unless you make them into smaller sizes.

Let them rise again for about 30-45 minutes.  They will be touching each other at this point but that is ok.

Bake at 350 F for about 1 hour, you may have to cover them with foil for the last 15 min if they do get too dark.

Enjoy!

13 Responses to “Rye Bread – Swedish Limpa”

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday — January 6, 2011 @ 6:49 am

You don’t use rye flour in this bread?

• Delishhh replied: — January 6th, 2011 @ 7:43 am

Samatha – Thank you! I made the change to show the the original recipe that i had shows 60% wheat and 40% rye, however, i have done both ways and it works great with 100% wheat or 80/20 wheat/rye mixture or 60/40 wheat/rye mixture it is really whatever your preference is or whatever your have in your pantry. But thanks for the comment i really appreciate it.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday — January 6, 2011 @ 7:44 am

Thanks!
    Out of curiosity, what kind of rye do you use? Is it a light rye?

• Delishhh replied: — January 6th, 2011 @ 8:25 am

Samantha – Yes, it depends what store i go to. If i go to my local store i usually get the light rye flour by Bob’s Red Mill – http://www.bobsredmill.com/light-rye-flour.html. But if i am in Whole Foods they have a lot more choices.

Megan — January 7, 2011 @ 7:39 am

This makes me want a pastrami sandwich! 😉

Splendid Willow — January 7, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

Ahhhwww. Fresh, warm limpa with butter and Swedish cheese. Heavenly!

Happy weekend to you dear friend.

ox Mon

Maddie — January 9, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

Oh yum, Ewa. I like that you don’t make this too sweet…it means you can enjoy a little more in one sitting without having a sugar overdose. 🙂

Linnea i Alabama — January 23, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

TACK! Jag är så glad över att jag hittade din blogg! Jag har limpabstinens!

Apple and Carrot Bran Muffins — Delishhh — April 2, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

[…] Blueberry Quinoa Pecan Muffins Maple Spice Muffins Chocolate Banana Bread Rye Bread – Swedish Limpa […]

Raspberry Orange Muffins — Delishhh — April 18, 2011 @ 5:01 am

[…] Apple and Carrot Bran Muffins Blueberry Quinoa Pecan Muffins Maple Spice Muffins Swedish Rye Limpa […]

Whole Wheat Sandwich Loaf — Delishhh — December 5, 2011 @ 8:01 am

[…] the winter months i love to star making bread – there is nothing as awesome as warm fresh bread out of the oven with some real butter on it.  This Whole Wheat Sandwich load fits that bill.  I […]

Secret Recipe Club: Limpa (Swedish Rye Bread) | Crumb: A Food Blog — January 7, 2013 @ 9:00 am

[…] Limpa (Swedish Rye Bread) Author: Adapted from Delishhh Recipe type: Bread Prep time:  3 hours Cook time:  1 hour Total time:  […]

mouse click on url_domain — January 4, 2015 @ 7:19 am

This blog was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me. Kudos!|