Sunday, May 13, 2012

Orange and Cranberry Biscotti

Today was my first Mother’s Day – very unreal to get to celebrate this day with my new family.  Ella is now 11 weeks old and just awesome.  I am so blessed that she sleeps through the night and she has an awesome mellow personality.

On top of that it was 80+ in Seattle today and just a gorgeous day and I was just so excited to dress Ella in shorts and T-shirt.  I hope everyone had a fabulous Mother’s Day as well.

This biscotti recipe i got from Heather’s Dish who also celebreated her first Mother’s Day today, she has an adorable son called Weston, who is just 3 weeks younger than Ella.  I found this recipe awhile ago and have been wanting to make it for weeks.

Biscotti to me feels like you are eating a fancy dessert but a little healthier. At least that is how I think about it.

I love the combination or cranberry and orange and some nuts. To me that is the perfect combination. This biscotti is fruity, nutty and not sweet at all. Dunk in your tea and coffee and enjoy.

Orange and Cranberry Biscotti

Yield: 12 pieces

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 60 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Ingredients:

1/4 cup sugar
3 egg whites
Orange Zest from two large oranges (about 3 tbsp)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup crushed walnuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 300F.

In a bowl mix together the egg whites and sugar until they start to dissolve, around 4 minutes. Then mix in the orange zest until it’s broken up and combined.

Add in the flour, cornmeal, and baking powder. Mix until combined. Finally add the walnuts and cranberries.

Turn dough out onto a sheet pan lined with parchment or a Silpat, and using your hands mold it into a log about 3x12”. Bake at 300F for 30 minutes until the top is just starting to brown. Let the log cool for about 5 minutes, then gently remove it to a cutting board.

Using a serrated knife cut it into 1-inch slices width-wise and place them cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake for another 20-30 minutes, or until the cut sides are golden brown. Let cool completely before eating and storing in an airtight container.

Adapted from: Heather’s Dish

One Year Ago: Rum Balls
Two Years Ago: Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie

12 Responses to “Orange and Cranberry Biscotti”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 13, 2012 @ 8:48 pm

i’m so glad you had a great mother’s day and like the biscotti recipe! we had to do the shorts and T-shirt thing today too!

Katarina — May 13, 2012 @ 10:54 pm

This recipe sounds great and they are really beautiful!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — May 14, 2012 @ 6:28 am

Happy first mother’s day! :) Orange and cranberry are one of my favorite combinations. They go so well together.

carolinaheartstrings — May 14, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

This looks terrific. I cannot wait to try this out. Come visit us. We have some terrific recipes this week.

Shut Up & Cook — May 14, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

Isn’t this Seattle weather just the best?!? It prompted us to do a Dungeness Crab boil on Saturday, and fish tacos and mojitos last night. The best. These look very yum!

Being a Seattle-ite are you attending the BlogHer Food Conference here in June?!? I’ll be going for the first time and am really looking forward to it.

Nami | Just One Cookbook — May 14, 2012 @ 10:51 pm

Happy Belated 1st Mother’s Day Ewa! Ella is 3 months old already. Aww you must be enjoying every moment with her. I miss those days… It’s wonderful that she’s sleeping through the night. You must be doing very good job taking care of her. This must be a very nice treat in the morning…wait you may not be taking regular coffee, but I’d like this with my morning coffee. :-) Looks yummy!

Lana Jones — May 15, 2012 @ 3:31 pm

Happy belated Mother’s Day! I think I will try your Biscotti tomorrow night while I am entertaining here at home – it looks so delicious (and easy enough to make) that it should be a hit. Thanks!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — May 17, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

Happy Belated Mother’s Day to you, and many more to come!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — May 18, 2012 @ 8:00 am

What a fantastic little treat!

Trader Joes Recipes — May 19, 2012 @ 9:45 am

This looks really scrumptious!

Anna @ the shady pine — May 20, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

Orange and cranberry are such a lovely combination and just perfect for biscotti!

Magic of Spice — June 4, 2012 @ 9:49 am

Happy Belated Mothers Day! This combination is just lovely, they look delicious!