Monday, October 10, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Snickerdoodle Bar

It is fall and this year I have been just baking away with pumpkin.  I love the stuff, I never used to but that changed a few years ago.  This Pumpkin Pie Snickerdoodle Bar recipe is delicious. The bottom layer is like a blondie brownie and then covered by a layer of pumpkin pie filling. Sprinkled with a cinnamon sugar on top and baked into a delicious bar with white chocolate on top.  But the bar is even better the day after.  Great recipe for those that want something different to pumpkin pie.

It was time for another Secret Recipe Club “assignment!”  Every month you get a name of a blog and you need to choose ANY recipe from that blog and then blog about that recipe by a date.  It’s a secret because the blog owner does not know you are doing this until the reveal date.  My secret blog this month was Megan’s Cookin which is written by Megan who lives in northern California.  Megan loves to cook and makes everything from amazing cakes to delicious looking Filet Mignon with Cognac Sauce.  I also really enjoy reading about her wine pairing parties.  If you haven’t been to her food blog check it out. This Pumpkin Pie Snickerdoodle Bar recipe was a huge hit and Megan has many more pumpkin recipes as well.

Pumpkin Pie Snickerdoodle Bars

Yields: 9×13 inch pan | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Bakes Time: 40 minutes

Adapted from: Megan’s Cookin

Snickerdoodle Layer
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, at room temperature
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla

Pumpkin Pie Spice (2 tsp)
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Topping
2 tbsp white sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Drizzle
1 oz white chocolate, chopped
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch pan and lay a piece of parchment paper across the pan, so that it extends the pan slightly. The parchment paper is an optional step, but it will make it easier to get the bars out later.

To make snickerdoodle layer – Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. In large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth.

Stir in the flour mixture until well blended. Spread evenly in prepared pan (mixture will be thick just like cookie dough).

To make pumpkin pie spice – Mix all the spices and set aside.

To make pumpkin pie filling – In a mixer bowl (you can use the same one you used to make the snickerdoodle batter) with a paddle attachment, mix together butter and sugar. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined. This layer will be less thick and more pourable. Pour over the snickerdoodle layer, smoothing out the top.

Combine white sugar and cinnamon in a little bowl. Evenly sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over the top of the batter.

Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean. Let the bars cool completely (about an hour). They will deflate a bit and remain a bit pie-like on the top layer. The bars that are closer to the edges of the pan will be more firm.

After the bars are completely cool, place the chopped white chocolate into a bowl or zip-lock bag and melt on low power, 15 seconds at a time. When it’s completely melted, add the pumpkin pie spice and mix (or knead if using a zip lock bag). Use a spoon or cut a small corner off the bag and drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the bars and let it cool and harden.

Use the parchment paper to lift the bars out of the pan. Place on a cutting board and cut into bars. Store in a covered container.

One Year Ago: Asparagus Soup with Bacon

55 Responses to “Pumpkin Pie Snickerdoodle Bar”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 10, 2011 @ 4:05 am

yep, my willpower has no chance!

Winnie — October 10, 2011 @ 4:06 am

Wow these look over the top amazing! I have yet to get baking with pumpkin this year but these are calling. Loudly.

Heather Davis — October 10, 2011 @ 5:32 am

Seriously yummy! What a great choice.

Megan's Cookin' — October 10, 2011 @ 6:06 am

I have to say, you picked one of my favorites! We love Pumpkin Pie Snickerdoodle Bars. I think I would rather have one of these rather then my usual favorite pumpkin pie.
    .And thanks for the sweet write up, you made my day! :)

chinmayie @ love food eat — October 10, 2011 @ 6:31 am

Yummy! Looks delicious :)

Tina@flourtrader — October 10, 2011 @ 7:09 am

Nothing about these layers I do not like-yum! I never saw the original post, so I am glad you pulled this one out for SRC. Your picture really does entice. Great post.

Lisa~~ — October 10, 2011 @ 7:24 am

The bars look wonderful and yes they are a great alternative to pumpkin pie.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — October 10, 2011 @ 8:03 am

Megan’s one of my favorite bloggers and I’ve been meaning to make these bars. Great choice for SRC. Definintely Delish!

Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy — October 10, 2011 @ 8:24 am

Yum! These sound fabulous; I love pumpkin in everything.

Tes — October 10, 2011 @ 8:40 am

Wow your pumpkin pie bar looks so amazing! My whole family will love this :)

Si — October 10, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Love the idea of snickerdoodle and pumpkin together. I haven’t seen this combo yet! Yum.

Tessa — October 10, 2011 @ 10:35 am

Love how these are just a little bit different than all the other pumpkin recipes. I could see these being a big hit as a pie alternative at Thanksgiving. Yum!

Maggie — October 10, 2011 @ 11:01 am

This looks delicious! Any suggestions on how to adapt this recipe for fresh pumpkin? They have totally been taking over my kitchen!

• Delishhh replied: — October 11th, 2011 @ 8:56 am

Maggie,

If you are using raw pumpkin and not puree pumpkin from a can you have to cook it.

There are three ways to prepare fresh pumpkin to be used in recipes:
      1. Baked Fresh Pumpkin – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cut the pumpkin in half and clean out the seeds and stringy stuff. Cover a baking sheet with tin foil. Brush a little melted butter on the cut edges of the pumpkin. Place the sides cut side down on the cookie sheet. Cook for around an hour or until the pumpkin is soft. Cool. Remove the pumpkin skin. Cut into pieces and blend or put through a food processor until the mixture is smooth like canned pumpkin.

2. Boiled Fresh Pumpkin – Remove the seeds and strings. Peel and cut the pumpkin into chunks. Put pumpkin chunks in a large pan. Cover with water. Bring to a light boil. Cook until tender. Cool. As with the baked method, blend or food process the pumpkin until smooth.

3. Microwaved Fresh Pumpkin – Clean seeds and strings out of pumpkin. Cube with rind on. Place chunks in a microwave safe bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Cook on medium until soft. Check every 5 minutes as microwave times vary. Once chunks are cool, peel off the rind. Blend or food process until smooth just as in the other methods.

If the pumpkin puree looks runny, there are two ways to thicken it up.

How To Thicken Up Fresh Pumpkin Puree
      1. Put the pumpkin puree in a saucepan and cook over medium heat. Cook until it reaches the consistency desired. This just takes some of the water out of the fresh pumpkin.

2. Line a strainer with cheesecloth or coffee filters. Place the strainer in a big bowl. Pour the fresh pumpkin in the strainer. Leave this in the refrigerator over night. The excess liquid will drain off and can be rinsed away the next morning leaving you with thicker pumpkin.

I hope this helps!

• OfBaking replied: — October 11th, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

I couldn’t have asked for a more helpful or thorough response. Thanks so much!

Erin @ Making Memories — October 10, 2011 @ 11:28 am

This looks absolutely amazing! Pinned it =o)

Julia — October 10, 2011 @ 11:30 am

Oh My Gooooooosh! Heaven, pure heaven!

sara — October 10, 2011 @ 11:55 am

These look amazing! :) Love the idea of combining snickerdoodles and pumpkin, yum! :)

Julie at Burnt Carrots — October 10, 2011 @ 11:58 am

Thank you for giving me inspiration to get through the day! I’m salivating just looking at these pictures and will be making this tonight!

Ruchi — October 10, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

look sooo yummy!

Katherine Martinelli — October 10, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

Such a great recipe! Pumpkin pie meets snickerdoodle? Amazing.

Amanda — October 10, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

Oh Ewa, these look amazing!! YUM!

Lisa — October 10, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Snickerdoodles, pumpkin pie and chocolate. I’m in love – they look amazing!

Splendid Willow — October 10, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

I take your word for it!

That first image is magazine worthy.

Hugs to you,

Mon

kristin — October 10, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

Oh my goodness, you have me very hungry :)
    Thanks for your visit! Love your food blog, so many great ideas and recipes!!
    XO
    Kristin

patsy — October 10, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

Fabulous fall dessert! I love how pretty they are, too!

Trisha — October 10, 2011 @ 9:43 pm

Oh my! These look good. I love the natural fall colors in it!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — October 11, 2011 @ 1:47 am

Those layers look absolutely fabulous and way too tempting!

carolinaheartstrings — October 11, 2011 @ 11:07 am

Man does this look fantastic. Delicious with such great pictures. We are celebrating our first anniversary today and our first give away. We would love for you to be a winner. Come visit.

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — October 11, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

That looks delicious!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella — October 11, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

Yum! This looks so thick and lusciously good! :)

Melt in your Mouth Pumpkin Cake — October 11, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

[...] more pumpkin in and around the web: Pumpkin Pie Snickerdoodle Bars – Delishhh Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes – Ryan Bakes Pumpkin Brownie Truffle Cheesecake [...]

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen — October 12, 2011 @ 12:19 am

I’m loving the pumpkin recipes on your blog but this is exceptionally good!!

DessertForTwo — October 12, 2011 @ 6:34 am

Original! Love this!

Juliana — October 12, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

Wow, these bars look delicious, love all the layers :-)
    Hope you are having a great week!

Deeba Rajpal (@vindee) — October 12, 2011 @ 10:52 pm

Just amazing. Great pick from Megans blog. I love all the delcious layers and how beautiful they look! WOW!!

Nami | Just One Cookbook — October 13, 2011 @ 12:48 am

Oh my, they look so delicious. This is a best way to enjoy pumpkin season. Great thanksgiving treat too!

Samantha — October 13, 2011 @ 10:15 am

OH! these look amazing! Secret Recipe Club looks SO FUN!

Shelby — October 13, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

Oh how yummy are these!

Liz — October 13, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

What a great find on Megan’s blog! Perfect for this month’s SRC. These look scrumptious…especially with that white chocolate drizzle on top :)

Hotly Spiced — October 13, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

That looks incredible – a dessert that covers all your desires in one. There should be more of it.

The Cilantropist — October 13, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

Oh my word this looks decadent!!! I also love that you made your own pumpkin pie spice! :)

Sanjeeta kk — October 14, 2011 @ 1:27 am

Love the gorgeous pumpkin pies and the frosting is adding extra yum to the same!

Jay — October 14, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

wow…sounds scrumptiously tasty…gorgeous cliks..
    first time here…love your space..
    excellent posts with really nice presentation..
    Am your happy follower now..;)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

marla — October 14, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

Fun recipe choice for the SRC. Anything pumpkin is a friend of mine :)

Judy — October 14, 2011 @ 7:46 pm

Oh, my, this is such an amazing pumpkin recipe. Can’t wait to try it.

Escorts in Mumbai — October 14, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

It’s so nice post. This is Essential information useful. It’s have very most impressive information and Everyone has different skills and in passions . I really enjoyed this blog you should continue do like this blog.

Kate@Diethood — October 15, 2011 @ 10:39 am

Oh my goodness…. these would be so good right now! They sound crazy-delicious!

Jey @ The Jey of Cooking — October 16, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Holy yum, I think I’ll be making these soon!

Renee @kudoskitchen — October 17, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

These look soooo yummy! I can’t believe all those layer of flavor! Amazing!!!

Desi — October 18, 2011 @ 7:18 am

Great pick for fall! Your pics are lovely. So nice to be cooking along with you in SRC :)

Pumpkin Craze « soundZtastee — October 20, 2011 @ 5:48 am

[...] Pumpkin Pie Brownie Cupcakes [...]

Willa@ArmstrongFamilyFare — December 28, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

I don’t know how I’m just now finding these…they look amazing!! I just pinned them so I’d have them for next fall! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Lucia Cole — February 21, 2012 @ 12:31 am

Cook on medium until soft. Yum!

Pumpkin Energy Bar — October 8, 2012 @ 8:23 am

[...] Year Ago: Pumpkin Pie Snickerdoodle Bar Two Years Ago: Asparagus Soup with [...]