Monday, February 6, 2012

Buttermilk Biscuits

Haven’t made biscuits in a years and I thought this would be the perfect recipe to double and freeze some for the baby arrival.  Love biscuits but I eat them like a sandwich with butter and deli on them – I am not a fan of the gravy on my biscuits, actually I really hate soggy bread. I changed this recipe from 340 F and to 450F and just made the cooking time shorter.  They turned out great.  I have actually already made a few batches.

It’s also time for another Secret Recipe Club “assignment!” Every month you get a name of a blog and you need to choose ANY recipe from that blog and then blog about that recipe by a date. It’s a secret because the blog owner does not know you are doing this until the reveal date. My secret blog this month was Mom’s Fridge which is written by Barb.

So I am almost 39 weeks pregnant can’t believe it and this is what I looked like at 13 weeks and here at 38 weeks – huge difference.  I am ready – the belly is heavy that is all I have to say. Otherwise i can’t complain my pregnancy has been really easy.

Buttermilk Biscuits

Yield: 10-12

Prep Time: 12 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour and some for dusting
2 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp salted butter, chilled and cubed
¾ cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 450 F.

Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in a food processor fitted with a medal blade. Add the cold butter and pulse a few times until the mixture resembles coarse pea or dime-size crumbs. Be careful not to overwork the mixture or the butter will soften too much.

Open the lid and add the buttermilk evenly over the flour. Pulsate a few times until combined, again do not over mix.

Turn the dough onto a floured surface and form it into a ball. Lightly knead the dough 2 or 3 times until combined.

Pat the dough into a 3/4 to 1-inch thick rectangle. Use a 2 to 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter to cut out several biscuits. Place them on a ungreased cookie sheet.

Gather the dough scraps, smooth them out (lightly knead if necessary), and pat the remaining dough into another 3/4 to 1-inch thick rectangle or circle. Cut out more biscuits, and then repeat again if necessary to use remaining dough.

Bake the biscuits for 10-12 minutes (rotating the pan front to back halfway through) or until the tops are light brown. Serve warm.

Adapted from: Mom’s Fridge

A Year Ago: Greek Lamb Sliders with Yogurt Sauce

37 Responses to “Buttermilk Biscuits”

Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies — February 6, 2012 @ 9:18 am

Those biscuits look fantastic! Good luck on your pregnancy.

Jodi @garlicgirl — February 6, 2012 @ 9:43 am

Oh my goodness! Your little tummy looks beautiful – how exciting!!! First I was interested in getting that biscuit recipe but totally distracted with your pregnant belly. Love that!

• Delishhh replied: — February 6th, 2012 @ 9:58 am

Jodi – Thank you for your sweet comment. Yeah it’s pretty much a waiting game now. I am ready though :)

Lisa~~ — February 6, 2012 @ 10:02 am

Happy to read that things are going well and easy for you, always a positive. Your biscuits look wonderful too.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

Deanna — February 6, 2012 @ 10:02 am

I love having biscuits in the freezer. And cookie dough. I keep lots of stuff in my freezer just in case.

sara — February 6, 2012 @ 10:57 am

Gorgeous biscuits! I so want to have that breakfast sandwich this morning…looks incredible! :)

Melissa@IWasBornToCook — February 6, 2012 @ 11:02 am

Glad you’ve had an easy pregnancy – you’re very lucky! Now sit back and enjoy another one of those delicious sandwiches, while you still have time to eat an uninterrupted breakfast :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 6, 2012 @ 11:29 am

I can’t believe you’re at 39 weeks! Are you ready? So excited!

• Delishhh replied: — February 6th, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

Heather – I am so ready – this belly is HEAVY and in the way. But most of all i am so curious i just want to meet her now. Here is a pic of my belly from last week at 38 weeks – http://www.flickr.com/photos/delishhh/6830448117/ But of course i am trying to be relaxed about labor and just want to go with the flow but it is such a unknown it kind of scares me.

Juliana — February 6, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

The biscuits look great, light and fluffy…I cannot believe that you still baking…good luck my dear!
    I look forward to meet the little one :)

• Delishhh replied: — February 8th, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

Juliana – Thanks, need something to keep me busy now that i am “waiting” around :)

cooking rookie — February 6, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

mmm… this looks good – I’m getting hungry. I’d better come back to this post on Wednesday, when my detox is over ;-)

Anna @ the shady pine — February 6, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

Oooh these look great…you really are a trooper to still be baking :)

Shelby — February 7, 2012 @ 3:51 am

Amazing how those little buggers can grow and stretch us out ;) You STILL look amazing though!

I’m a fan of buttermilk biscuits but I rarely make them myself. I prefer to let my mom make them, I’m spoiled. lol

• Delishhh replied: — February 8th, 2012 @ 7:28 pm

Shelby – I know, your body is pretty amazing. Thanks for the nice comments!

Monica @ The Yummy Life — February 7, 2012 @ 4:23 am

I love biscuits, but I’ve never tried freezing them. Great idea. These look yummy!

Paula — February 7, 2012 @ 5:14 am

Ooooh, delicious. I think these are called scones here in the UK. I love them for Sunday tea with butter and jam after a long walk.

• Delishhh replied: — February 8th, 2012 @ 7:28 pm

Paula – Being Swedish we call these scones too we use the UK terms :) . I love them with butter and jam too, do not like how they serve them here with gravy etc, the southern way. Thanks for stopping by.

Splendid Willow — February 7, 2012 @ 7:17 am

OH MY!!!! I am glad you are stocking up so that you will have something to serve when unexpected visitors (Moi!) pop over to see the baby!

Great picture!

ox, Mon

Rosa — February 7, 2012 @ 10:45 am

Mmmhhh, what a great combination! A perfect breakfast treat.

Cheers,

Rosa

Katherine Martinelli — February 7, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

YUM! I love buttermilk biscuits so much and these look so perfect, especially with that bacon and egg on there… So glad to hear your pregnancy is going well!! So exciting :-D

Angela — February 7, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

I cant wait to try this kind of biscuit..I am craving looking at the photo..I want to share this to my friend also..

Shumaila — February 7, 2012 @ 7:28 pm

Look at you growing! I love biscuits and love your photos!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 8, 2012 @ 12:32 am

Aw, how fun to see your pictures of your belly growing. You must be so excited!!

• Delishhh replied: — February 8th, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

Sylvie – So excited, curious and scared at the same time :)

Charline — February 8, 2012 @ 5:30 am

I am craving looking this picture I want to try this biscuits..Sounds good to eat..Thanks for sharing..

Laura Casey — February 8, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

Your buttermilk biscuits look delicious – great that they will freeze well too.
    Laura

Karylle — February 8, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

I love this kind of bicuit…Thanks for the recipe and idea here…

Jason Cook — February 9, 2012 @ 12:17 am

Oh my god………this is mouth watering. It seems like these buttermilk biscuits are inviting me to eat them.
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

-Jason

Margaret — February 9, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

Oh Dear!! with the egg and bacon on top. I would LOOK pregnant if I hate those. Cause I would have to eat ALL of them. YUMMY!!

Kim Bee — February 9, 2012 @ 2:37 pm

These look like perfection to me. Biscuits are something I find hard to make. No idea why. How exciting to be so close to delivery. You are so lucky it’s been easy, both mine were difficult pregnancies. For my son I got chicken pox while pregnant. My daughter I ended up on bed rest by month 5. I felt good, but my body was a mess.

Desi — February 10, 2012 @ 11:47 pm

That breakfast sandwich looks AMAZING!!! I am a savory breakfast fanatic… this is sooo up my alley. And totally do-able. Love it.

Buttermilk Biscuits: Delishhh | The Secret Recipe Club — February 12, 2012 @ 5:16 am

[...] Check out the recipe for Buttermilk Biscuits. [...]

Lisa — February 12, 2012 @ 10:36 am

Oh my goodness, these look extraordinary – perfect way to eat a biscuit! Congrats on your pregnancy! You’re all beautiful belly and skinny mini everywhere else!

Marcus — March 16, 2012 @ 8:49 am

Ilove biscuits, so thanks for the recipe

Best Recipes in 2012 — February 13, 2013 @ 9:39 pm

[...] 1. Buttermilk Biscuits [...]

Valerie Azahar — April 20, 2013 @ 7:50 pm

The introduction of the baking of processed cereals including the creation of flour provided a more reliable source of food. Egyptian sailors carried a flat, brittle loaf of millet bread called dhourra cake, while the Romans had a biscuit called buccellum.,

Look at our personal blog as well