Monday, July 18, 2011

French Potato Salad

This is the Secret Recipe Club “assignment!”  Every month you get a name of a blog and you need to choose ANY recipe from that blog and then blog about that recipe by a date.  It’s a secret because the blog owner does not know you are doing this until the reveal date.  My secret blog this month was  A Spoon Full of Thyme which is written by Kate.   Kate has a great food blog with a lot of delicious recipes,  I had a hard time narrowing down of what to make.  But it is summer time and lots of BBQ are going on, I wanted to make a new potato salad and Kate had this great French Potato Salad on here that I wanted to try.  I am not a fan of potato salads with mayo but usually just make mine with onion, olive oil and vinegar but this sounded delicious and needed to try it.  And it is definitely a keeper.  My only recommendation is use to use young potatoes.  To me young potatoes are the best, they are small, solid and they do not crumble.  Young potatoes were one of my favorite things growing up in Sweden.  Here you can usually find them during the summer time. And of course I keep the skin on, but you can always peel your potatoes if you want to.

French Potato Salad

Adapted from: A Spoon Full of Thyme

Yields: 6 servings | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes

1 pound small white boiling potatoes
1 pound small red boiling potatoes
2 tbsp good dry white wine
2 tbsp chicken stock
3 tbsp Champagne vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
10 tbsp good olive oil
1/4 cup minced scallions (white and green parts)
2 Tbsp minced fresh dill
2 Tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
2 Tbsp chiffonade of fresh basil leaves

Drop the white and red potatoes into a large pot of boiling salted water and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Drain in a colander and place a towel over the potatoes to allow them to steam for 10 more minutes. As soon as you can handle them, cut in 1/2 (quarters if the potatoes are larger) and place in a medium bowl. Toss gently with the wine and chicken stock. Allow the liquids to soak into the warm potatoes before proceeding.

Combine the vinegar, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion. Add the vinaigrette to the potatoes. Add the scallions, dill, parsley, basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.

One Year Ago: Croutons

57 Responses to “French Potato Salad”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 18, 2011 @ 4:09 am

i’ve never heard of french potato salad, but it sounds amazing! i love the simple, light flavors…i’m sure it’s completely delicious!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 18, 2011 @ 6:52 am

I’ve never heard of this version but I’m glad I have now! No eggs OR mayo = perfect ;)

amanda @ fake ginger — July 18, 2011 @ 9:23 am

Mmm, I like the looks of the recipes. Simple, fresh, and delicious!

Faith — July 18, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Love this dish. Looks really great :)

I hope you have a wonderful week ahead.

Magdalena — July 18, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Hello ! I love baby potatoes with various herbs like you present here. Yumm!
    One of our most favorite French potato preparation is: boiled potatoes, frech thyme, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and freshly chopped shallots. Just FYI. Kind regards :) Magdalena

carolinaheartstrings — July 18, 2011 @ 11:22 am

That looks so yummy. I love dill and potatoes in any form. Great picture.

Corina — July 18, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

I’m not a fan of really creamy potato salads so i love the fact that this one seems quite light but still really tasty.

Marla — July 18, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

I am not usually a fan of potato salad but this one could change my mind. Maybe because it is French…..Fun being in the SRC with you :)

Kate — July 18, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

This is a fun event! Thank you for trying my recipe. I am glad that you liked the French Potato Salad. Using small red potatoes is an excellent idea.

Shelby — July 18, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

Eva, this looks delish! ;)

Jeanette — July 18, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

Nice choice for SRC – love that his potato salad doesn’t have any mayonnaise in it, perfect for a summer BBQ or picnic!

Maris(In Good Taste) — July 18, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

Love that there is no mayo involved in this. Bookmarked!

Kimberly — July 18, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

Beautiful pictures … and a recipe that’s going on my “to-make” list immediately!

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z — July 18, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

French potato salad is absolutely the best . Your version looks delicious. Great pics too.

Lisa~~ — July 18, 2011 @ 6:40 pm

So simple and delicious looking.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Holy Guacamole.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

sonia — July 18, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

The potato salad is looking so gud and must be delish too, am sure and cant resist making a bowl for myself. Have a great week ahead, sonia !

Claire@My Costume Express — July 19, 2011 @ 1:24 am

I love potatoes! This is one of my favorite root crops. And this French Potato Salad looks really delicious. I would definitely try this recipe. Thank you.

Heidi @ Food Doodles — July 19, 2011 @ 7:29 am

That looks great! I love that there’s no mayo and the dill looks so yummy! I love my potato salad with fresh dill :) Very nice pictures!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — July 19, 2011 @ 8:30 am

This sounds divine! What a fun ‘secret recipe’ idea!

sara — July 19, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

I’m also loving the Secret Recipe Club – it’s so much fun!! :) This potato salad looks fantastic – I agree that potato salads without mayo are super yummy!

Magic of Spice — July 19, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

That is simply gorgeous! Beautiful flavors and wonderful photos :)

Liz — July 19, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

I think that’s the most gorgeous bowl of potato salad I’ve ever seen! Stunning…and delectable. Lovely selection for the SRC~

Joyti — July 19, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

That sounds quite delicious. Nice and fresh…and a way better summer side than the traditional mayo-based potato salad.

gloria — July 19, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

I love potato salad and this look amaziing! Thnaks for stopping by, gloria

Chaya — July 19, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

This sounds like a light salad, perfect for the summer. It certainly is presented beautifully. Yes, this is fun.

Island Vittles — July 19, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

I love your photos of this delicious sounding potato salad — lovely! Theresa

Kristy — July 19, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

This recipe sounds delicious! Perfect for summer. I’d love to grab a fork and try a bite!

Jessica — July 19, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

That is a beautiful looking potato salad! I love mayonnaise-based potato salads, but the vinaigrette on this one sounds delicious.

Kim - Liv Life — July 19, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

I’m always on the market for a good potato salad and my mom is a huge fan of dill. This one is for her! Nicely done!

Sanjeeta kk — July 19, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

Oh…I may not get the red potatoes here..but this just look divine! Refreshing and so colorful. Thanks for coming to my blog, glad to have found this lovely space. Yes it is fun being a part in SRC.

BigFatBaker — July 19, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

I love all the herbs in this potato salad, it sounds fabulous!

Tamar — July 19, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

It reminds me of my German friend’s potato salad b/c they use olive oil, too.

Splendid Willow — July 19, 2011 @ 10:59 pm

Splendid! I wonder if a few capers could be added too? I love capers with potatoes.

What a fun series! I’ll bet someone will highlight you soon! (If they have not already ):

ox, Mon

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — July 19, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

This is my favorite way to make potato salad, with a vinaigrette and lots of great herbs!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — July 20, 2011 @ 10:57 am

I started making French Potato Salad a couple of summers ago. I fondly recall how I used to love a sour cream potato salad that I’ve been making for…well, forever, but now this is my favorite. With a garden full of herbs and a salad that offers no threat of spoiling, it’s the perfect addition to our backyard festivities.

The red skin potatoes and all of the green herbs? Well, great photo and an even greater dish. Love it.

Suzan@Internet Business Strategies — July 20, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

The French potato salad looks yummy to me. I can tell how delicious it is. Thank you for providing the complete recipe. I just love making salads. This one will definitely be my next experiment. I can’t wait for your next delishhh recipe.

Jan — July 20, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

I love potato salads with non-mayo dressings. Can’t wait to give this one a try :)

Jennifer (Savor) — July 21, 2011 @ 2:57 am

Love potatosalad and taking part in the SRC with you!

Aggie — July 21, 2011 @ 4:56 am

This club sounds fun! This potato salad looks great!

Kelly — July 21, 2011 @ 8:08 am

This potato salad looks absolutely delicious!! What a great recipe!! :)

Maria — July 21, 2011 @ 8:52 am

Great potato salad for summer!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — July 21, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Oh, this sounds so delicious! I like the mayo-based salads for fall and winter and lighter ones with oil and vinegar for summer. Can’t wait to try this version.

Carolyn — July 23, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

How did I miss this on my first pass through the blog hop links? This looks amazing! Great pick for the SRC.

Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy — July 25, 2011 @ 8:29 am

I’m always on the lookout for mayo-free dairy-free potato salads. This looks like one I definitely need to try!

Amy @ A Little Nosh — July 29, 2011 @ 6:16 am

I always keep the skin on my potatoes. Love it that way!

Glad to be part of SRC with you!

Eliana — August 11, 2011 @ 6:19 am

I have never liked potato salad but this one here may very well change that. Love the burst of color from all the herbs and most of all that it has no mayo. Seems so much more flavorful that regular potato salad and one that I will be trying vert soon for sure.

• Delishhh replied: — August 11th, 2011 @ 7:15 am

Eliana – I am with you – i never liked potato salad with mayo – this one i love.

Mads — August 12, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

What a fun idea!
    I wish I had enough recipe posts to participate. Waaa waaaa
    I’ve been craving German potato salad lately, but French potato salad sounds really good too. Num!

Candace — September 11, 2011 @ 4:22 pm

I made this for a party last night and everyone loved it. Thanks for posting this recipe!

• Delishhh replied: — September 11th, 2011 @ 7:46 pm

Candace – Thank you for coming back and letting me know – i love to hear from readers. Glad you like the Salad – it is one of my favorites.

Best Recipes in 2011 — Delishhh — January 3, 2012 @ 8:55 am

[...] 3. French Potato Salad [...]

Delishhh » Rotisserie Chicken » Delishhh — July 23, 2012 @ 9:07 am

[...] Year Ago: French Potato Salad Two Years Ago: Croutons Posted by Delishhh on July 23, 2012 Leave a Comment » [...]

Karen — September 5, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

I took this to a party and everyone loved it. I found it was way too much olive oil and I added two hard cook eggs and 1/2 med cucumber pealed and cut into small pieces.

• Delishhh replied: — September 6th, 2012 @ 8:06 am

Karen – thank you for sending me an email on this. I will try to remake the recipe and adjust the olive oil. Did you put the dressing on while the potatoes where hot, i think it does make a difference. If so would you recommend 1/2 the olive oil or how did you prefer it.

Plum and Mascarpone Pie — September 10, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

[...] of the other awesome things we had were chicken and beef kebabs, quinoa tabbouleh, potato salad, honeydew and arugula salad, it was so good and delicious.  The best part is we sat outside and [...]

Sam — July 17, 2013 @ 11:29 pm

this french potato salad recipe is pretty much from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.

Dry fried string green beans recipes — September 28, 2013 @ 11:23 am

looks healthy, that’s why i want to learn your recipes