Thursday, March 8, 2012

Morning Glory Muffins

Always looking for something healthy to have quickly in the morning, I am a person that needs to eat within 30 minutes after I get up or I get really cranky.  So if you need to take the dog out, feed your little one, work out, or run off to work, this is an excellent on the run healthy and filling muffin.

Morning Glory Muffins

1 cup grated carrots
1 medium tart apple, peeled and grated
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp dried flaked unsweetened coconut, divided

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a muffin tin with paper liners.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and kosher salt. Whisk the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined.

In another bowl, combine the eggs, applesauce, vegetable oil and vanilla. Stir in carrots, apple, raisins, coconut and walnuts.

Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined, but do not overmix.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Adapted from: Whole Food Market

One Year Ago: Blueberry Quinoa Pecan Muffins
Two Years Ago: Schnitzel

14 Responses to “Morning Glory Muffins”

Kirsten@My German Kitchen...in the Rockies — March 8, 2012 @ 6:43 pm

That’s me. This morning I simply forgot to eat, while preparing my kids lunches. Just terrible. I am always on the search for a healthy, quick, but tasty breakfast. Yours sounds great. Thanks!

Katarina — March 8, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

Delicious :) A great muffin for breakfast!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — March 9, 2012 @ 12:13 am

Those look packed with wonderful flavors, a perfect start to the day!

Divya Yadava — March 9, 2012 @ 8:06 pm

That’s such a great way to start the day. Wholewheat pastry flour is awesome. Healthy and tastes much better than regular!

I’ve also been experimenting with adding coconut flour (it’s high fibre, so makes muffins even healthier). Have you tried that before? I would totally recommend trying it out!

Anna @ the shady pine — March 11, 2012 @ 11:39 am

I know what you mean….I need to eat breakfast as soon as I get up in the mornings. These look perfect especially for days when I am rushing to get out the door.

Magic of Spice — March 11, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

I love the name…these look delightful and so healthy :)

Nami | Just One Cookbook — March 12, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

How are you doing with baby Ella? I hope you are doing well too!

What a great muffins to start a day. For me, I need to eat within 10-15 minutes! I get hungry as soon as I get up. =) I love these healthy muffins!

Dianna @ mytinnitusstory.com — March 13, 2012 @ 8:13 am

This is pretty delicious, I will try to prepared this type for my children…

Cley@howtotranslatepdf — March 13, 2012 @ 3:49 pm

That’s so mouth-watering! I will surely baked this muffins at home.. Thanks for sharing this! Keep up the good work!

Raymund — March 18, 2012 @ 1:16 am

I would love to have this for my breakfast tomorrow, they look so good

carolinaheartstrings — March 20, 2012 @ 10:12 am

Those look delicious! My husband would love them. Come visit us today. We are giving away 3 wonderful charm bracelets from Cutey. They are terrific.

Nicole — March 21, 2012 @ 6:38 am

this so nice and I like it.
    thanks that you sheared this.
    great job.

Morgan — April 21, 2013 @ 5:27 pm

Can’t wait to try these, just making them now. But curious, why divide the coconut? It doesn’t mention anything later about using a separate amount of the coconut for something.

turnaround management — August 19, 2014 @ 6:57 pm

Hello Dear, are you actually visiting this site on a
    regular basis, if so then you will without doubt take nice experience.