Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Baked French Toast

About two weeks ago I hosted a baby shower for a good friend of mine.  Every time I have a large group of people for brunch I make at least these two things 1. Strata and 2. Baked French Toast.  The Strata recipe I will share at a later time.  But I do these things because you can prepare these things the night before, and the day off all you have to do it stick them in the oven in the same temperature and it works out great.  Who wants to wake up at 6am on a weekend to start cooking breakfast for 20 people?  The Baked French Toast is always a hit, everyone always wants something sweet during a brunch party.

The funny thing is that I had no idea what French toast was before I moved to the US  (long time ago) and on top of that I hated sweet things for breakfast, sweet things were for dessert.  But I changed pretty quickly, especially after my sister-in-law served this french toast one day for brunch.  I have had many different kinds of French Toast and this is my favorite way of doing the French Toast and everyone loves it.  Trust me, this is first thing that always goes during brunch.

Baked French Toast

Serves 8-10 | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Bake Time: 45 minutes

1 stick of butter
¾ cups of brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 loaf of cinnamon raisin bread
4 eggs beaten
1 ½ cup of half and half

In a pan slowly melt the butter and add the brown sugar to it and then the cinnamon.  Once all melted take the pan off the heat and add the half and half and then add the beaten eggs slowly.  You do not want to have the egg curd if the liquid is too hot.  Make sure you add the eggs slowly and stir the whole time.

Take a 9×13 inch pan.  I use a glass pan and line the pan with sliced cinnamon raisin bread.  Make this in two layers so it is ticker than just one slice.  If your bread is not pre-cut cut the bread in 1 inch slices instead.  Then take the whole mixture and pour it evenly over the bread.  Cover the pan and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.

Then bake in a pre-heated 350F degree oven for 35-45 minutes.  Then remove the cover off the last 15 minutes to get a crispy top.  Serve warm with maple syrup, whipped cream or fresh fruit.

30 Responses to “Baked French Toast”

stephen — March 13, 2010 @ 3:00 am

This looks like a really great recipe! I recently had the baked french toast at Geraldines Counter in columbia city (rainer valley) and it was heavenly. Most of their other choices are pretty amazing as well, but I’ll definetly have to try have to try my hand at this one for myself!

• Delishhh replied: — March 13th, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Stephen, I have never been to Gerldines Counter in Columbia i will have to try it out and let you know. But please do try out this recipe, it is my favorite Baked French Toast Recipe. Then let me know what you think.

Tiffany @ Savor Home — May 18, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

My dad is coming to visit me this weekend. This will be our Sunday morning breakfast…

• Delishhh replied: — May 18th, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Want to hear how it goes :)

Cinnamon Raisin Bread — Delishhh — May 18, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

[...] Comments Tiffany @ Savor Home on Baked French Toastsandie on Ricotta Pound CakeGeorgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Ricotta Pound CakeMaris (In Good [...]

foodwanderings — May 18, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

Love this baked french toast version. Oh brown sugar is giving is a nice caramelization!

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies — May 18, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

I *adore* baked french toast, and that is one gorgeous photo. It’s actually one of my favorite things to make for “brinner”. My British husband had never had “french” toast before either, but he thinks it’s pretty awesome.

Cookin' Canuck — May 18, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

French toast is one of our favorite breakfasts, though I am always planning for it at the last minute. I really need to try your recipe and give myself a really easy weekend morning.

Nami @ Just One Cookbook — May 18, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

Sounds like I have to cook this one first. I don’t think I can wait to make the homemade cinnamon raisin bread (because I am not a baker…). Thank you for the recipe!

Renee @kudoskitchen — May 19, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

This looks like a real winner! Thanks for posting it!

stephanie — May 19, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

You had me at Cinnamon Raison. :)

Pam — May 20, 2011 @ 7:12 am

mmm I just discovered baked french toast through Smitten Kitchen and her Creme Brulee french toast. I don’t think I want french toast any other way now :)

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — May 20, 2011 @ 11:41 am

This really looks delicious! We enjoy French toast here and I make it often. The cinnamon raisin bread would really be a fantastic twist on the classic.

Strata — Delishhh — May 31, 2011 @ 6:36 am

[...] but to me it is all about good planning. Another great brunch dish you can make the night before is Baked French Toast. [...]

dan — June 7, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

looks delicious. I’ve seen this done with a chocolate babka as well. yum.

Megan — June 16, 2011 @ 9:29 am

Great dish!!! I love those prepare the night before dishes. :)

Teryn — September 17, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

After the dish has sat all night, should there still be liquid in the bottom of the dish?

• Delishhh replied: — September 17th, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Not too much since the bread should have sucked most of it, but some is totally ok and once you bake it the bread will make most of it disappear. If you are worried that it is too much you can always turn the bread around again in the dish.

• Teryn replied: — September 17th, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

Thanks for your fast response. I actually made this dish for dinner. It only refrigerated through the day so I’m sure if it had been refrigerated over night all of the liquid would be gone. I decided to remove the bread from the original pan and baked for the remaining time. The dish turned out great.

Best Recipes in 2011 — Delishhh — January 3, 2012 @ 9:17 am

[...] 2. Baked French Toast [...]

Jessie — May 8, 2012 @ 5:26 am

I too am not keen on overly sweet breakfasts. Although this does sound great and would be a great lunch!

Seattle Top 10 Brunch Places — September 1, 2012 @ 8:51 am

[...] Baked French Toast [...]

Hazel — September 24, 2012 @ 1:50 am

I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one these days.

Best Recipes in 2012 — February 12, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

[...] 6. Baked French Toast [...]

raw chocolate — May 27, 2014 @ 10:08 am

Hello! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured
    I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa?
    My website discusses a lot of the same subjects as
    yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you are interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from
    you! Awesome blog by the way!

Www.Youtube.com — June 4, 2014 @ 9:02 pm

And always make sure it’s 100% organic (some companies
    load their superfood up with Niacin and other non-organic components — go for the
    organic green superfood and avoid the Niacin hangover). If you choose diet
    shakes, be careful to choose those containing more fiber
    with less sugar. Not much research has been done to prove that this
    is the case though.

oregon mortgage rate — July 11, 2014 @ 11:28 pm

you’re truly a just right webmaster. The web site loading velocity is
    incredible. It kind of feels that you’re doing any unique trick.
    In addition, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a excellent process on this subject!

www.icheee.com — July 17, 2014 @ 8:25 am

Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iPad and tested to
    see if it can survive a twenty five foot drop, just so she can be
    a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she
    has 83 views. I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with
    someone!

free vector ornaments — August 11, 2014 @ 9:34 pm

Its not my first time to pay a quick visit this webb page, i am brosing
    this website dailly annd get gookd information from here all the time.

baram zena za brak — August 21, 2014 @ 4:51 pm

Hi, I read your blog like evvery week. Your writing style is awesome, keep up the good work!