Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Thai Curry Squash Soup

Last weekend I had a “girl’s night get together.”  I always think that when I have just women over I can do some interesting menus.  One time I did a salad bar which was a hug hit but this time I decided to do a “soup night” I served 3 different soups and it was a huge hit.  Also during the night I always have Chocolate Tasting which everyone enjoys.  So for this soup night I was looking for different recipes and I came across this similar recipe on 101 Cookbooks.  The original recipe calls for water but I think chicken stock makes is a more tasty soup.  This soup is a great combination of sweet creamy with a little bit of spicy curry.  Love it and it is very easy to make too.

Thai Curry Squash Soup

Prep Time: 90 minutes | Yields: 6 servings

2 acorn squash
3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
1 tsp (or more) red Thai curry paste. Depends on your paste.  Start with 1 tsp and add more if you need more spice.
1 cup chicken stock
2 tsp sea salt

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and place the oven racks in the middle.

Carefully cut each squash into halves. Slather each piece of squash with butter, sprinkle generously with salt, place on a baking sheet skin sides down, and place in the oven. Roast for about an hour or until the squash is tender throughout.

In a large pot add the curry paste so the flavor come out. You never want to add curry paste to liquid always sauté it before.  Then scoop the squash  into the pot. Then add the chicken stock and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and puree with a hand blender, if you feel your consistency is too thick add more chicken stock

Bring up to a simmer again and add the salt (and more curry paste if you like, I used just 3 tsp but I like mine spicy)

Enjoy!

Note:  If you are in a hurry and do not have the time to wait for the pumpkin to roast in the oven you can just boil it for about 15 minutes in the stock and coconut.  It tastes almost as good but the squash is a little harder to peal the skin off.

10 Responses to “Thai Curry Squash Soup”

My Kitchen in the Rockies — October 13, 2010 @ 8:49 am

That is my kind of soup. It sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Maddie — October 14, 2010 @ 6:58 am

Look great — I aspire to make more Thai food at home (and rely less on takeout), and this soup sounds like a good way to ease into it. :)

D. @ Outside Oslo — October 14, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Sounds like a tasty variation on the classic fall squash soup!

Patty — October 14, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

Oh yes…I could very much get on board with this thai soup of yours. Gorgeous color and no doubt, delicious. My most favorite food in the world IS thai food, so this recipe is really right up my alley. Thanks so much for sharing. And girls night get together sounds like a lot of fun! We do a ‘mom’s night out’ once a month for us old folks with kids! But it is a lot of fun!

Anne's Kitchen — October 19, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

Looks great! I like the little squash that surround your bowl – very pretty :)

Garlic Shrimp — Delishhh — March 13, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

[...] Thai Curry Squash Soup Thai Chicken with Plum Sauce Fish Sauce with Thai Chilis – “Prik Nam Pla” Fried Rice with Chicken [...]

Helen in Houston — June 23, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

Yummmmm. The picture set my mouth to “drooling” so I had to rush out and buy acorn squash. It was perfect! I’m so glad I found your website

Cranberry Bread — Delishhh — October 16, 2011 @ 8:30 pm

[...] Year Ago:  Thai Curry Squash Soup // If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a Comment, Tweet, Stumble, Facebook [...]

Julie at Burnt Carrots — October 17, 2011 @ 7:01 am

This sounds wonderful and healthy in comparison to the soups I usually make….. :) I will def give it a try. I also love your soup idea!

Em Rohrer — October 17, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

Had to let you know I tried this recipe and it was absolutely fantastic, love it!