Monday, October 8, 2012

Pumpkin Energy Bar

Today I am sharing with you an energy bar I created from an energy bar formula. We all have tasted energy bars bought in the store, some are pretty gross and some are very good. I think one of my favorites are lärabars. And I have to say these Pumpkin Energy Bars that I created are pretty similar in consistency to lärabars. I didn’t realize how easy it is to make energy bars at home, and it is so much cheaper too.

The great part is that there is a formula for energy bars. So you can really make any flavor you want. But first I want to share my Pumpkin Energy Bar and then you can create your own. I adapted a few things in the formula. I wanted my bars to have a little more pumpkin flavor so I doubled the pumpkin puree, added a little more pumpkin spice and also agave nectar.  They turned out great.

This recipe is part of the monthly Secret Recipe Club “assignment!” Every month you get a name of a blog and you need to choose ANY recipe from that blog and then blog about that recipe by a date. It’s a secret because the blog owner does not know you are doing this until the reveal date. My secret blog this month was Veggie Grettie, which is written by Gretchen.  Gretchen has a fascinating blog, she is a Certified Nutrition Specialist and believes that food is the ultimate medicine.  I am totally with her on that.  All of her research has led the conclusion that a plant based diet is optimal for health. As a young age she experienced health problems and with her diet she has healed herself.  She has some great articles and great recipes on her site.

I do eat healthy, 99% organic, lots of veggies and  fruit, limited sugar, but vegetarian is hard for me.  I wish i could do a full raw diet or full plant diet.  I just love chicken and fish too much to go down that road.

Now to go Veggie Grettie and get some inspiration.

Pumpkin Energy Bar

Yield: 12 bars

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 18 minutes

Total Time: 28 minutes

Ingredients:

1 ½ cup (15 oz) cooked cannellini beans
1 cup pureed pumpkin
½ cup Agave nectar
¼ cup Chopped dates (remove the pits!)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp pumpkin spice
¼ salt
1 ½ cup of oats
½ cup coconut flour
½ cup quinoa flour
1 cup raisins

Directions:

In a food processor, combine beans, pumpkin, agave nectar, chopped dates, vanilla, pumpkin spice and salt until smooth. Add the oats, coconut flour and quinoa flour and pulse just to combine. Add the raisings and pulse again just to combine.

Grease 13×9 pan with baking spray or rub with 1 tablespoon oil, then spread mixture into pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

Adapted from:  Veggie Grettie

The Ultimate Energy Bar Formula

Adapted from:  Veggie Grettie

Yields: 12 bars | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Bake Time: 18 minutes

1 ½ cup cooked beans
½ cup binder
¼ cup sweetener
¼ cup soft sweet fruit
1 tsp of extract (optional)
1 tsp of dry spice (optional)
¼ tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups of oats
1 cup dry base ingredient
1 cup stir-ins

In a food processor, combine beans, binder, sweetener, soft fruit, extract, spice, and salt until smooth.  Add the oats and dry base ingredients and pulse just to combine.  Add stir-ins and pulse again just to combine.  If the consistency seems spreadable, you’re good.

If it’s too dry, add 1/4 cup of water; if it’s too runny, add an additional 1/4 cup of the dry base ingredient.

Note: You’ll have the most success if you use unsalted, unsweetened versions of the ingredients, and control the sweetness and saltiness through the sweetener and added salt.

Recommended beans:
White beans
Black beans
Pinto beans
Chickpeas
Adzuki beans

Recommended binders:
Almond butter
Peanut butter
¼ cup of ground flax seed mixed with ¼ cup water
Pureed pumpkin
Mashed avocado

Recommended sweeteners:
Maple syrup
Brown rice syrup
Agave nectar
Honey (if you’re not vegan)

Recommended soft, sweet fruit:
Applesauce
Mashed banana (about half of one)
Chopped dates (remove the pits!)
Crushed pineapple

Recommended optional extracts:
Vanilla
Almond
Lemon
Coconut
Coffee

Recommended dry spices:
Cinnamon
Ginger
Nutmeg
Cardamom
Instant coffee
*For stronger spices like nutmeg and cardamom, use just a ¼-½ tsp and combine with less intense spices like cinnamon.

Recommended dry base ingredient (a combination is usually best):
Protein powder

Cacao nibs
Dry cereal
Crushed pretzels
Chocolate chips

One Year Ago: Pumpkin Pie Snickerdoodle Bar
Two Years Ago: Asparagus Soup with Bacon

24 Responses to “Pumpkin Energy Bar”

Lisa~~ — October 8, 2012 @ 8:56 am

Love pumpkin and love the idea of using it in an energy bar, sounds wonderful.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my SRC entry Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings.

Lisa~~

sara — October 8, 2012 @ 11:03 am

Love this! I’m a huge fan of any recipe that lets you pick and choose and use up what you have in the cupboard! :)

Gretchen (Veggie Grettie) — October 8, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

Oh I am going to HAVE to try your version of these since I LOVE pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.

You did a great job with this post!

Isabelle @ Crumb — October 8, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

Wow, these sound amazing… I love how you turned Gretchen’s base formula into a perfect-for-fall combination. I have to admit, I totally did a double-take when I saw the beans in the ingredient list, though! :)

• Delishhh replied: — October 10th, 2012 @ 10:06 pm

Isabelle – i know i thought that using beans was strange too but you can’t taste it at all.

Tessa — October 8, 2012 @ 6:04 pm

Wow! I’m impressed by the variations in there. Energy bars for everything! Great idea for a SRC post, and I love this use of pumpkin.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 8, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

the beans threw me off, but they sound amazing!

• Delishhh replied: — October 10th, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Heather – i know i thought that using beans was strange too but you can’t taste it at all. It’s so much better than other energy bars!

Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies — October 8, 2012 @ 10:55 pm

What a great healthy treat.

Katerina — October 9, 2012 @ 9:12 am

Perfect bars especially now that human body needs more energy to cope with the change of season!

carolinaheartstrings — October 9, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

These bars look delicious and they are the perfect flavor. Come and visit us. We have a terrific giveaway this week. We know you will love it.

Trisha — October 9, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

Homemade is always so much better. U know exactly whats going in. The bars look fantastic and I love that they’re so versatile. Can’t wait to try them.

Margaret — October 9, 2012 @ 7:27 pm

Great looking bars. Bet they are tasty.

Shut Up & Cook — October 9, 2012 @ 7:50 pm

Beans in an energy bar…I’m fascinated.

That said, I like white beans in everything else,s so why not?!

• Delishhh replied: — October 10th, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Yeah – i know i thought that using beans was strange too but you can’t taste it at all!

Kristina — October 10, 2012 @ 9:03 am

we LOVE homemade energy bars around here, I am excited to use this template, thanks for sharing!

CJ — October 10, 2012 @ 11:58 am

It looks delicious!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking — October 10, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

I love making my own energy bars but have never used beans to make them. I’m so intrigued.
    Thanks for sharing Ewa

Lisa — October 13, 2012 @ 12:50 am

One thing I’ve always wanted to do is come up with a super healthy and delicious energy bar. I have yet to do so, so until then..I’ll just make super, healthy energy bars that others come up with! Beans? Who woulda thunk? I love all the options! They look amazing..great choice!!

• Delishhh replied: — October 13th, 2012 @ 7:49 am

Lisa – I agree, the great thing about this is you can make it the way you want it. And you do NOT taste the bean. I was a little worried at first too.

Lucy — November 25, 2012 @ 10:49 am

I love this recipe!! Anything with beans makes my body happy.

Strawberry Quinoa Muffins {Secret Recipe Club} - Authentic Simplicity — April 9, 2013 @ 7:02 pm

[...] had her Pumpkin Energy Bar pinned for ages, and still fully intend to make it, but I never seem to have all the ingredients at [...]

Vegan Pumpkin Energy Bar Yum!! — December 20, 2013 @ 2:25 pm

[...] I have a LOVE of pumpkin and wanted to make some muffins…. but they didn’t exactly fit in with my meal plan for the week. So I decided to make a modification of the Pumpkin Energy Bars from Veggie Gretchen posted on the delishhh.com website. [...]

hermitage tennessee locksmith company — April 12, 2014 @ 7:49 am

I go to see each day a few websites and blogs to read articles
    or reviews, but this weblog offers feature based posts.