Monday, May 2, 2011

Tomato and Green Bean Salad

I am back from a long needed two week vacation and ready to start cooking again.  I hope you enjoyed my fabulous guest posts from The English Organizer about organizing your kitchen and other fabulous scheduled recipes while i was gone.  I will tell you all about my vacation soon since i have lots to talk about.

But first i needed to share one of my favorite salads of all times.  I never get tired of this salad.  Plus it was featured in the new amazing magazine by House of Fifty.  If you missed it you have to go and check it out, Janell of Isabella and Max did a fabulous job and all the recipes have step by step instructions.

Raspberry & Chocolate Tort

But this simple and classic salad is perfect during a summer night.   Every time I make this I always get asked for the recipe and it could not be simpler to make.  The bottom line is that the real secret of super-fresh food is that you don’t need to do a lot to it to make it delicious. This salad belongs into that category.

My perfect combination with this salad is a great lamb burger or a great steak – really any protein right of the gill goes perfect with this salad during a nice summer night.

Tomato and Green Bean Salad

Yields: 4-6 servings | Prep Time: 20 minutes

10 oz green beans
14 oz red and yellow cherry tomatoes
2 green onions

Dressing:
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
Pinch of freshly ground pepper

Prepare the vegetables by topping the tail head of the green beans by hand of by knife and then cut them into 3 pieces (1 ½ inch pieces).  Then blanch the green beans.  To do this you put the green beans into boiling water for about 3 minutes and then throw them into a bowl filled with ice water, remove and let them dry.

Then cut the cherry tomatoes into halves and chop the green onions and set aside.

Make the dressing by combining Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.

Toss the cherry tomatoes and green onions in with the dressing; this can sit for a while.

Do not add the green beans until just before serving or they will discolor from the acid in the vinaigrette.

Enjoy!

18 Responses to “Tomato and Green Bean Salad”

Miel et Lait — May 2, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

I am always looking for a new, great vinagrette, and this one sounds simply but interesting enough to perk up the taste buds.

Nami @ Just One Cookbok — May 2, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

Hi Ewa! This salad is so simple. Only 3 ingredients + dressing. I’d love to try Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar combination. Easy to remember – same amount…. This combi is something new to me and I’m interested to try. I’m looking forward to hearing about your vacation story. :-)

Splendid Willow — May 3, 2011 @ 5:54 am

Welcome back, you have been missed!

I could eat that salad for breakfast! Soooooo good! (Yep, people I have tried it!)

Warm hugs to you,

Mon

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday — May 3, 2011 @ 6:01 am

I love a good dijon vinaigrette. It’s pretty much my go to dressing when I don’t have any good balsamic vinegar in the house.
    That salad looks great! Realy light and refreshing.

Samantha Angela — May 3, 2011 @ 6:01 am

That salad looks great! Really light and refreshing.

Dan — May 3, 2011 @ 7:33 am

wow. the colours are fantastic! Look excellent. Gotta make this at home soon.

Maddie — May 3, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

This salad is in Technicolor—wow, I wish spring veggies like *this* would visit the Midwest soon! On a related note, I am now totally craving lamb burgers…yum. :)

Maria — May 4, 2011 @ 10:10 am

Really love a colourful bowl of salad, this looks so beautiful!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — May 6, 2011 @ 3:11 am

Welcome back! Glad to hear you had a nice vacation.

Jennifer (Savor) — May 12, 2011 @ 6:21 pm

Welcome home and thank you for such a clean recipe

megan @ whatmegansmaking — May 13, 2011 @ 4:43 am

what a beautiful summer salad! It looks so fresh :)

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — May 13, 2011 @ 4:52 am

Gorgeous salad, Ewa! I’m filing this one away for our 4th of July barbecue. Thanks!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — May 13, 2011 @ 5:03 am

So springy and fresh!

Magic of Spice — May 16, 2011 @ 6:12 pm

That salad is gorgeous…will pop over and check out the magazine :)
    Hope you had a wonderful vacation!

Megan — May 18, 2011 @ 6:13 am

I bet this was good, I cant wait for the fresh bounty of Summer!

Elle — June 2, 2011 @ 8:13 am

What a wonderful salad! A must try for all of the fresh veggies we’ll be getting soon. Saving!

Delishhh » Best Recipes in 2011 — February 10, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

[...] 1. Tomato and Green Bean Salad [...]

Rotisserie Leg of Lamb » Delishhh — August 20, 2012 @ 7:51 am

[...] exhausting.  But the lamb was delicious.  I served it with Muffin Potato Gratins and my favorite Tomato and Green Bean Salad. Then for dessert we had some Rum Raisin Ice Cream to cool us [...]