Monday, February 7, 2011

Greek Lamb Sliders “Biftekia” with Yogurt Sauce

If you like Greek food you will love these lamb sliders.  If you like garlic, mint, cilantro flavors you will love these.  Every time I just talk about these sliders I start to droll.

Imagine a warm patty, with mint, cilantro, garlic and yogurt sauce on top. This is one of my favorite “burgers” on top of the turkey burger.

These Greek sliders are great for appetizers or main course, and just perfect for entertaining – a fun, sophisticated alternative to your standard cookout fare.

You will need ground lamb for the recipe, your regular grocery store may not carry it but you can always find it at Whole Foods or your local butcher.

I found this recipe on Once Upon A Chef and adjusted a little to my own taste.  These sliders are incredible tender and juicy and that is due to the bread and milk paste that is mixed into the ground meat. You can’t taste it but it guarantees perfect burgers every time, especially if you like your meat a little more well-done or if you accidentally overcook them.

Greek Lamb Sliders “Biftekia” with Yogurt Sauce

Yields: 12 sliders enough for 4-6 people

Prep Time: 15 minutes | Bake Time: 5 minutes

Greek Lamb Sliders “Biftekia”

1 slice white bread, crust removed and cut into ¼” pieces
2 tbsp milk
¼ cup finely chopped shallots (1 shallot)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 tsp dried oregano
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ lbs ground lamb

Yogurt Sauce

½ cup of plain yogurt, preferable Greek style yogurt
1 tsp of dried dill
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp of olive oil
1tsp of lemon juice
Salt
White pepper

Be sure grill is clean and preheat to high.

Combine bread pieces and milk in a medium bowl. Mash with a fork until paste forms. Add shallots, garlic, mint, cilantro, oregano, salt, pepper and mix well. Add lamb, then use your hand to mix ingredients together until well combined. Do not over mix. Form mixture into 12 patties about ½-inch thick.

Place sliders on patties and put some yogurt sauce in between.

Grease grill. Grill patties, covered, for 2 minutes. Turn, cover again, and cook for about 2 minutes more.

Other Similar Recipe:

Rack of Lamb
Chicklen Wings
Turkey Burgers
Bulgogi – Korean BBQ

14 Responses to “Greek Lamb Sliders “Biftekia” with Yogurt Sauce”

Tweets that mention Greek Lamb Sliders “Biftekia” with Yogurt Sauce #bcbnetwork -- Topsy.com — February 7, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by MDT and Delishhh, bizchickblogs.com. bizchickblogs.com said: RT @Delishhh Greek Lamb Sliders “Biftekia” with Yogurt Sauce http://bit.ly/hWRq0H #bcbnetwork [...]

Megan — February 8, 2011 @ 6:46 am

What a great looking sandwich!

Splendid Willow — February 8, 2011 @ 6:47 am

Yum! I can’t see myself making them myself but I will be over in a heartbeat next time you make them. Or do you have any leftovers?

Warm hugs to you Mon.

P.S Sjukhuset imorgon. Jag boerjar att bli lite nervoes faktiskt…

carolinaheartstring — February 8, 2011 @ 11:38 am

I have never eaten lamb, but your recipe looks so good I want to try it!

Caroline — February 9, 2011 @ 6:12 am

I think this is a recipe the hubby and I would love! We always are experimenting with burger flavors and this is right up our alley! The photographs are making my mouth water. It’s not even 8:15 am and I’m now craving a burger!

Privet and Holly — February 9, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

We don’t eat lamb
    but I imagine it would
    still be good using turkey.
    What a wonderful
    combination of fresh
    flavors!!
    xx Suzanne

Eliana — February 10, 2011 @ 8:55 pm

These could not look more delicious. Wish I was munching on a couple of these right now.

IslandEAT — February 10, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

Hi, Ewa. I think these look easy and delectable – good for winter, inside, or summer, outside on a grill. It would be good full-sized or as a “slider” alike.

Thanks,

Dan

Marie — February 16, 2011 @ 8:55 am

Holy Moly! Those look awesome. YUM.

Darina — February 17, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

These look great. So unique and I bet the flavors are off the charts delicious. Great combo.

Spaghetti Bolognese — Delishhh — February 17, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

[...] Greek Lamb Sliders “Biftekia” with Yogurt Sauce [...]

sarahworldcook @ homestyleworldcook.blogspot.com — February 21, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

Ok— I am really drooling over these. This will definitely be put on the list of must-makes as soon as I pick up some lamb. Great job and thanks for the recipe.

Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food — March 23, 2011 @ 1:48 am

I love everything about these gorgeous, delicious looking sliders, Ewa. When I crank up my BBQ grill for the first time this season, these lamb burgers will definitely be on it!

Delishhh » Buttermilk Biscuits — February 10, 2012 @ 1:50 pm