Sunday, February 27, 2011

Chocolate Panna Cotta and Coconut Florentine Cookies

It is that time of the month again; here is the next Daring Bakers challenge.

The February 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Mallory from A Sofa in the Kitchen. She chose to challenge everyone to make Panna Cotta from a Giada De Laurentiis recipe and Nestle Florentine Cookies.

This is the first time I have made Panna Cotta and the only reason why I have not made it before then is because every time I have ordered it at a restaurant I have never liked it.  Could be because they put gelatin like things on top of it or the flavor is wrong.  I am not sure, I hate gelatin.  But now I love Panna Cotta.  This recipe here is fabulous.  It was just like a smooth and creamy chocolate pudding.  Delishhh!

Also Florentine Cookies are almost as these Swedish Oatmeal Wafers, but the difference is that in the Swedish version we use butter, egg, baking powder and very little flour.  So it makes them thinner and crispier.  Florentine cookies do not use butter, eggs, or baking power but instead milk and syrup and then a lot more flour so they are not as crispy but more chewy cookies.

I love both cookies, they are both very versatile you can add anything in between them chocolate, whipped cream etc.  Also very easy to shape as well, as soon as you get them out of the oven put them on any form and they will make the shape of the form.  If you make them half circle you can even fill them with things.

So after thinking of what would go with Chocolate Panna Cotta I decided that a great addition is coconut.  I decided to make a Plain chocolate Panna Cotta with coconut Florentine cookies.  Since I am a chocolate and coconut love to me this combination was heaven.

Chocolate Panna Cotta

Recipe adapted from Bob Appetit

Yields: 6-8 servings | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cooling: 4-6 hours

1 cup (240 ml) whole milk
1 tbsp unflavored powdered gelatin
2 cups (480 ml) whipping cream
½ cup (115 g) sugar
¾ cup (145 gm) bittersweet chocolate
½ teaspoon (2½ ml) vanilla extract

Pour milk into a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over the top, set aside for 2-5 minutes. Make sure it is a think layer and no lumps.
Place a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir in cream, sugar and vanilla. Bring to a low boil.

Add chocolate and whisk until melted. Whisk the milk/gelatin mixture into chocolate cream mixture. Whisk until gelatin has dissolved.

Transfer to ramekins, or nice glasses for serving.

Cover and chill at least 4-6 hours, or overnight

If you would like to unmold your Panna Cotta from a ramekin simply run a knife along the edge, dip the ramekin in a bit of hot water, then invert onto your serving platter.

Coconut Florentine Cookies

Recipe from the cookbook “Nestle Classic Recipe

Yields: 40 cookies | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 6-8 minutes

2/3 cup (150 g) unsalted butter
2 cups (480 ml) quick or regular oats
1 cup (240 ml) granulated sugar
2/3 cup (160 ml) all purpose flour
1/4 cup (60 ml) dark corn syrup
1/4 cup (60 ml) whole milk
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1½ cups (360 ml) coconut flakes

Preheat oven to moderately hot 375°F (190°C).  Prepare your baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper.

Melt butter in a medium saucepan, then remove from the heat.

To the melted butter add oats, sugar, flour, corn syrup, milk, vanilla, salt, and coconut. Mix well. Drop a tablespoon full, three inches (75 mm) apart, onto your prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly with the back of your tablespoon, or use a spatula.

Bake in preheated oven for 6-8 minutes, until cookies are golden brown. Cool completely on the baking sheets.

Peel the cookies from the silpat or parchment and place face down on a wire rack or form if you want to shape your cookies.

Other Similar Recipes:

Oatmeal Wafers with Nutella
Sesame Seed Snaps
Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse
Cow Patties

One Year Ago: Roasted Vegetables

20 Responses to “Chocolate Panna Cotta and Coconut Florentine Cookies”

Tiffany (Food Finery) — February 27, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Beautiful! What a delicious recipe! I am a sucker for panna cotta :)

Food Frenzy — February 27, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

Congrats on making this the first time. It sure looks good.

We invite you to share this post and some of your favorite food posts on Food Frenzy.
    Please check out our community.

Irvin — February 27, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

Those look fantastic! I love the addition of the coconut. I’ve actually always avoided panna cotta at the restaurants too because of the gelatin. Plus it sounded really boring, but I was delighted with the challenge because it made me realize that it’s such a versatile dish!

Congrats on your version of the challenge!

Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food — February 27, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

I don’t think of myself as a panna cotta fan either, but with chocolate? That does sound absolutely lovely. However, I mainly have eyes here for your florentines (and your linked Swedish oatmeal wafers, too). So invitingly crisp and appealing for a “little bite” with tea or coffee. Yum!

sonia — February 27, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

Fantastic chocolate panna cotta and lovely presentation. Its looking so inviting and delicious that I just wish it flies to me from your blog. I’ve bookmarked this recipe and added to my must try list, need to give it a shot soon…. cheers !

Audax Artifex — February 28, 2011 @ 5:25 am

WOW those cookies are impressive I love how you shaped them so cute. And lovely to hear that you loved the panna cotta recipe so much. Great work on this challenge.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Eliana — February 28, 2011 @ 5:54 am

You did so well with this challenge. Your panna cotta and cookies looks amazing.

Renee (Kudos Kitchen) — February 28, 2011 @ 7:08 am

I think I’ll try your chocolate pana cotta next time. I’m not a huge pana cotta fan but maybe with the flavor of chocolate, I’ll be a convert. Your Florentine cookies with the addition of coconut sound wonderful too!

carolinaheartstring — February 28, 2011 @ 8:16 am

Wow looks like you did a wonderful job with both.

Helena Ljunggren — February 28, 2011 @ 11:41 am

Lovely pics!

Leigha — February 28, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

My mouth is literally already watering. Mmmm.

Leigha

Sofia — February 28, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

Undra om man kan lära sig att diska med händerna bakom ryggen? Innergården här är ändå ganska fin :) Men i framtidshuset blir det definitivt en diskbänk framför fönstret. Det måste väl ändå vara det bästa stället i hela köket man kan placera den på!
    Tack för titten!
    Kram

Juliana — February 28, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

Wow, chocolate panna cotta…looks fabulous, so tasty and creamy :-) The cookie too looks yummie, what a great pair! Have a wonderful week ahead!

Splendid Willow — February 28, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

Oh la la! Something for me too!

Warm hugs to you my friend (I still have a wicked cold…).

Mon

Att vara någons fru — February 28, 2011 @ 10:53 pm

Å jisses vad gott! Nomnomnom.

Susanne — March 1, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

Oh, detta såg mumsigt värre ut.
    Fin sida du har med härliga fina foton och mycket gott att tillaga.

//Susanne

Privet and Holly — March 1, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

I’d say this is a match made
    in heaven ~ wonderful!!
    xx Suzanne

Megan — March 2, 2011 @ 8:18 am

I’ve never had chocolate panna cotta (only vanilla) but I’ll have to fix that. And what a wonderful cookie to go with it!

Lea — March 14, 2011 @ 7:03 am

Great photograph!
    Both looks stunning. I love how you rolled the florentines cookies. What a great idea to pair it with coconut! Must have tasted amazing!

Delishhh » No Bake Nutella Cheesecake » Delishhh — June 5, 2012 @ 4:06 am

[...] Year Ago: Chocolate Panna Cotta and Coconut Floretine Cookies Two Years Ago: Roasted Vegetables Posted by Delishhh on February 27, 2012 16 Comments » [...]