Monday, April 4, 2011

Pink Grapefruit and Campari Sorbet

My favorite apéritif is Campari and orange juice.  If you have never had Campari before it is a bitter liquor that is dark red.  Most people drink it with soda water, wine or other juices.  When you mix it with organge juice it tastes just like grapefruit juice and very refreshing, one of my favorite drinks during a hot summer night.

Pink grapefruits have been on sale here and I thought why not make grapefruit sorbet.

The trick I learned to making a good sorbet is that you need to make a simple syrup to sweeten it, straight sugar won’t have a good texture.  Then the mixture needs a dash of alcohol to inhibit the freezing process, otherwise your sorbet will be a brick. This formula is very easy and it should work with any fruit, just be sure to taste the mixture for sweetness and acid.

Grapefruit, sweetness and Campari a perfect mix.  You have to like the grapefruit/bitter flavor or this is not for you.  I love it, so refreshing.

A few tips here.  Use fresh juice, and room temperature fruits will yield much more juice than chilled ones.

The rule of thought it that for every 1 cup of juice, you use ½ cup of sugar and 2 tbsp of alcohol.

Pink Grapefruit and Campari Sorbet

Yields: One Quart | Prep Time: 15 minutes

4 cups of pink grapefruit juice (about 4 pink grapefruits)
2 cups sugar
4 tbsp of Campari

Prepare an ice bath and put aside. Then in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and ½ cup of the pink grapefruit juice. Bring to a boil then lower heat to medium and cook until the sugar has completely dissolved, 8-10 minutes. Transfer the syrup to your pink grapefruit juice and set over an ice bath. Stir occasionally until cooled to room temperature, add the Campari.

Once the mixture has cooled, freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Other Similar Recipes:
Peach Sorbet

Honey Ice Cream
Chocolate Gelato

Last Year: Passover Traditions, Kugel and Brisket

18 Responses to “Pink Grapefruit and Campari Sorbet”

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — April 4, 2011 @ 11:13 pm

That sounds really refreshing, perfect for a hot summer night.

Mandie — April 5, 2011 @ 5:17 am

It looks delicious! I haven’t sorbet in awhile but it’s getting to be that season again :)

carolinaheartstrings — April 5, 2011 @ 11:34 am

Wow. This looks so good. You could win awards with this recipe!!!!

Juliana — April 5, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

Wow, this is so refreshing…icy cocktail…very nice. Great pictures as well. Have a great week ahead :-)

Suzanne — April 5, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

looks mighty freshing my dear, love the photo of it on TS!

Splendid Willow — April 5, 2011 @ 8:55 pm

Ohh, that sounds refreshing! I will long for it even more when it gets a bit warmer!

Warm hugs to you my friend

Mon

P.S I got 14 (!) stumble messages from you – so I have seen a lot grapefruit and Campari today! Ha! (:

Privet and Holly — April 6, 2011 @ 3:37 am

I’m missing the wonderful
    grapefruit that we had on
    the tree outside of our door
    when we were on holiday!!
    I never knew that the secret
    for sorbet was a touch of
    alcohol. Very, very cool.
    xx Suzanne

sonia — April 6, 2011 @ 7:21 am

The sorbet is looking too good and refreshing, wanted to have it right now !

Barbara @moderncomfortfood — April 6, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

Ewa, this recipe is simply splendid. It will be perfect for our hot late spring/summer/fall days and nights here in FL, and, better yet, I can use my own home grown grapefruits for it. You’re recipes are always so well thought out and special. Can’t wait to try this one.

Cookin' Canuck — April 6, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

This sounds so refreshing, Ewa. What a lovely combination of flavors.

Megan — April 7, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

It sounds so fancy yet so easy. And so refreshing.

Miel Abeille — April 7, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

My mouth is watering! This sounds like a great, refreshing treat for hot summer days! I’ll be coming back to give this a whirl!

Elle (Bromography) — April 8, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

This looks wonderfully refreshing and perfect for the coming summer season. Thanks for sharing.

Tiffany — April 8, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Wow, although I am not a big fan of grapefruit, I absolutely love your photos! You have a great eye for color and composition!

Kim - Liv Life — April 11, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

MMM!!! I’m loving this! Grapefruit is a favorite in my house and I’m eager to make this myself!!

sumi — April 12, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

Site looks awesome, hummm grafefruit is my favorite. Thanks for sharing.

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — April 20, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

I’ve never made sorbet, but you’ve inspired me to try. You make it sound SO easy. Thanks for sharing. And your photos are just beautiful!! I love the sorbet dish.

The Bathtub Gin(ger) « The Five O'Clock Cocktail Blog — November 8, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

[...] #4: Brainstorm other possible ingredients. Remember the beauty that is grapefruit-Campari sorbet. Graft Campari and a splash of sloe gin onto WGC [...]