Sunday, May 27, 2012

Rhubarb Crumble on the Grill

It’s Memorial Day weekend in the US and this is the weekend the grilling seasons starts.  I l0ve preparing food outside and eating outside.  If i could i would move move my kitchen outside for the whole summer.  Unfortunately Seattle weather is not that cooperative so it would not work but i can dream.

Rhubarb crumble on the grill is such a fun thing to do for a picnic (yes you can easily transport this) or just do outside on the grill. This recipe is for 6 people but it can easily be doubled for a bigger crowd.

This post if also for the the World on a plate cultural exchange.  On the last Sunday of the month, bloggers from all over the world get together to interpret a food through the lens of their home country cooking. Each blogger will produce a wonderful dish featuring the food chosen that is typical of her/his home country and will tell us a bit about the dish. This month the theme is grilling.  Swedes are huge when it comes to summer grilling.  Everyone start eating outside and moving their “kitchen” to the back yard.

Now pack up and let’s make a crumble on the grill.

Also my contribution to Månadens Sötsak where this months theme is Summer.

Rhubarb Crumble on the Grill

1/3 cups sugar
11 tbsp (75g) butter
2/3 cups and 3 tbsp (2 dl) flour
2/3 cups (1 ½ dl) oats
4 tbsp (½ dl) sugar

Topping (optional):
Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream

Directions:

Spread out the foil and put a piece of parchment paper on each foil piece. Rhubarb is acidic and you don’t want the rhubarb to create holes in your foil and leak and therefore need the extra support. If you are going far you can role these up for transportation.

Chop the rhubarb into small pieces and mix with the 1/3 cup of sugar. If transporting you can mix the 1/3 sugar and rhubarb together, in a small bag.

Mix the butter, flour, oats, 4 tbsp sugar into small pieces; you can use your hands or a fork. If transporting you can put this into a bag.

When it is time for the grill, roll out the foil/parchment first, put some of the rhubarb/sugar mixture on each equally. Then add the butter/flour/oat/sugar mixture on top. Then fold each package but leave some air in their. Put them on the grill but not on top of the flame, you want it to the side of the flame. This is easy to burn so make sure you do not have high or direct heat. Let it grill for 15-20 minutes.

When done open up and add vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if handy. If you are away and have some heavy cream but not whipped, you can add the cream to a bag blow some air into it and shake the bag until the cream is whipped.

Adapted from Allt om Mat

One Year Ago: Strata
Two Years Ago: Cream Puffs

25 Responses to “Rhubarb Crumble on the Grill”

Vijitha — May 27, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

Wow, I have never made many desserts on a grill. All I do is wrapping ripen bananas, chocolate sauce and peanut butter over a foil and grill them for 10 minutes. That was my easy snack to please the crowd. Now I am going to keep your recipe in mind and make it for my next BBQ party. Can I replace white sugar with coconut palm sugar or agave?
    PS: I love the fact that the recipe is so simple and easy to assemble.

• Delishhh replied: — May 28th, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

Vijitha – I am sure you can replace the sugar with anything that is sweet. Let me know how it tastes.

Anna @ the shady pine — May 27, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

Crumbles are one of my favourite winter desserts! Rhubarb is just the ultimate ingredient for a crumble…looks great!

Raymund — May 27, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

Very creative, this is the first time I see a dessert made in a grill

Anna @The Littlest Anchovy — May 28, 2012 @ 2:17 am

What a sensational idea! I have never thought of doing something like this before – love it. Thanks for having me involved in this group too!

PolaM — May 28, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

Thanks for bringing dessert to the party! Now we can have a real meal! Love it!

Donna — May 28, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

What a fabulous idea!

I am the camp cook for a church girl’s camp and I am so excited to put this on the menu! Thanks for posting!

carolinaheartstrings — May 28, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

This is such a wonderful idea. I know it tastes wonderful. It makes me want to try all kinds of things on the grill. Come and visit us. We have so many wonderful things going on this week.

Baker Street — May 28, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

Oh this is such a unique idea. I’ve never imagined crumble on the grill! Great recipe. :)

Shut Up & Cook — May 28, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

My rhubarb plant is out of control and we love, love, love grilling so this one sounds like a perfect option!

Katerina — May 28, 2012 @ 11:03 pm

This is so original. A grilled sweet is something I have never tried! This crumble looks very appetizing!

Sanjeeta kk — May 29, 2012 @ 8:22 am

Crumble on a grill..what a wonderful party idea. Lovely clicks.

Splendid Willow — May 29, 2012 @ 10:08 am

I love Rhubarb but that is the only thing on the planet that you can not serve my Hubby. He will run out the front door…

Kids or no kids on Friday? So looking forward to it!

Bamsekram

Mon

• Delishhh replied: — May 29th, 2012 @ 10:21 am

Good to know :) !

Rosa — May 29, 2012 @ 11:47 pm

An interesting way of making crumble. It looks delicious. One of my favorite desserts…

Cheers,

Rosa

Kitchen Karma — May 30, 2012 @ 12:06 am

What a lovely idea…never thought of making dessert on the grill…yes now the party is complete with the dessert :-)

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — May 30, 2012 @ 6:55 am

The would be perfect for camping!!

Katherine Martinelli — May 30, 2012 @ 11:25 am

Oh wow! So creative to come up with a dessert recipe for grilling. And I love anything rhubarb!

Suzanne — May 30, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

me about making desserts
    on the grill! A few summers
    ago we did a houseboat holiday
    in Northern Minnesota and I
    was in charge of the meals. I
    did individual peach-berry
    cobblers on the grill and they
    were amazing, just like this
    recipe sounds!

xo Suzanne

Jen @ Savory Simple — June 1, 2012 @ 5:09 am

A grilled dessert… I love it! What a great way to use rhubarb.

Sommarsött | Söta saker — June 1, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

[...] Grillad rhubarb crumble från Delishhh. [...]

Nami | Just One Cookbook — June 1, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

This is an interesting way to make rhubarb crumble. Even though I’m not a baker, I can ask my husband to grill this and I can eat homemade crumble! =) What a great idea and the best part is that it’s fun!!

Magic of Spice — June 4, 2012 @ 9:55 am

How fun is that! It looks fantastic and such a great way to get out of the kitchen…perfect for summer :)

Sofie Dittmann @thegermanfoodie — June 5, 2012 @ 6:35 am

This sounds as easy as it is ingenious. I’ve never had this dish prepared that way, nor would I have thought to make it on the grill!

Hyosun Ro — June 7, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

What a nice idea! Peaches are probably only thing I’ve grilled for dessert. Thanks for the great recipe!