Monday, February 4, 2013

Chocolate Kahlua Mousse

Love mousse, but real mouse is made with raw eggs but many will not eat it because for raw egg.  Today there are many other ways of making mousse without raw eggs and this is a very simple and easy way of first making custard and then mixing it and refrigerating it.  This Chocolate Kahlua Mousse is so simple and delicious.  The only issue is that you have to pretty much make this the night before.

It is time for Secret Recipe Club.  This recipe is part of the monthly Secret Recipe Club “assignment!” Every month you get a name of a blog and you need to choose ANY recipe from that blog and then blog about that recipe by a date. It’s a secret because the blog owner does not know you are doing this until the reveal date. My secret blog this month was Dancing Veggies, which is written by Amanda.  Amanda writes a great food blog that focuses on healthy vegetarian food on a budget.

Chocolate Kahlua Mousse

Yield: 4 servings

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp Kahlua
1 egg & 1 egg yolk
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Heat the cream in a medium saucepan over low heat. In a separate bowl whip the eggs for about 2 minutes. Once the cream is simmering and some of the cream to the eggs and mix, then add the egg/cream mixture back into the pot slowly. Add the Kahlua and continue to simmer for 20 minutes. Do not walk away from this pot, if it boils you will have scrambled eggs. Stir frequently and make sure the mixture doesn't boil.

Break up the chocolate chips in a blender, using the crush or chop function, and then slowly add the hot liquid to the blender. Turn setting to puree and blend well for at least 5 minutes. The mixture will expand to around 4 cups.

Pour in to wine glasses or ramekins and place in the fridge for at least 6 hrs to set. Enjoy!

Even the non-set mousse still found a home and tasted similar to a Kahlua milkshake, which is not a bad thing in my opinion.

Adapted from: Dancing Veggies

One Year Ago: Blue Cheese and Bacon Dip
Two Years Ago: Hard Meringues

22 Responses to “Chocolate Kahlua Mousse”

Heather @ Heather's Dish — February 4, 2013 @ 9:37 am

This literally looks like heaven in a ramekin. LITERALLY.

melissa@IWasBornToCook — February 4, 2013 @ 9:53 am

LOVE this!

cooking rookie — February 4, 2013 @ 12:46 pm

Kahlua must be wonderful in a chocolate mousse. Great pick for SRC!

Lisa~~ — February 4, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

Rich, thick, boozy and delicious mousse…nothing better.
    I’d love for you to check out my SRC entry Lemon Almond Biscotti.

Lisa~~

Trisha — February 4, 2013 @ 7:50 pm

Ewa, what a yummy find for this month’s SRC! Looks great!

Leigh — February 4, 2013 @ 9:02 pm

Unfortunately, I’m one of those people that have an issue with raw egg, so I love, love, love the look of this recipe. Your photos are gorgeous also!

Katarina — February 4, 2013 @ 9:31 pm

Looks divine!

Katherine Martinelli — February 5, 2013 @ 6:26 am

Oh wow – the texture looks absolutely perfect!! And love the flavors!

Isabelle @ Crumb — February 5, 2013 @ 3:56 pm

This looks positively heavenly! It sounds like it would be fun to play with different liqueurs too, just to change up the flavour… though you can never go wrong with chocolate and Kahlua in my books. :)

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — February 7, 2013 @ 7:21 am

Need this in my life!!

dixya @ food, pleasure, and health — February 7, 2013 @ 9:56 am

just give me a spoonful and i will be in heaven. This looks so divine and I m a big chocolate liquor person and this is something I literally eat every day :)

Margaret — February 11, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

Love Mousse. This looks great.

Jamie @ Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom — February 17, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

That looks so good! It is exactly the type of dessert I just can’t resist!
    ~Jamie

sara — February 20, 2013 @ 10:16 am

OMG, this looks incredible! Totally delicious. :)

Medeja — February 21, 2013 @ 12:51 am

This mousse looks very delicious! I’ll take double :D

Mary — February 21, 2013 @ 5:30 am

Most if not all of the comments so far are saying it looks great, but I see none about anyone who actually made this recipe. I did and found it disappointing. The taste was OK, but the texture was nothing like the picture or a mousse. I followed the directions exactly, but it results in a much harder texture, even after sitting out for an hour or more. Definitely not a mousse or anything I would make again.

• Delishhh replied: — February 21st, 2013 @ 8:15 am

Mary,

Thank you for your comment. I totally agree with you that this is not 100% mousse like, i would actually almost say it is between mouse and pot de creme. But i am sorry you didn’t like it. I have done it twise and just love it. I make it in small containers with whipped cream on it. I also use high end chcocolate, i think that makes a big difference. As far as getting too hard, i am not sure what happened. Hopefully nothing was boiled. Again thanks for the comment and sorry it didn’t turn out what you were expecting.

Anne — February 22, 2013 @ 5:25 am

Mary, I made the recipe as well – it was delicious, but it was much much thicker/stiffer than mousse. I found it very hard to keep it FROM boiling as things reduced over those 20 minutes of simmering that I started to wonder if the 20 was a typo.

martinchan — February 23, 2013 @ 8:19 pm

thanks for the sharing food recipes information .

Overnight Refrigerator Oatmeal with Berries — March 4, 2013 @ 8:58 am

[...] This recipe is part of the monthly Secret Recipe Club“assignment!” Every month you get a name of a blog and you need to choose ANY recipe from that blog and then blog about that recipe by a date. It’s a secret because the blog owner does not know you are doing this until the reveal date. My secret blog this month was Barbara Bakes, which is written by Barbara. I have actually know Barbara in the blog land ever since i started.  So when i got her blog i was very excited.  There is a long list of things i want to make from her blog, i just knew i wanted to try this recipe first.  But i am also going to make her pumpkin monkey bread and the Lemon Bar Cookies.  So if you have never been to Barbara’s site go and visit.  It’s just awesome and gorgeous.  [...]

Patrina Wulffraat — April 16, 2013 @ 9:58 am

A wine glass is a type of glass stemware that is used to drink and taste wine. It is generally composed of three parts: the bowl, stem, and foot. Selection of a particular wine glass for a wine style is important, as the glass shape can influence its perception.^

Remember to read this useful web site

track affiliate sales — July 6, 2014 @ 11:13 pm

It is hard to understand why there are people who appear to have an aversion towards letting other people make some money.
    For me, the exciting part of affiliate marketing is the ability to continue to do this right into retirement.

It’s amazing how many people leave these on after purchasing the
    car ‘ they’re like traveling billboards for the dealership.