Monday, May 9, 2011

Top 10 Restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Ft. Lauderdale Intercoastal

I was on vacation for two week and not only did I go on my first cruise (and last which I will write about) but I also spent one week in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.  My parents currently live in Ft. Lauderdale and I have been there a few times.  This time I decided to make my top 10 restaurant list for those that have not been there before.

Ft. Lauderdale has a lot to offer for everyone.  You have the beach with lots of bars and restaurants.  But then there is Las Olas Bouevard with cute little stores and great restaurants that you can sit outside and do some great people watching.  I also learned that just because a state is sourrounded by water it does not mean they know how to prepare fish.  I have no idea why but fish seems to be a hit or miss in Ft. Lauderdale.  At Yolo it was always prepared perfectly  but at other place you have to tell them not to over cook your fish or 50% of the time they will.  So if you are a fish person this is just a reminder to tell your waiter how you want your fish prepared.

Would love to hear where you like to eat in Ft. Lauderdale but here are my top 10 places to eat:

Yolo (You Only Live Once) – I ate here for lunch and dinner and it was always delicious.  You have the options of decadent or healthy food but all just perfectly prepared.  Their fish is not overdone and their salads are very tasty.  The California Spinach Salad is delicious served with Rotisserie Chicken, Green Apples, Cranberries,  Cashews, Bacon and Chopped Egg . The Prime Rib is out of this world.  Served with Garlic Toasted Ciabatta, Melted Swiss, Caramelized Onions and French Fries. And my favorite dessert is the Ice Cream sandwich with Espresso and Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream and covered in Nuts and served with a warm cinnamon sauce.  Do not miss this place.

Yolo
333 East Las Olas Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301-2259
(954) 523-1000
Yolo on Urbanspoon

The LeTub Saloon – This place is not in Ft. Lauderdale but in Hollywood, FL which is about 20 minutes outside of Ft. Lauderdale  but you still can’t miss this place. This place serves one of the best burgers in the US.  I am not kidding you.  This is not a fancy place but the burgers are amazing.  A formerly Gas Station but closed in the seventies, the owner personally hand built LeTub totally of Flotsam, Jetsam and ocean borne treasures all gathered daily over 4 years of day break jogging on Hollywood Beach.  Don’t miss this.

The LeTub Saloon
1100 North Ocean Drive
Hollywood, FL 33019-3309
(954) 921-9425
Le Tub Saloon on Urbanspoon

Pelican Landing (Hyatt Regency Pier 66) – Considered “Fort Lauderdale’s Best Kept Secret,” A casual place with simple and good food.  Great people and boat watching at this place.  Go during happy hour and this place is even better since drinks and appetizers are discounted.

Pelican Landing (Hyatt Regency Pier 66)
2301 Southeast 17th Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
(954) 525-6666
PelicanLanding  (Hyatt Regency Pier 66) on Urbanspoon

Greek Island Tavern – I have been to Greece and this place has good authentic Greek food.  If you like Greek food you can not miss this place. The Greek salads and the feta here is amazing.  The lamb is out of this world.  Their soups are delicious.  The menu is large and everything I have had here was always just prepared great. On top of that the staff is really nice and the service is great. Don’t miss this place.

Greek Island Tavern
3300 North Ocean Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308-7119
(954) 568-0008
Greek Islands Taverna on Urbanspoon

Casa D’Angelo Ristorante – Excellent Italian place.  You have three locations to choose from , Ft. Lauderdale, Boca Raton and Atlantis Resort in Bahamas.  I have only tried the Ft. Lauderdale one but the food was excellent. Veal in a ragu sauce, homemade sausage, veal scaloppini, sautéed shrimp, so many choices and everything excellent.

Casa D’Angelo Ristorante
1201 North Federal Highway # 5B
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304-1458
(954) 564-1234
Casa D'Angelo Ristorante on Urbanspoon

Café Martorano – This is another Italian place that has 3 locations one in Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood and Las Vegas, NV.  I have only been to the Ft. Lauderdale  one but a great little place.  They are famous for their meatballs so you have to try those.  But they also have great thin crust pizza, lots of pasta and the South Philly favorites.  I didn’t stay this long but I hear at 11pm it turn into a club.

Café Martorano
3343 E Oakland Park Blvd,
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308
(954) 561-2554
Cafe Martorano on Urbanspoon

Sage Café – A french restaurant that has two locations one in Ft. Lauderdale and one in Hollywood, Fl.  Great place for brunch, lunch or dinner and order the crepes.

Sage Café
2378 North Federal Highway
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33305-2562
(954) 565-2299
Sage French-American Cafe on Urbanspoon

Coco Asian Bistro & Bar – This place is in a strip mall, so I would have never gone here if I didn’t know about it and it’s a great little surprise.  Very chic and stylish little place. The Chef is from Thailand and the food is excellent.  The spring rolls, dumplings, and curry is excellent.  The menu is large and something for everyone.

Coco Asian Bistro & Bar
1841 Cordova Road
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
(954) 525-3541
Coco Asian Bistro & Bar on Urbanspoon

Vienna Café & Wine Bar – Great Food, Great Atmosphere, Great Wine!  Do not miss the Danish meatballs.

Vienna Café & Wine Bar
9100 W State Road 84
Davie, FL 33324-4416
(954) 423-1961
Vienna Cafe & Wine Bar on Urbanspoon

Wild East Bistro – Another great Asian Bistro with lots of choices here. Dumplings, Shrimp, scallion pancakes, Shrimp in Grand Marnier and they have kimchi. Something for everyone here. Sit outside but don’t fall into the river.

Wild East Bistro
1200 E Las Olas Blvd # 101
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301-2367
(954) 828-1888
Wild East Asian Bistro on Urbanspoon

31 Responses to “Top 10 Restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale, FL”

Splendid Willow — May 10, 2011 @ 6:30 am

Hi my friend,

Good to have you back! I have never been to Ft. Lauderdale. But perhaps I should go one of these days, especially since my maiden name was Laud! Yes, really!

ox, Mon

business daily — May 10, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

Posted By on December 19th 2009 During a one of our Experts Jarret loved New River Pizza in Fort Lauderdale. I gave him the benefit of the doubt since he was pretty spot on when it came to other places we both liked. Since we had previously agreed on the others I decided not to print my previous negative review I had written about New River pizza and instead print his. But after trying this pizza again I had to give my opinion.You could only imagine the amount of emails and tweets I get daily from pizza lovers around the world suggesting their favorite places. New River Pizza is a location that comes across my desk on a regular basis. They have quite a following amongst the local residents in their area as well as the businesses that order from them weekly. Based upon all these recommendations I went to eat at New River Pizza about six months ago only to be totally let down by what I had eaten. I expected to find some truly amazing pizza here and what I found was nothing more than average.During Refresh Fort Lauderdale the other night Michael Montgomery amazing brilliant fellow if you havent met him yet was nice enough to sponsor the event in conjunction with his law firm. Part of the sponsorship included feeding the restless attendees some pizza. He ended up choosing New River Pizza since it is located in proximity to their downtown office. Since the pizza was there I decided to have a slice and see if maybe I just had a bad experience my last time and they have since changed the recipe. Jarret really liked this place as I have said so perhaps it was just a bad pie I encountered all those months ago. But after trying the slice I have to say I found it average with nothing too special about it.The slice sprinkled a dandruff like substance on the floor as I rubbed my fingers together. Obviously this was due to the over abundance of flour used. It is fair to note that this pizza was delivered and sat in a cardboard box for a bit before I ate it so I cannot totally bash the slice. Normally an amazing pie tastes somewhat decent even after being delivered. This did not. The sauce didnt have any real flavor to it and the cheese tasted very papa johnesque.It is pretty incredible that two pizza experts could find such different words to use to describe the pizza let alone such different ratings on one place. It only goes to show that everybody has their own tastes and maybe mine isnt always right as if! .New River Pizza gets 4 out of 8 slices. Address706 South Federal Highway.Fort Lauderdale FL 33316-1219Phone 954 618-7000Website To subscribe and to receive future reviews from worstpizza.com please register below.

rebecca — May 10, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

I loved the greek restaurant there. Were thrilled to find it for lunch and wished we returned for dinner but didn’t. There was an awesome Salvadorian restaurant there as well though I can’t remember it’s name now. I think we relied on Zagat, Yelp, and another social networking foodie site for most of our recommendations there.

Nami @ Just One Cookbok — May 11, 2011 @ 12:48 am

I hope I can visit there one day…. Looks beautiful and always sunny! :-) Thank you for sharing this post!

carolinaheartstrings — May 11, 2011 @ 8:59 am

What a fun list. I would love to eat at all of them.

Maddie — May 11, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

I’ll have to bookmark this list in case I’m ever in the area. Thanks for sharing your Top 10, Ewa! They all sound equally delicious.

Magic of Spice — May 13, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

I have only been to Florida once and on a business trip…this is a great list and will bookmark it for sure :)

Coleman — May 16, 2011 @ 9:23 am

Don’t you think it’s a bit misleading to call this a “top 10″ list when you only spent a week in the city? You can’t possibly know the top 10; Sage doesn’t belong on any top anything list. How about “10 restaurants I enjoyed”. You’re only qualified to name the Top 10 if you’ve been to many of the other 300 in town.

• Delishhh replied: — May 16th, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

Coleman – Thank you for your comment – I do not agree with you for the following reasons: Since my parents live in Ft. Lauderdale i have been there many times, i guess if you put it all together i have probably spent a few months there. But this list is also in agreement with my parents who have lived there for a little over 10 years. Also i do not think that you have had to gone to every single restaurant to make a top 10 list, with a little research you pick the best 30 or so and then you can pretty much make a top 10 list. Call it what you want but this is still my top 10 list for restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale and i have tried quit a few – i would never want to go to all 300 – i just want to try the best ones. The purpose of the list is not to only have my own list i like to share with friends and blog readers but also make life easier for travelers. I wish i had a top 10 list for all the places i visit – it would make my life so much easier – most of the time when i travel i ask friends for recommendation. Again appreciate your comment.

Coleman — May 17, 2011 @ 4:04 am

She who gets her opinions from others has no opinions worthy of consideration.

Your enthusiasm for mediocre food exposes your lack of credibility.

• Delishhh replied: — May 17th, 2011 @ 6:41 am

Coleman,

Great quote :) I guess you are not a regular reader of my blog or you would not say something like that. But also since you are a review writer of restaurants on Urbanspoon I guess your reviews should not be read by others since the people who read them are not worthy of consideration, I truly hope your readers do not feel the same way about you. Again, thank you for your opinion.

Evan S. Carey — May 31, 2011 @ 11:56 pm

Nice post……….:) thanks for sharing this infomation.
    Printing Ft Lauderdale

Andrew — April 1, 2012 @ 6:31 pm

Used this review and selected Coco Asian Bistro. Fan-tastic! I had the curry, my wife some sushi and my mother had the special- lobster pad-thai. The kids had Chicken-on-a-stick, miso soup and edamami beans. We all loved all of it. Drinks were good too. Service was excellent – way above expectations. Can’t recommend too much. Not far from the beach either, maybe 10 minutes.

Grace Sevilly@backpack beach chair — April 4, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

I would love to visit this place someday. You have a very helpful review!

Foodierdale — May 6, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

I read about YOLO here and I decided to try it. BIG DISSAPONTMENT. Food garnished with ketchup? Seriously? Now it makes me doubt the other recommendations.

• Delishhh replied: — May 6th, 2012 @ 8:59 pm

Foodierdale, Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I always enjoy the food there.

Delishhh » Chocolate Chip Shortbread » Delishhh — May 7, 2012 @ 8:02 am

[...] Year Ago:  Top 10 Restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale Two Years Ago:  Seattle Top 10 Brunch [...]

Bevin — July 28, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

Terrible list. I live here and you are missing so many greats. If I came here on vacation and was using your list, I’d be pissed. I hope your day job is not a food critic.

• Delishhh replied: — July 28th, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

Bevin – let me know some of your favorites and i will try them out.

Bettie — January 5, 2013 @ 10:41 am

Yolo microwaves their food, is more a bar than anything… So many more places to try on Las Olas and Surroundings… Canyon, Johnny V, Caffe Europa, Luigi’s Pizzeria…

Nathan — April 6, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

Johnny V isn’t on this list, which is a fucking travesty.

- a very concerned Fort Lauderdale resident

Restaurants in Pompano Beach FL — July 17, 2013 @ 3:21 am

ones should have been to Ft. Lauderdale.Amazing place to visit and have fun!!!Excellent service available!!

RKJ — July 23, 2013 @ 1:04 pm

I would recommend Mangos On Las Olas. Especially their baked bread & brie as appetizer. Tonight it’s up to Greek Islands! Thanks for the list.

Lawson — August 3, 2013 @ 10:08 am

Hello – I came across your blog while searching for a new restaurant to try for my birthday dinner. It lists some great restaurants including Cafe Martorano which I recently tried for the first time – YUMMY! However, I believe Wild East Bistro is the worst restaurant on Las Olas (where I live). I find the service and food seriously disappointing.

In case you haven’t tried these restaurants…check them out…

Canyon
    *delicious all the way around with the best prickly pear margaritas

Timpano
    timpanochophouse.net
    *great food, good value

Valentinos
    *pricy, but worth every penny

Tap42
    *love the vegetarian options even though i’m not a vegetarian

• Delishhh replied: — August 3rd, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

Lawson – Thank you for the note. I was recently at Canyon and it was FABULOUS. I need to update my list. But definitely delicious. I will try the other two places you recommend too. Thanks again.

Dan — December 21, 2013 @ 11:25 am

While restaurant hunting in Lauderdale, I came across your list — always amusing to get another take on the food scene here. My only quibble is with LeTub. Thought it was an interesting/quirky local but that was about it. Horrible wait staff, and epic wait for seat or food (waited over an hour for food to arrive) and even then it was meh. Better burger options in Lauderdale proper (Burger Fi, Atlantic Surf Club). LeTub has been cruising on the Oprah rep too long.

• Delishhh replied: — December 28th, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

Dan,

I hear you – haven’t been to the LeTub for awhile. I should really update the list. Thank you for the great options for good burgers really appreciate it.

Hanna — December 26, 2013 @ 3:06 pm

Hi Ewa: I love the following restaurants
    *Thasos Greek Taverna – 3330 E Oakland Park Blvd,
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308

*Thai Spice – 1514 East Commercial Boulevard
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33334-5751

For a gluten free & vegan option, try:
    *Green Bar & Kitchen – 1075 SE 17th St.Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316

Thanks for your list.

• Delishhh replied: — December 28th, 2013 @ 2:00 pm

Hanna – Great list. I have been to the Greek place and love it! Thank so much for the list.

Food specialist — February 12, 2014 @ 5:48 pm

If you go to timpanos on las load you must have their mussels!!

Jeff — March 3, 2014 @ 4:38 pm

Great post, but make sure to include Ethos Greek Bistro in Coconut Creek for a great Greek salad. FTLtoday.com