Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chocolate Gelato

I am one of those crazy people that will tell you that I prefer ice cream over gelato.  It has to do with growing up in Sweden and the ice cream I remember was so creamy that i just got attached to it as a kid. The only ice cream I eat in the US is Häagen-Dazs since that is the only thing that comes as close to the creaminess I remember as a kid.  Not fat free, not low fat, not frozen yogurt, just the real stuff.   The other stuff just does not satisfy me. I do now and then find specialty shops here and there that make some great ice cream as well.  But gelato I never really enjoyed.

I am also one of those crazy people that will tell you if there was only one dessert that you can eat for the rest of your life it would choose ice cream.

Since I have been experimenting with ice cream at home I decided to experiment with gelato as well.

Well this recipe was a winner.  I think I might just like this chocolate gelato more than any other ice cream I have done at home.

I know that at the end this is not true gelato since gelato has to churn at a slower speed than ice cream and my ice cream maker only has one speed.  But gelato is made with a greater proportion of whole milk to cream (also less air but again I have this one speed ice cream maker and can’t control that).  But somehow with the ice cream maker the ratio of cream to milk this was just so smooth and creamy, not thick like ice cream but creamy enough and the flavor was out of this world.

I have made this ice cream a few times and used different kinds of chocolates and they all work great.  I think Ferrero Rocher was probably my favorite though.

I served this gelato at a dinner party, and the bowls were licked.

Chocolate Gelato

Adapted from Ina Garten

2¼ cups whole milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
¾ cup sugar, divided
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Scharffen Bergen)
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (Scharffen Bergen 70%)
4 extra-large egg yolks
2 tbsp Bailey’s Irish Cream
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Large pinch of kosher salt
8 chocolates, roughly chopped (Baci, Toblerone or Ferrero Rocher)

Heat the milk, cream, and ½ cup sugar in a 2-quart saucepan, until the sugar dissolves and the milk starts to simmer. Add the cocoa powder and chocolate and whisk until smooth. Pour into a heat-proof measuring cup.

Place the egg yolks and the remaining ¼ cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on high speed for 3-5 minutes, until light yellow and very thick. With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the hot chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Pour the egg and chocolate mixture back into the 2-quart saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. A candy thermometer will register about 180 degrees. Don’t allow the mixture to boil!

Pour the mixture through a sieve into a bowl and stir in the Bailey’s, vanilla, and salt. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the custard and chill completely.

Pour the custard into the bowl of an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s directions. Stir in the chocolates (Baci, Toblerone or Ferro Rocher), and freeze in quart containers. Allow the gelato to thaw slightly before serving.

Other Similar Recipes:

Honey Ice Cream
Peach Sorbet
Ice Cream Petite Fours
Chocolate Panna Cotta

Year Ago: Quiche

33 Responses to “Chocolate Gelato”

Barbara @moderncomfortfood — March 16, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

Sensational, Ewa! Although I feel a bit guilty about it — my family owns a small, organic dairy farm, and raw cream is always in plentiful supply — I’ve been making more gelato lately and enjoying its contrast with richer, creamier, and fluffier home made ice cream. Your recipe here is simply stunning, and I look forward to trying it.

deeba — March 16, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

As Barbara said, it really is sensational. I would love to try your recipe soon. Particularly love the twist with different chocolates in there. Delishhhh!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 17, 2011 @ 3:37 am

My parents owned an ice cream stand when I was growing up and we made homemade gelato with flavoring imported from Italy. I think I might always have a soft spot in my heart for gelato over ice cream, though, I always felt that they were interchangeable, even though there are differences.

sonia — March 17, 2011 @ 6:29 am

Yummiest chocolate gelato, wud love to have it… !

Kathryn — March 17, 2011 @ 6:39 am

I’m the opposite of you- I love all things soft serve/frozen yogurt/gelato, but I’m not a huge fan of regular ice cream! This chocolate gelato looks incredible! Love how it looks a bit melty…mmm…

Katrina — March 17, 2011 @ 8:35 am

That. looks. divine.

carolinaheartstrings — March 17, 2011 @ 8:37 am

That looks so fantastic. I love gelato and my fav place just closed up. I am going to try your recipe!

Maddie — March 17, 2011 @ 10:33 am

I’m thisclose from licking my computer screen—although something tells me this would be a very bad idea.

P.S.: I’ve always loved your photography, Ewa, but it’s gotten even more stunning lately! Any secrets? The framing is perfect and the images just pop off the page. Lovely!

• Delishhh replied: — March 18th, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

Maddie – you know you made my day when i read this! The thing lacking on my blog was my photography and after reading the camera manual and doing trial and error for awhile and i wasn’t getting any better i decided to find help elsewhere. About three weeks ago i took a 4 hour food photography class from a professional food photographer. Then the only other thing is i got a tripod. No new camera, no new fancy lens. Now i try to take my pictures during the daylight as much as i can and i use my tripod. That is pretty much it. Now i just need to continue to practice and practice.

Joshua — March 17, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

Gelato? Ice Cream? I grew up loving gelato and loving ice cream for the Universty of Wisconsin’s Babcock Hall.
    Ice cream and gelato are close cousins, and if everything is delicious, why pay attention to family feuds?
    Beautiful picture, made my mouth water.

Allison @ Alli 'n Son — March 17, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

I’ve been addicted ever since the gelato shop opened in town. Sadly is has long since closed, and there is no where to get good gelato anymore. Your recipe sounds wonderful.

I’d like to invite you to share this recipe on my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/17/soft-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Maria @ Scandifoodie — March 17, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

Yum, this looks so delicious!!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — March 18, 2011 @ 12:20 am

Well I’m glad to hear that it changed your mind about gelato! I’ve always liked the intense flavors of gelato, and with 3 different kinds of chocolates added here this sounds like it’s got plenty of intensity.

Big boys Oven — March 18, 2011 @ 1:49 am

truly melting!

Amanda — March 18, 2011 @ 3:38 am

Well it looks marvelous, even if it was churned at one speed! :) I’m like you, I would pick ice cream if I could only choose one dessert to have the rest of my life.

patsy — March 18, 2011 @ 4:51 am

Wow… I would have a hard time resisting that gelato! I am a big ice cream lover, but anything creamy and decadent will make me hard-pressed to say no!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — March 18, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

Fantastic recipe, Ewa! I just love gelato and chocolate is my favorite so you know I’ll be trying this recipe as soon as possible.

Cookin' Canuck — March 19, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

That is the creamiest, most tempting chocolate gelato I have seen in a long time. Wonderful!

Stitchfork — March 21, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Oh quick, I need a spoon before thise treat melts!
    Cathy

Megan — March 22, 2011 @ 7:03 am

Ice cream, gelato, I love it all. This sounds sinfully delicious!

Cathy — March 25, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

Oh, that looks so scrumptious!

Sweet Tooth Favorites — March 26, 2011 @ 4:02 am

[...] Chocolate Gelato by Delishhh [...]

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — March 27, 2011 @ 12:32 am

Oh yum that looks absolutely delicious!! I love gelato :) Bookmarked!

Suzanne — March 28, 2011 @ 10:38 am

I share your love of ice cream, it is an addiction here. I’ve experimented with it too. This gelato looks very rich and yummy. I have got to try it. Have your every tried Blue Bell ice cream its a delicious brand it originated in TX.

help me pick a recipe | duesettimane — July 28, 2011 @ 7:55 pm

[...] looks just right though: lots of milk, little cream, eggs to make it nice and creamy. hmmm. also this crazy person who prefers ice cream to gelato (wtf?) vouches for it, and while i think he’s crazy, he makes [...]

Chocolate Gelato and The Secret Recipe Club | Amanda's Cookin' — September 9, 2011 @ 8:46 am

[...] found this recipe on my friend Ewa’s blog, Delishhh. The moment I saw it I knew I wanted to try it, so it went [...]

Alicia Duran — December 13, 2011 @ 10:05 pm

This looks fantastic, so rich and decadent! What a wonderful post.

Best Recipes in 2011 — Delishhh — January 3, 2012 @ 8:50 am

[...] 6. Chocolate Gelato [...]

MMT — June 12, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

Thank you very much for publishing this recipe! I used my ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid stand mixer, and this gelato turned out beautifully, as it allowed me to mix at a slower speed. I lived a long time in Italy and really missed the gelato because it was never too sweet; this proved authentic and I really appreciate it! Please keep up the great work :)

Best Recipes in 2012 — February 12, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

[...] 10.  Chocolate Gelato [...]

Pink Grapefruit and Campari Sorbet » Delishhh — June 17, 2013 @ 9:08 am

[...] Other Similar Recipes: Peach Sorbet Honey Ice Cream Chocolate Gelato [...]

housewares — October 9, 2013 @ 6:45 am

I like the Chocolate, any chocolate recipe will be good for sharing

ankara matematik özel ders — November 6, 2014 @ 6:43 pm

At this moment I am ready to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming again to read additional news.