Monday, August 29, 2011

Muffin Pan Potato Gratins

I loved this idea of a Muffin Pan Potato Gratin. I am a potato lover and when I saw this recipe from Kate’s Kitchen and she mentions that this is a recipe she makes over and over again I knew I had to try it.  I love potatoes and grating is something I just make sometimes since I end up eating the whole thing.  In this recipe you only have to make as many as you eat.  You could use all 12 muffins cups but you don’t have to.

This is the Secret Recipe Club “assignment!”  Every month you get a name of a blog and you need to choose ANY recipe from that blog and then blog about that recipe by a date.  It’s a secret because the blog owner does not know you are doing this until the reveal date.  My secret blog this month was Kate’s Kitchen which is written by Kate.   Kate is a financial planner and lives in Indianapolis and she lives to cook.  Her blog is adorable and had so many delicious recipes to choose from.  But when I came across this one I just had to try it out.  And it is a keeper.

Muffin Pan Potatoes Gratins

Adapted from:  Kate’s Kitchen

Yields 12 servings | Prep Time 20 minutes | Bake: 35 minutes

“B” sized red potatoes
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
Garlic powder or 1 clove of garlic
12 tsp finely shredded romano, parmesan cheese or gruyere cheese
12 tbsp of Horizon Dairy Organic Cream

Turn on the over to 400F.

Slice the potatoes very thinly with the skin on.  A mandoline is best.  Spray muffin tins with cooking spray or brush them with unsalted Horizon Dairy Butter.

Lay two slices of potato in each muffin cup.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder or garlic.

Add two more slices.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and a little grated cheese about 1 tsp per muffin cup.  Add two more slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Keep adding slices and varying the seasoning as you wish.  End with just salt and pepper.

Pour one tablespoon of cream over each individual gratin.

Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes.

One Year Ago:  Basil Pesto

46 Responses to “Muffin Pan Potato Gratins”

Noelle @Opera Singer in the Kitchen — August 29, 2011 @ 5:50 am

YEAH! These look so good! Great choice!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 29, 2011 @ 6:29 am

This is pure 100% genius!!!

Faith — August 29, 2011 @ 7:25 am

great looking and I bet the flavour is amazing. I can imagine how great it would taste. Love the pictures.

kateiscooking — August 29, 2011 @ 8:25 am

Good Morning Ewa! Thank you for your kind words 🙂 You chose one of my all-time favorites!! Love your blog. I’ll be back to snag that pesto pasta salad recipe! Take Care, Kate

Steph@PlainChicken.com — August 29, 2011 @ 8:39 am

I make these too – I love them. So simple and they taste amazing. Great pick for the SRC!

Rhonda — August 29, 2011 @ 10:14 am

I love this idea! Potatoes are always welcome in my house!

Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet) — August 29, 2011 @ 10:49 am

What a great idea…the gratin cooks much faster that way, and the portion size is perfect! Wonder if you can freeze the leftovers for later? Thanks for a great SRC posting!!!

Jo — August 29, 2011 @ 11:31 am

I agree with Wendy, a quicker cooing easy to serve gratin is perfect! Looks so yummy!

Oh, It's Just Perfect! — August 29, 2011 @ 11:45 am

YUM!! I’m half Irish so I’m partial to potatoes. Haha. These look so pretty too. The portion is perfect until I end up eating all of them.

Pam @ From Apples To Zucchini — August 29, 2011 @ 11:50 am

With me, you can’t go wrong with potatoes, and these look amazing! I would have never thought to do little stacks like that and they are just adorable!

The Café Sucré Farine — August 29, 2011 @ 11:53 am

You have a beautiful blog! Love this recipe too, I always enjoy new ways of serving common, everyday foods. thanks, Chris

Eliot — August 29, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

I love individual portion control recipes like this. They look amazing.

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 29, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

These look so, so awesome!

Lisa~~ — August 29, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

I love this idea and they look gorgeous and delicious.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my Group ‘A” ~ SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

kita — August 29, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

If those are little bites of perfection I don’t know what could be. How perfect! Muffin portioned potato gratin! All the love none of the guilt. Perfect – and wonderful choice for SRC!

Magic of Spice — August 29, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

What a lovely way to prepare potato gratins…they look wonderfully delicious!

Manu — August 29, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

Oh yum! This is a great idea for a delicious and not boring side dish! I love it! 🙂 Great pick for the SRC post!

Trisha — August 29, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

Looks wonderful and the best part is you can adjust the seasoning to your liking!

heather — August 29, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

oh my goodness, those look awesome. Great job photographing them, as it is making me very hungry right now and it is like 10:30 at night, lol. good job with the SRC. If you haven’t already, check out my fun little Cake Pop recipe I posted from group b 🙂 http://itsyummytomytummy.blogspot.com/2011/08/cake-pops.html

Gloria — August 29, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

I think muffin tins are made for more than muffins. Your mini gratins look perfect and enticingly delicious. A fun and different potato presentation. Nice pick for SRC!

Tamar — August 29, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

I love potatoes, too and your presentation and food photography are perfect.

Liz — August 30, 2011 @ 7:28 am

I found this recipe on Kate’s Kitchen, too….SO good! Great choice for this month’s SRC 🙂

Rosa — August 30, 2011 @ 10:38 am

A marvelous idea! Those look so pretty and delicious.

Cheers,

Rosa

Laura @ The First Mess — August 30, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

You are a genius! Totally doing this for the next dinner party with some new yukon minis 🙂

Chris and Amy — August 30, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

We make a sweet potato version in muffin tins as well. It really is a fabulous trick!

cindy — August 30, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

What a fun recipe, I love that I can make as many or as few as I need. We are empty-nesters now so this is a perfect recipe for two! Looks delish!

mjskit — August 30, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

I LOVE this idea of using a muffin pan! How smart is that? Great recipe. One that I’ll definitely be trying.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — August 30, 2011 @ 10:04 pm

How cute are those?! What a great presentation.

carolinaheartstrings — August 31, 2011 @ 11:44 am

What a great idea for single serving sizes. Perfection. The recipe looks just delicious.

Erin — August 31, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

Love the simplicity of these delicious looking individual gratins. How great would that be for a dinner party – individual pretty little gratins. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Becs — August 31, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

Mouth is watering. What a great idea and as the other commenters say, very simple!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — September 1, 2011 @ 8:48 am

These look wonderful!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — September 1, 2011 @ 9:27 am

Love this! So clever.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — September 1, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Great SRC choice- these look fantastic! So creative.

Jane Bonacci - The Heritage Cook — September 2, 2011 @ 9:43 pm

Wonderful choice for SRC – I can’t wait to make these!

Jane Bonacci - The Heritage Cook — September 2, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

Just discovered CommentLuv thanks to you! What a great add-on!!

Marla — September 3, 2011 @ 6:30 am

Girl, these potato stacks look crazy good! Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my post for September 🙂 http://su.pr/1Sizv9
    Would also love these linked to my “happy post” if you wish 🙂

Style Maniac — September 25, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

I am a savory girl through and through so this looks like just about the best thing ever to use a muffin pan for. Delish indeed.

Kristen — September 26, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

I’m loving these little potato gratins. What a great idea to do it in a muffin tin.

Barbara | Creative Culinary — October 1, 2011 @ 7:10 am

Oh Goodness. In every single way.

Leslie Horne — December 5, 2011 @ 11:40 pm

I’m loving these little potato gratins. Oh Goodness. Love your blog. Your mini gratins look perfect and enticingly delicious.

Reva Weiss — December 11, 2011 @ 7:38 am

So clever. Hi!

Rotisserie Leg of Lamb » Delishhh — August 20, 2012 @ 7:36 am

[…] in 90F in front of the grill was exhausting.  But the lamb was delicious.  I served it with Muffin Potato Gratins and my favorite Tomato and Green Bean Salad. Then for dessert we had some Rum Raisin Ice Cream to […]

stairlifts delaware — April 17, 2013 @ 5:58 am

I really enjoyed this blog post

Ruthie — July 8, 2013 @ 5:18 am

These look simply delicious and adorable. Can’t wait to try them!

rökt jalapenorecept — October 18, 2013 @ 10:39 am

You really cause it to sound easy using your demonstration even so to locate this trouble being truly another thing that we feel I had certainly not realize. It kind of feels very intricate and massive for me personally. My business is looking towards your future publish, I will make an effort to get the hang on to than it!