Sunday, July 7, 2013

Greek Hummus

Greek Hummus

I hope everyone had a good 4th of July weekend.  I love this time of the year, the warm weather, and lots of eating outside.  Summer is my favorite time of the year.   We use the grill almost 99% of the time during the summer, and one of my favorite summer dishes are kebabs.  They are simple and quick and delicious.  I love to have chicken kebabs, with pita and some home made hummus.   am a huge hummus fan.  I use it as a spreadable on my sandwiches instead of butter.  I also eat it just as a dip with crackers or vegetables.  But my favorite way is chicken and pita.  Hummus is so easy to make at home instead of store brought that is using pesticides or other none healthy ingredients.  It takes less than 10 minutes to put together.

I am also naming this recipe Greek Hummus because i know there is a lot of controversy of the different hummus recipes out there and where it came from.  But this is the Greek version of it.

This recipe is part of the monthly Secret Recipe Club “assignment!” Every month you get a name of a blog and you need to choose ANY recipe from that blog and then blog about that recipe by a date. It’s a secret because the blog owner does not know you are doing this until the reveal date.

My secret blog this month was My Hobbie Lobbie, which is written by Trisha.  Trisha is from India and she has a few terrific blogs.  Not only does she have a great food blog but also a craft blog. Trisha has some fabulous recipes on her site, definitely some great dinner ideas for the future.

Greek Hummus

Greek Hummus

Yield: 6-8 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

16 oz chickpeas (drained, reserve liquid)
2 tbsp reserved chickpea liquid (or more depending on consistency desired)
5 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground cumin (or to taste)
1/8 tsp ground coriander (or to taste)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Directions:

In food processor add chickpeas, reserved liquid from chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt, paprika, cumin and coriander. Process until all combined and well blended. Continue processing and add Extra virgin olive oil slowly. Continue blending until desired consistency. Add additional liquid if a runnier consistency is desire. Shorter time for coarse texture and longer for creamier texture.
Make ahead and let flavors meld together for several hours prior to serving. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish to your liking.

Adapted from: My Hobbie Lobbie

One Year Ago: Bean and Feta Salad
Two Years Ago: Strawberry and Rhubarb Crips
Three Years Ago: Peanut Butter and Chocolate Bars

18 Responses to “Greek Hummus”

Camilla @ Culinary Adventures — July 7, 2013 @ 8:15 pm

I LOVE hummus. So easy, so versatile. Thanks for sharing with the SRC.

Anna — July 7, 2013 @ 8:17 pm

I love hummus! I only recently discovered it and started making it. So good!

Sweet as Sugar Cookies — July 7, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

I am so crazy about hummus. One of these days, I’m going to have to be like you and make my own.

Leigh — July 7, 2013 @ 9:58 pm

Yes please. I’d love some right now!

melissa@IWasBornToCook — July 8, 2013 @ 3:54 am

Love hummus – been making my own forever – so much better than storebought!

Deeba Rajpal (@vindee) — July 8, 2013 @ 4:19 am

How delicious that looks. Beautifully shot too Eva!

AmandaE — July 8, 2013 @ 4:35 am

Love hummus – just started making my own and we are addicted! Perfect SRC pick :-)

Nicole @ Daily Dish Recipes — July 8, 2013 @ 6:36 am

Oooh! This recipe looks fabulous and I am just getting into making it at home! Great pick this month!

Lesa @ Edesia's Notebook — July 8, 2013 @ 8:02 am

I love all kinds of bean dips, but hummus is probably my favorite. This version looks super yummy. If I had the ingredients, I would totally make this for lunch!

sara — July 8, 2013 @ 8:51 am

Mmmm, hummus…I may just have a hummus addiction, it’s so good! Yours looks fantastic :)

Kate | Food Babbles — July 8, 2013 @ 2:14 pm

I love hummus!! You know, I’ve never made it from scratch. I always buy it but it sounds so easy. I’ll have to give this a try!

Isabelle @ Crumb — July 9, 2013 @ 6:47 am

I’m totally obsessed with hummus – it’s one of my go-to meal ideas when it’s too freakin’ hot to turn on the stove, since I can grill up some veggies and pita on the barbecue and call it dinner. :) And this version sounds nice and simple, which is always a plus!

Jenna — July 10, 2013 @ 2:17 am

I’ve only made hummus once and it didn’t go over too well with my husband. I love it though, so I’ll have to save this recipe for a time when he’s out of town. Great pictures!

Kirstin — July 10, 2013 @ 7:44 pm

YUM. I love hummus but haven’t made it from scratch yet. I’ll have to mark this to try.

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — July 11, 2013 @ 7:56 pm

I love Greek food, so I’m sure I love this hummus version.

Trisha — July 23, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

Thank you for your kind words Ewa, I love making things from scratch and trying out new things. This recipe is one I really enjoy!

• Delishhh replied: — July 24th, 2013 @ 1:13 pm

Trisha – Thank you for stopping by! I will visit you again!

chinese Hamburger — August 28, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

that looks great, and so Yummy, hummus will be my favorate food!