Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Bread

I am always looking for things to do with my old bananas.  When I saw this recipe Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Bread recipe I knew I had to try it out.  I had both items going bad and this was perfect timing.  I ended up doing two loafs.  One with Chocolate Chips and one with dates and walnuts.  I do have to admit that the chocolate one was slightly better.   And don’t forget to wrap your bread in a towel.  It makes a huge difference.  This bread will not only be gummy but it will dry out quickly.

Enjoy!

1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 cup chocolate chips, raisins, dried fruit, nuts, or a mixture of any of these

Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease a standard-sized loaf pan.

Beat together the eggs, honey, banana, brown sugar, and vanilla until well-combined.

In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.  Mix into the egg/banana mixture just until combined.

Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips, just until combined.

Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Let rest for 20 minutes before removing from the loaf pan.  Cool completely on a wire rack.

For best results, store loosely draped with a kitchen towel. Wrapping your bread in plastic or foil will result in gummy texture.

One Year Ago: Summer Watermelon and Tomato Salad

34 Responses to “Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Bread”

Katrina — August 16, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

Ooh, that looks really good. I just posted a zucchini recipe, too, and still have a couple more to use up–I just might have to try this!

Shelby — August 17, 2011 @ 1:10 am

I’ll be bookmarking this one! The loaf is beautiful and I love the look of the inside of the loaf.

• Cassandra replied: — August 18th, 2011 @ 11:01 pm

Me too. I’ll keep a reference. It’s perfect for my upcoming tea party with my friends. Gonna try it first on small serving this weekend. :D

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 17, 2011 @ 3:50 am

haha i just made a zucchini bread last night, but i have never thought to add bananas before! methinks that needs to happen ASAP!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — August 17, 2011 @ 4:20 am

That’s a gorgeous loaf, Ewa! I’m the same, too, I always seem to have bananas that are going bad before we use them. This is a perfect way to use them up.

Heidi / foodiecrush mag — August 17, 2011 @ 5:29 am

This recipe is exactly what I was looking for. My daughter loves banana bread and I have a plethora of zucchini so it’s going to be a party in the oven. Thanks for the post.

Georgia Pellegrini — August 17, 2011 @ 6:27 am

Yum! I had chocolate zucchini bread the other day but this is on my list next!

Faith — August 17, 2011 @ 8:21 am

Love this bead. There is nothing more delicious or healtheir than this bread.

Peachie — August 17, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

I made zucchini banana bread once but the texture was a little odd. Will have to try this recipe as it look much better than mine! Thanks for sharing!

Deeba Rajpal (@vindee) — August 17, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

That looks delicious & healthy too. I really need to get more adventurous with zucchini Ewa, and there couldn’t be a better way. What a great looking loaf!

Sneh | Cook Republic — August 17, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

Love the color of the bread! It is gorgeous :-)

blackbookkitchendiaries — August 18, 2011 @ 6:12 am

i just made a batch of zucchini bread:) i just love how u added bananas in them… they sound amazing! thank you for sharing this.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — August 21, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

I love that you combined zucchini and banana bread! Especially since there are chocolate chips:-)

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — August 22, 2011 @ 4:33 am

great looking healthy bread!

carolinaheartstrings — August 22, 2011 @ 10:28 am

Love the recipe and the tip about wrapping it in a kitchen towel. Thanks. Come over and visit us. We have a wonderful tomato pie recipe today.

Katherine Martinelli — August 24, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

Recipe bookmarked. I cannot wait to try this!!!

Javad Amini — August 26, 2011 @ 6:17 am

Looks very good

tandteacake — August 26, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

How great is that! I’ve been a sucker for zucchini all summer long and just did a zucchini-almond loaf myself! Looking at those brownish looking bananas right in front of me, I know what to do next.

Tobias

Fia Sandberg — September 8, 2011 @ 12:24 am

Looks very nice!

Lemon & Courgette Cupcakes – Eggs, cream and honey — September 8, 2011 @ 3:10 am

[...] and Carrot Cake Cupcakes Zucchini Cookies Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Bread Chipotle Zucchini Cheddar Biscuits Share this:ShareLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

Janet Austin — December 11, 2011 @ 9:42 am

i just made a batch of zucchini bread:) i just love how u added bananas in them… they sound amazing! That looks delicious & healthy too.

Best Recipes in 2011 — Delishhh — January 2, 2012 @ 8:39 pm

[...] 5. Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Bread [...]

Tamera Bray — March 4, 2012 @ 6:56 am

Looking at those brownish looking bananas right in front of me, I know what to do next. Will have to try this recipe as it look much better than mine! We have a wonderful tomato pie recipe today. great looking healthy bread!

Mary Ryan — June 15, 2012 @ 2:49 am

Thank you so much on the “wrap it in a kitchen towel” tip. I always noticed that my loaves would end up gummy or dry and knew it was somehow the way I was storing it,but couldn’t figure it out. I’ll be spreading the word!! : )))

• Delishhh replied: — June 15th, 2012 @ 3:43 am

Mary – Oh so glad i could help!!!

Blueberry Pie - Delishhh — August 12, 2012 @ 7:39 pm

[...] Year Ago: Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Bread Two Years Ago: Summer Watermelon and Tomato Salad Posted by Delishhh on August 12, 2012 Leave a [...]

50 Blueberry Recipes » Delishhh — August 15, 2012 @ 10:06 am

[...] Year Ago: Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Bread Two Years Ago: Spinach with Sesame Oil Posted by Delishhh on August 15, 2012 Leave a Comment [...]

Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Bread — August 17, 2012 @ 4:18 am

[...] Adapted from Delishhh [...]

Stepping Away — August 27, 2012 @ 5:52 am

[...] was what I needed. It gave me time to do some things that didn’t involve the computer like baking zucchini banana chocolate chip bread (oh.my.gosh.amazing!), going on long walks, catching up with friends that live far away, taking a [...]

Best Recipes in 2012 — February 13, 2013 @ 9:39 pm

[...] 4. Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Bread [...]

Kate — May 2, 2013 @ 8:46 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! I noticed on your bio that you’re from Seattle – I’m currently a Seattle U student! It’s great to find a local blog, thank you for this recipe and an overall amazing site!

• Delishhh replied: — May 5th, 2013 @ 1:00 pm

Kate – So much fun to hear from local readers. I am very close to Seattle U. If you every eat at new awesome local restaurant please let me know, always out and about trying new places.

Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Bread Recipe | Healthy Bread — November 25, 2013 @ 5:00 pm

[...] to find a summery recipe to make and she didn’t disappoint. As soon as I stumbled on this Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Bread I knew that was what I’d be making. To me, summer always equals zucchini bread because there [...]

Rose DeMuth — May 3, 2014 @ 5:19 pm

I love to bake would you email me the recipe.
    We will arrive 5/9/14 to Kona for 1 week.

Rose