Thursday, September 9, 2010

Peach Sorbet

Since peaches have been on sale I have had peaches around the house for weeks and been looking for all these peach recipes to make.  Well this was one of my favorite peach recipes.  In the past my sorbets haven’t been the best; too sour, too sweet, too icy or lumpy.  But this one was the best I have ever made and also the tastiest.  I do have to say this  base recipe was a key and I am just going to experiment with other flavors with this base from now on.

I found this recipes from The Kitchen they had a nectarine sorbet recipe that I just switched to peaches.  And it turned out much better than I ever thought.

The trick I learned to making a good sorbet is that you need to make a simple syrup to sweeten it, straight sugar won’t have a good texture.  Then the mixture needs a dash of alcohol to inhibit the freezing process, otherwise your sorbet will be a brick. This formula is very easy and it should work with any fruit, just be sure to taste the mixture for sweetness and acid.

Peach Sorbet

Yield: One quart

Prep Time: 20 minutes | Ice Cream Maker Time: Around 2 hours

2 pounds (about 4 medium) peaches, skinned, pitted
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp rum

Prepare an ice bath and put aside. Then in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and 1 cup water; bring to a boil then lower heat to medium and cook until the sugar has completely dissolved, 8-10 minutes. Transfer the syrup to a small metal mixing bowl set over an ice bath. Stir occasionally until cooled to room temperature.

Slice the peaches into chunks and place in a food processor with the syrup, lemon juice and rum. Process until smooth.

Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

16 Responses to “Peach Sorbet”

redmenace — September 9, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

Thanks for sharing your sorbet secrets. This looks sooo refreshing and wonderful. The name of your blog, as always, does not disappoint!

Stacey — September 9, 2010 @ 4:06 pm

Yum, yum, Yum, i’m literally salivating!

Wyletter — September 9, 2010 @ 7:06 pm

This recipe looks delicious. Peach is my favorite fruit. I can’t wait to make the sorbet. Love your blog.

• Delishhh replied: — September 15th, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

Wylette – Thanks for coming by. Your blog is great. I also love peach. You will see tons of peach recipes here now. I have so many peaches here that all i have been doing are peach recipes.

grace — September 10, 2010 @ 11:41 pm

what a light and refreshing treat! i’ve seen many uses for peaches lately, but this is particularly appealing on a steamy day like today. 🙂

• Delishhh replied: — September 15th, 2010 @ 8:12 pm

Grace – Nice to see you! Ohh i have had so many peaches that i didn’t know what to do with them, so the past few weeks i have only posted a bunch of peach recipes :).

privet and holly — September 11, 2010 @ 5:19 am

Your name has crossed
    my radar twice in the last
    few days, so had to pop
    over and see what was
    callling me! So glad to
    find you and I will be a
    regular follower once
    I’m home and on my own
    computer! {I’m out of
    town this weekend.} My
    parents live in SW Washington
    State, so I know that I
    will love your recipes….
    I lived in Walla Walla for
    a year as a child and just
    saw a pic in your sidebar!
    Plus, a friend of Monika’s
    has got to be lovely : )
    Hope you are enjoying
    the weekend. THIS recipe
    looks divine!
    xx Suzanne

• Delishhh replied: — September 15th, 2010 @ 8:16 pm

Suzanne – So nice to have you here. I hope you enjoyed your weekend away. I had no idea you used to live in Walla Walla. I love it there. It’s like a little gem. The restaurants there are fabulous and the wine fab as well. I have been there twice now for a long weekend and had a great time both times. Always surprised by how good the food is. Where in SW are your parents now?

Juliana — September 11, 2010 @ 8:26 am

Wow, this peach sorbet looks so pretty, the color is quite attractive and must taste really good with a touch of rum, so yummie and refreshing!

• Delishhh replied: — September 15th, 2010 @ 8:23 pm

Juliana – Hi again – another peach recipe 🙂 I hope you like peaches. This sorbe turned out so good i was a little surprised about it.

Reeni — September 11, 2010 @ 5:43 pm

A peach sorbet sounds positively divine! I bet the little touch of rum adds a nice subtle flavor to it that makes it scrumptious.

• Delishhh replied: — September 15th, 2010 @ 8:24 pm

Reeni – Nice to see you here. Oh this peach recipe was heaven. So much tastier than i thought.

Carrie — September 12, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

I love all your peach recipes! I’ve been enjoying peaches to the max lately too. I have yet to make sorbet or ice cream, it always sounds so hard! I admire you for that.

• Delishhh replied: — September 15th, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

Carrie – I am so glad you like peaches 🙂 So what are some of the great peach stuff you are recommending? Now i have also a bunch of pineapple and trying to figure out what to make of that. Any ideas?

Chocolate Gelato — Delishhh — April 2, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

[…] Ice Cream Peach Sorbet Ice Cream Petite Fours Chocolate Panna […]

Pink Grapefruit and Campari Sorbet — Delishhh — April 4, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

[…] Muffins — Delishhh on Rye Bread – Swedish LimpaChocolate Gelato — Delishhh on Peach SorbetTortilla Soup — Delishhh on Passover Traditions, Kugel and BrisketMegan on Tortilla […]