Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chocolate Banana Bread

I don’t know why but every time i buy bananas i always end up with a few really ripe once that i never eat.  I always make banana bread, but needed to try something different this time.  So i did a chocolate banana bread.  OK do not laugh, i tried to find something more imaginary but nothing came to mind that i wanted to make.  So if you have some good banana ideas please let me know.

The base recipe i have is great, and you can really play around with it.   Sometimes I add dates, walnuts or other fruit to this recipe and it still comes out great. The banana bread is always better the day after, at least i think so.

Chocolate Banana Bread

Makes 1 loaf

Batter
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 very ripe bananas, mashed (or 1 3/4 c, the bananas have to be so ripe that they’re nearly black!)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter and sugar; mash bananas, beat egg and add to the bananas with vanilla and buttermilk; mix well and add to creamed butter and sugar; sift together flour, soda, baking powder and salt; add to banana mixture, beat well. Then add the raisins, pecans and chocolate.  Mix and pour into 1 greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; bake 45 to 50 minutes or until bread pulls away from sides of pan.

Let cool and enjoy!  Always better the next day!

Other Similar Recipes:

Banana Bread
Swedish Cinnamon Buns
Brioche Cinnabun
Stollen Wreath

15 Responses to “Chocolate Banana Bread”

Tweets that mention Chocolate Banana Bread — Delishhh -- Topsy.com — January 9, 2011 @ 10:27 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kris P. Kris P said: RT @DelishhhBlog: Chocolate Banana Bread http://goo.gl/fb/hSQJ3 […]

carolinaheartstring — January 10, 2011 @ 9:25 am

I love chocolate banana bread. Waffles with bananas and chocolate chips in the batter are a great way to use up the bananas.

Amy W. — January 10, 2011 @ 9:48 am

So, so so GOOD!

Privet and Holly — January 10, 2011 @ 10:58 am

This looks wonderful
    with the combination
    of nuts, raisins AND
    chocolate in additon
    to the bananas. Did
    you use golden raisins?
    I’m going to hide two
    bananas from our next
    bunch to ripen to perfection
    for this recipe….Thanks!
    xx Suzanne

IslandEAT — January 10, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Hi, Ewa. I always make the same banana bread from Tomato in Vancouver (which I should post one of these days…) – very similar to your recipe. It has no nuts or chocolate chips, but goes well with cream cheese and is wonderful toasted.

BTW, I noticed your limpa bread, which I’ve always enjoyed from bakeries and in restaurants. Once I get rye flour, I really need to try it.

Thanks,

Dan

Carol — January 10, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

I love Banana bread. I like to add choc chips, grated zuchinii or take the pulp left over from juicing and toss some of it in for added nutrition.
    ~ Carol

Splendid Willow — January 10, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

That is what I get at Tully’! Their chocolate chip banana bread! Now I know who else to stalk…

Happy Monday to you my friend.

Mon

Cajun Chef Ryan — January 11, 2011 @ 9:03 am

You asked for other ways of using banana.

1. We used to make a Coconut Banana Bread, with toasted coconut in the batter and on top as a crust layer.

2. Banana Smoothies.

3. Baked bananas. Split in half, on a baking sheet drizzle lemon juice, then cinnamon, and some sugar, put under broiler for 3-5 minutes.

4. Bananas Foster, check out my site for that one.

Bon appetit!
    CCR
    =:~)

Bon appetit!
    CCR
    =:~)

FROM THE RIGHT BANK — January 11, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

I never bake but we had all these bananas that were too ripe so I actually make banana bread the other day for the first time in YEARS. It was a huge hit so I think I need to do it more regularly. I’ll have to try this recipe next time. Thanks for the nice comment today – I really appreciate it!

Mom's Online Money Makers — January 12, 2011 @ 7:11 am

Thanks for posting this. Although, I don’t bake from scratch, this recipe inspired me to add some chocolate chips to a box mix banana bread which I had never done before. I made chocolate chip banana muffins and my kids actually ate them this time because of the chocolate chips.

Megan — January 12, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

I’ve been seeing some banana fosters around on the web that look pretty killer.
    Thanks for the idea of putting dates in my banana bread. That sounds so good.

Caroline — January 19, 2011 @ 8:47 am

I love when you can see the brown flecks of banana in banana bread. Throwing chocolate in is a personal favorite of mine, and this recipe looks divine! I’m going to bookmark this one to make with the frozen bananas piling up in my freezer!

Apple and Carrot Bran Muffins — Delishhh — March 23, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

[…] Quinoa Pecan Muffins Maple Spice Muffins Chocolate Banana Bread Rye Bread – Swedish […]

Persimmon Bread — Delishhh — January 10, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

[…] Year Ago: Chocolate Banana Bread // If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a Comment, Tweet, Stumble, Facebook […]

Maria — August 7, 2014 @ 4:59 pm

Hi there everyone, it’s my first pay a quick
    visit at this website, and post is actually fruitful for me, keep up posting these types of articles or reviews.