Monday, March 21, 2011

Mocha Brownies

Sometime you see a recipe and you read the instructions and wonder how that is going to turn out.  Well, this is one of those recipes.  Not only did i have to try it because of how different it was but it sounded good too.  I saw this recipe awhile ago on Tasty Kitchen and saved it.  I made it recently for a dinner party and it was a huge hit.  There is nothing normal with this brownie at all.  First you make the brownie mix and pour in into the pan and then your pour coffee all over it.  When I did this i just stared at it and through it was going to be a dissaster.  But boy was I wrong.  What comes out of the oven is this delicious chocolate and coffee brownie that is out of this world, and it is very easy to make too.  But before you go and make this I do have to warn you:  this brownie is VERY rich.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Mocha Brownies

Yields: 8 servings | Prep Time 20 Minutes | Cook Time 40 Minutes

¾ cups granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
? tsp salt
1 piece unsweetened chocolate (1 Square)
2 tbsp butter
½ cups whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cups brown sugar
½ cups granulated sugar (additional)
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 cup cold espresso or cold strong coffee

Turn oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together 3/4 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

Melt square of unsweetened chocolate and butter in the microwave. Add to dry ingredients alternately with the milk and vanilla. Blend. Pour into a greased 8×8 pan.

Combine brown sugar, the 1/2 cup additional granulated sugar and cocoa powder. Sprinkle over the cake batter. Pour the one cup COLD coffee on top. Do not stir. Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

Serve warm with ice cream or whipping cream.

32 Responses to “Mocha Brownies”

Privet and Holly — March 21, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

Yowzer! This looks truly
    amazing!! Thank you for
    the warning, too….I’ll
    make sure we have a
    very light dinner the night
    that I try THIS : )
    xx Suzanne

Sneh | Cook Republic — March 21, 2011 @ 10:56 pm

All I can think of is becoming tiny like in “Honey I Shrunk The Kids” and swimming in all that chocolate *swoooooons*

honeybee — March 22, 2011 @ 3:58 am

Super delicious. I cannot wait to try this recipe this weekend. I have this bookmark already. Thanks.
    Best Beauty Tips from Kim Kardashian

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 22, 2011 @ 6:03 am

Those look amazing!!!

carolinaheartstrings — March 22, 2011 @ 8:20 am

Now that is my kind of brownie. This looks fantastic!

IslandEAT — March 22, 2011 @ 9:16 am

Hi, Ewa. It looks as if you made a classic self-saucing brownie pudding, AKA, “hot-fudge pie” or “brownie pudding” and various other names. This dish was very big in the 1970s and 1980s in the US. But the recipes often did not have coffee, so the espresso version is very good.

Thanks,

Dan

Maddie — March 22, 2011 @ 9:53 am

For my birthday one year, a roommate made me a Texas sheet cake, which has you pour chocolate syrup over the freshly-baked cake. I’ve never tried a recipe in which you pour liquid over the unbaked batter! But with results like yours, I’m clearly going to have to try.

sonia — March 22, 2011 @ 10:29 am

What a lovely mocha brownie… its looking wonderful and yummy, I am craving to have a bite right now from ur blog. I always look forward to ur inviting recipes…cheers !

Alena — March 22, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

WOW. I would never have thought to pour coffee over it! Yum.

Cookin' Canuck — March 22, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

I am so intrigued by this brownie – coffee on top (wow!) – and am definitely going to give it a try.

Splendid Willow — March 22, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

I have had it! I have had it! And it was delicious!!!! (:

Warm hugs to you my friend.

Mon

Amanda — March 23, 2011 @ 5:28 am

Holy cow, that looks totally droolworthy!!

Elizabeth — March 23, 2011 @ 5:34 am

Oh man! This looks seriously good.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — March 23, 2011 @ 5:50 am

Oh my goodness I’m drooling over these Mocha Brownies! They look sooo insanely good. I would gladly eat the whole entire pan of them. :)

Sara @ Saucy Dipper — March 23, 2011 @ 10:27 am

Who needs normal? This gooey deliciousness should be put in a class of its own. My my.

Kankana — March 23, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

Who can say No to that .. looks soo delicious!

Darina — March 23, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

This sounds amazing. I love a good brownie. This is almost like a brownie pudding, an easy recipe with which you can’t go wrong.

Sarah — March 26, 2011 @ 2:09 am

Could you be more specific about how much chocolate is required? How much does one piece/square of chocolate weigh??

Megan — March 27, 2011 @ 10:24 am

My MIL makes a cake similar to this but she pours boiling water over it. This sounds much better with the brownie and coffee! A must make.

• Delishhh replied: — March 27th, 2011 @ 10:33 am

Hmm Boiling Water? First i thought that might not be good, but it might just turn out less sweet and more pudding like. I might just have to try that. This kind of open up the imagination for more, what if you poured over coca cola? Hmm. . interesting.

Charlotta — March 27, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

OMG!
    I have no words other than that..
    So up my alley.. only I am doing a detox so I can’t have any..

xx Charlotta

Elle — March 28, 2011 @ 5:55 am

Oh. First food I look at this morning and it’s this! Pure torture, you know. Want!

Shelby — March 30, 2011 @ 12:25 am

This is what we call Chocolate Pudding Cake….and we love it!

deeba — March 31, 2011 @ 7:31 am

Right up my street..this is drop dead delicious Ewa!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — March 31, 2011 @ 8:28 am

I’ve wondered about that Tasty Kitchen recipe too! It looks gorgeously sinful!

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) — April 4, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Someone would have to be walking around with a labotomy to not drooooool over those brownies. I’m dead serious. :)

Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls — April 20, 2011 @ 9:04 am

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Juanita Cook — December 13, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

My MIL makes a cake similar to this but she pours boiling water over it. This looks and sounds both unusual and fantastic, I’d love to try to make it gluten-free! I’ve wondered about that Tasty Kitchen recipe too! This is what we call Chocolate Pudding Cake….and we love it!

The Caffeine Addict’s Molten Mocha Brownie | Gradually Ginger — July 11, 2012 @ 5:06 pm

[...] to Delishhh for the recipe [...]

Faith Friday + Mocha Brownies « Kids in the Sink — July 13, 2012 @ 6:49 am

[...] Mocha brownies from Delishhh, whipped cream from About.com Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like [...]

Mocha Lava Fudgy Brownie « foodiliciousnan — September 11, 2012 @ 2:32 am

[...] this blog‘s caffeine-addict’s molten mocha brownie which was in turn inspired by this self-saucing mocha brownie. It is a cross between a brownie and a molten lava cake, as the blogger puts it, and it really is [...]

Candice Stout — March 10, 2013 @ 10:25 am

This gooey deliciousness should be put in a class of its own. Hi, Ewa. I’ve never tried a recipe in which you pour liquid over the unbaked batter!