Sunday, July 31, 2011

Rum Raisin Ice Cream

I have no idea why but Rum Raisin ice cream is not very common here, growing up in Sweden I used to love it as a kid and I have not had for over 10 years.  Soak your raisins in rum overnight and then make your favorite vanilla ice cream recipe and add them.  You will not be disappointed.  The ice cream is creamy and the cold frozen raisins pop with rum in your mouth. Delishhh!

Rum Raisin Ice Cream

Adapted From: David Lebovitz

Yields: 1 quart | Prep Time: 24 hours | Chill Time: 2 hours

1 cup (250ml) raisins
½ cup (120ml) dark rum
1 cup (250ml) whole milk
A pinch of salt
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 cups (500ml) heavy cream
5 large egg yolks
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Soak the raisins in rum overnight.

Heat the milk, salt, and sugar in a saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the milk with a paring knife, then add the bean pod to the milk. Cover, remove from heat, and infuse for one hour.

To make the ice cream, set up an ice bath by placing a 2-quart (2l) bowl in a larger bowl partially filled with ice and water. Set a strainer over the top of the smaller bowl and pour the cream into the bowl.

In a separate bowl, stir together the egg yolks. Rewarm the milk then gradually pour some of the milk into the yolks, whisking constantly as you pour. Scrape the warmed yolks and milk back into the saucepan.

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom with a heat-resistant spatula, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula.

Strain the custard into the heavy cream. Stir over the ice until cool, add the vanilla extract, then refrigerate to chill thoroughly. Preferably overnight.

Remove the vanilla bean.  Drain the raisins from the rum and pour into the custard and freeze the custard in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

I made this delicious ice cream with Horizon Organic Dairy products.

Come visit me and the other Horizon Dairy Community Leaders on the Back to School Discussion boards where you can join the discussion and get some great back to school tips, on anything from time savers, to school lunches and lots more advice from moms. Don’t miss out on the discussions.

One Year Ago: Chicken Stock

33 Responses to “Rum Raisin Ice Cream”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 1, 2011 @ 3:53 am

honestly i’ve never even tried rum raisin ice cream but i can’t imagine how it could be anything but amazing! it looks so creamy and delicious!

Faith — August 1, 2011 @ 7:35 am

I’ve never had this type of ice cream before but it looks so tempting. I should give it a try soon.

Hope you have a wonderful week ahead.

carolinaheartstrings — August 1, 2011 @ 11:07 am

That looks so wonderful. I bet it tastes as good as it looks. Delicious. Come over and visit us. We have a wonderful Southern recipe to try.

Nami | Just One Cookbook — August 1, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

You know what, I didn’t realize until you mentioned. It’s true, this flavor is not as common as in Japan too! This is my mom’s favorite. As a kid I wanted to taste her ice cream but I remember rum taste was too weird. Now that I’m old (but still not a big alcohol drinker) I feel nostalgic to this taste and even miss it. Yours look so perfectly delicious!

• Delishhh replied: — August 11th, 2011 @ 7:22 am

Nami – Would love to hear if you changed your mind or if you still think this flavor is weird.

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 1, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Those raisins must be incredible after soaking all night!

Lisa~~ — August 1, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

Funny, I too loved Rum Raisin as a child yet haven’t seen or had it in years. Yours looks wonderful, such memories.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

Splendid Willow — August 2, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

Maybe we should try your recipe when we bring out the icecream maker tomorrow!

Sunny and warm and we are rolling in the sand dunes! Wihoooo!!!!

Warm hugs to you my friend,

Mon

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — August 3, 2011 @ 1:37 am

My husband isn’t a fan of rum raisin ice cream and frankly i think he’s nuts! Oh well, that means there’s more for me 😉

• Delishhh replied: — August 11th, 2011 @ 7:21 am

Sylvie – Really? oh more for you then. . .

flyer printing — August 3, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

I love this ice cream recipe! I used this in my Cuisine Art ice cream maker. Very good! This is so much better than store bought! I’ve recommended this to my friends and they too loved this ice cream. Thanks!

Magic of Spice — August 8, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

I have not tried an ice cram yet, but I want to soon. Yours looks so creamy and delicious!

Ruth Lopez — August 9, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

Yummy and creamy! I love icecream and raisins. Eating this is like getting all my favorites in one foodie. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Shelby — August 11, 2011 @ 2:32 am

I want ice cream! 😉

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — August 11, 2011 @ 4:24 am

Rum Raisin ice cream is such a classic recipe. I love it but haven’t had it in such a long time. I think I’ll be making some this weekend!

• Delishhh replied: — August 11th, 2011 @ 7:17 am

Lana – Yeah once you make this it doesn’t last long. . .:)

Eliana — August 11, 2011 @ 6:13 am

I was going to say I have to rush to make this before the summer is over but I can surely enjoy it all year long. Looks amazing!

Splendid Willow — August 11, 2011 @ 6:26 am

I am back! 10 pounds heavier after a lot of ice cream and good wine! But I am happy and relaxed!

Warn hugs to you,

Mon

Sarah — August 11, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

I never really like rum raisin ice cream until I got older. I now love the way the rum gives the raisins flavor but prevents them from freezing. Yum! 🙂

saroja — August 12, 2011 @ 3:56 am

http://guidetotastyfood.blogspot.com amazin new recipies

tasteofbeirut — August 15, 2011 @ 4:42 am

This is the kind of ice-cream that is worth making at home! I can just imagine the tantalizing flavor and how much better this is than the store-bought kind!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — August 15, 2011 @ 8:09 am

The ice cream looks heavenly. I’ve never had rum raisin.

Nishi — August 16, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

Hi Ewa,

This is my first time here and I just love your space. It has some amazing recipes coupled with awesome photography. I am delighted to follow you 🙂

business daily — August 24, 2011 @ 7:22 am

I pulled it out last month to make this glorious vanilla custard based ice cream and I havent hit the ice cream aisle since…Homemade ice cream is so freaking good I can barely wait to make another batch. As long as you have heavy cream milk sugar and vanilla in your kitchen you can have fresh ice cream any time you want.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — August 25, 2011 @ 9:51 am

wow this look so good!

Saundra Chan — December 11, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

As a kid I wanted to taste her ice cream but I remember rum taste was too weird. Those raisins must be incredible after soaking all night! Delicious.

Best Recipes in 2011 — Delishhh — January 3, 2012 @ 9:18 am

[…] 7. Rum Raisin Ice Cream […]

Peach and Ginger Pie » Delishhh — July 29, 2012 @ 5:14 am

[…] Year Ago: Rum Raisin Ice Cream Two Years Ago: Chicken Stock Posted by Delishhh on July 29, 2012 Leave a Comment » […]

Frank Berra — February 3, 2013 @ 7:55 am

ice bath are needed if you want to relieve muscular pain and swelling but for more sever pain, you need pain killers and anti-inflammatories..

Up to date posting on our web site
    <i="http://www.healthmedicinecentral.com/pimple-on-tongue/

movers and packers delhi rates — June 13, 2014 @ 6:51 pm

I think this is one of the most important information for me.

And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The web site style is ideal,
    the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

abidingphantom415.snack.ws — December 23, 2014 @ 12:13 pm

Hello there, You’ve done an incredible job. I will certainly digg
    it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this website.

Mckenzie Rainbott — January 4, 2015 @ 7:26 am

Really when someone doesn’t understand after that its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it occurs.