Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Blueberry Quinoa Pecan Muffins

Folks I have a confession to for you, I do not cook and blog full time and it is not my career.  No seriously, I really wish it was, but not possible at this time.  I do have another career and day job.  I get up pretty early each morning to get ready for my other job and i am pretty much at my office at 7am due to the time difference with the folks I work with.  But because of this I create or pack my breakfast and lunch the night before.  I am always looking for great breakfasts and lunched for work so I am creating a new category for my creations and calling them “on the run.”  Sometimes I do not have much time to eat breakfast or lunch, sometime I have to eat them “on the run” or at my desk.  I bring my breakfast and lunch I can eat healthy and also keep my blood sugar stable during the day. I do not like to hit Starbucks to pick up a sugary scone or muffin in the morning that is 300+ calories and gives me a huge sugar spike and then makes me tired two hours later in search for some extra caffeine.  I really think there are many folks out there that have the same problem, and always looking for some good ideas.

There are a few things that are important here for me.  Breakfast needs to be easy, healthy, low in sugar, and filling.  Lunch need to be able to stay fresh from the making of the night before but also be healthy and not make me sleepy.  I hate when you over eat during lunch and one hour later you are ready for an afternoon nap at your desk or have to do a caffeine run.  Sound familiar?  For me that means no pasta or bread for lunch. But lunch also needs to be filling and keep me satisfied for most of the afternoon.

I have been doing this for a few years so I have lots “on the run” recipes and love to share them with you.  My first one in this category will be a healthy breakfast muffin.

This one includes Quinoa which has been all over the news recently.

Quinoa is commonly considered a grain, quinoa is actually a relative of leafy green vegetables like spinach and Swiss chard. It is a recently rediscovered ancient “grain” once considered “the gold of the Incas” because they recognized its value in increasing the stamina of their warriors.  Not only is quinoa high in protein, but the protein it supplies is complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids. Not only is quinoa’s amino acid profile well balanced, making it a good choice for vegans concerned about adequate protein intake, but quinoa is especially well-endowed with the amino acid lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair. In addition to protein, quinoa features a host of other health-building nutrients. Because quinoa is a very good source of manganese as well as a good source of magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorus, this “grain” may be especially valuable for persons with migraine headaches, diabetes and atherosclerosis.

If you do a search on Quinoa on Google you will find all kinds of health benefits on it.  And I can tell you that these muffins are small but filling.  They are not sweet at all, the only sweetness you are basically tasting from these muffins are from the blueberries, otherwise these are moist and nutty.  And these muffins are less than 200 calories per muffin.

As usual I am eager to hear what other folks do “on the run.”

Blueberry Quinoa Pecan Muffins

Adapted from New York Times

Yields: 12 muffins | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Bake Time: 25 minutes

1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour (You can make your own quinoa flour just by grinding quinoa, about 1/4 cup at a time, in a spice mill. Once ground, sift the flour, and then grind any whole quinoa that stays behind in the sifter.)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large or extra large eggs
1/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup blueberries

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with a rack in the middle. Oil 12 muffin cups. Sift together whole-wheat flour, quinoa flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, maple syrup or agave nectar, buttermilk, canola oil and vanilla. Quickly whisk in the flour mixture, then fold in the cooked quinoa, pecans and blueberries. Combine well.

Spoon into muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned. Cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then remove from the mold and cool on a rack.

27 Responses to “Blueberry Quinoa Pecan Muffins”

Suzanne — March 9, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

looks good and healthy. I bought some quinoa but haven’t used it yet, now I need to try this out but need the flour-no spice grinder. Thanks for visiting my blog the other day, your comments were so nice!

deeba — March 9, 2011 @ 10:52 pm

I’d love to use quinoa but it costs the Earth here. Have been experimenting with whole grains and gluten free baking of late. It’s fun and it’s a whole new baking ground. Love these muffins!

Amanda — March 10, 2011 @ 4:18 am

I have only had quinoa once and it was in a cold salad with cucumber and some other goodies. It was really good. I need to incorporate it into my diet, these muffins look wonderful! I used to work full time for many years, so I can totally relate to everything you said!

sonia — March 10, 2011 @ 4:53 am

This must be a true delight to have anytime. An ultimate combo of heath and nutrition and so gud for the little ones too !

My Kitchen in the Rockies — March 10, 2011 @ 5:49 am

We eat a lot of Quinoa, but I never thought of baking with it. Very interesting recipe, with the ground and cooked Quinoa.
    My on the run breakfast is homemade Chai Granola with Kefir. Just delicious!

Mandie — March 10, 2011 @ 6:00 am

I love Quinoa, never thought of adding it to a muffin. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

Stacey West-Feather — March 10, 2011 @ 6:14 am

These look so good! Love your blog!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — March 10, 2011 @ 6:45 am

Those muffins look delicious. I’m going to love this series, i’m forever on the run ;)

• Delishhh replied: — March 10th, 2011 @ 8:57 am

Thanks for the story on Swedish Visiting cake – you know i had been looking for that answer for awhile :)

Katrina — March 10, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Yum. I love quinoa and will just have to try this.

carolinaheartstrings — March 10, 2011 @ 8:21 am

Those look really wonderful. I have never tried quinoa, but am definitely going to try this recipe.

Kristen — March 10, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

I am seriously wondering why I hadn’t thought of grinding up quinoa. We don’t eat it often, but the whole family loves it when I cook it up. This is a great sounding muffin.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — March 10, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

I love muffins for breakfast and I am new to quinoa, I’ve only tried it a couple of times. I will be trying these soon.

megan @ whatmegansmaking — March 11, 2011 @ 5:29 am

I’ve never tried quinoa before, but I’ve wanted to. I haven’t seen it in my grocery store, but I guess I haven’t really looked either. These sound good, like what I need for snacks. I make way too many sugary sweet muffins, not enough healthy ones :)

Megan — March 11, 2011 @ 7:50 am

What a great breakfast.I knew quinoa was a complete protein but I had no idea it had lysine in it. I take lysine supplements. I guess I need to eat more quinoa and these muffins would be a great source! Love the new *on the run* series.

Maddie — March 11, 2011 @ 7:57 am

For someone who posts as prolifically as you do in addition to having a day job, I’m quite impressed! You must have a lot of energy to keep it all up—I’m sure the quinoa and blueberries help out on that front. :)

Elle — March 11, 2011 @ 8:04 am

LOVE these! You know, we have quinoa all the time but I’ve never baled with it. You’ve inspired me!

Elle — March 11, 2011 @ 8:04 am

I mean “baked.” oops

Kankana — March 11, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

I think you are amazing! I think you are doing great with your blog and I am with you on your breakfast ideas .. needs to be healthy and less calories

Oh, It's Just Perfect! — March 11, 2011 @ 7:59 pm

Perfect!! I definitely need something like this in the morning because I am ALWAYS running late. Yes, terrible trait. Can’t wait to see more of your “on the run” recipes!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — March 12, 2011 @ 6:21 am

These sound wonderful, I love to experiment with new flours in my baking. The fact that they are healthy and low in calories is also great.

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) — March 20, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

WOW! I need to make these. I have never heard of making muffin with quinoa and it sure sounds like a great idea. I’m with you on trying to eat healthy during the day and it can be a challenge. I’m looking forward to more of your ‘on the go’ recipes. Cheers and kudos.

Ingrid — April 15, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

Am I missing something? The recipe doesn’t tell us how many blueberries to use!?

• Delishhh replied: — April 15th, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

Sorry about that just fixed it 1 cup of blueberries. Thanks for finding an error :)

anonymous — June 16, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

Wow this would be a great way to start the day! It looks totally delish. It reminded me of some of the desserts on this new show called Extreme Chef http://www.facebook.com/pages/Extreme-Chef/195324160502642

50 Blueberry Recipes » Delishhh — August 15, 2012 @ 11:39 am

[...] A Chef Blueberry Muffins – Delishhh Blueberry Orange Yogurt Muffins – Gingerbread Bagels Blueberry Quinoa Pecan Muffins – Delishhh Blueberry Streusel Muffins – Barbara [...]